De-restricting speed on the Greenworks Stealth 60V minibike?

Toshi

10 kW
Has anyone come across info on how to lift the 25 mph speed limit on the 60V minibike? I realize range would be lost but it'd be safer on nominally 30 or 35 mph speed limit roads if it didn't have said limiter.

Failing that, has anyone swapped in a different controller on one?

Thanks in advance. Here's mine:

429842145_1389624688370304_6338247905410772773_n.jpg

(And since the days of yore I've gone through some other bikes. Current e-stable, unless I forgot one: this minibike, Juiced RipCurrent S, RadWagon 4, Pivot Shuttle, Motobecane E5000-based city bike for eldest kid, Motobecane E6000 e-mtb for wife, and a OneWheel Pint.)

Maybe that's what speed you get with the winding of motor they designed. In that case, there's no speed limiter.

You could replace the controller to one with phase advance / field weakening to get more speed, but you would probably end up replacing the throttle, etc in the process. This might overstress the battery though.

Maybe that's what speed you get with the winding of motor they designed. In that case, there's no speed limiter.
You can test for that by simply lifting the driven wheel off ground and retesting. If it shows the identical speed either way, it's limited in the controller. If it's a little bit faster offground, it's limited by the motor windings / system voltage. If it's a lot faster offground, it's limited by the power of the system (battery and controller).

In all cases, replacing the controller is likely necessary, and in the latter two the battery would also need to be replaced; the first for a higher voltage battery, and for the second a higher amp (and Ah to make up the range) battery. May also need the latter for the second scenario as well, if the power required for the higher speed exceeds what the original specification can do.

Are the suspension, brakes, tires, etc. already capable of the higher speeds? If not, replacing those would also be a really good idea.

In addition to what amberwolf rightly said, some controllers have a hardware speed limit which works by shorting a wire.
In which case, you might have a small wire coming from the controller that is plugged to another wire of the same color going directly back to the controller, making some kind of little loop.
If that is the case, you simply disconnect it to open the loop and then the controller speed is unlocked.

Back