Delta trikes vs tadpole trikes

by Papa » Aug 07 2020 1:34am

In 2009 (or thereabouts), Randy Schlitter, (the Owner and aircraft design wizard of RANS), brazenly exploited the possibilities of the Delta platform - then proceeded to mass produced it. Make NO mistake, when the pilot's seat is properly positioned and anchored... the number of wheels behind you, or in front... makes damn little difference.

That looks sweet, long hauler.

I think the question would be usage: what do you want to do with your trike ? If you want to be the fastest on the street, there are many good commercial tadpoles available - albight for a hefty price. If you want to carry stuff, nothing beats a delta with a strong diff and 2x heavy duty wheels.
I designed a trike myself (never built it though) and went for a full suspension delta design. That way some leaning would be possible and help during corners and still plenty of space behind the seat to transport all kinds of things.

by qwerkus » Oct 09 2020 9:34am

I think the question would be usage: what do you want to do with your trike ? If you want to be the fastest on the street, there are many good commercial tadpoles available - albight for a hefty price. If you want to carry stuff, nothing beats a delta with a strong diff and 2x heavy duty wheels.
I designed a trike myself (never built it though) and went for a full suspension delta design. That way some leaning would be possible and help during corners and still plenty of space behind the seat to transport all kinds of things.

Have a tadpole trike and it's works well for what I built it for. Would like a bit more comfort on longer rides, longer, higher load rating, not to high off the ground and easy to pull a trailer. Would like to design a frame that would be a long wide battery box with front and rear wheels. Thinking of buying a recumbent bike. That delta low rider looks nice but don't think they sell them any more.

Physics doesn't care what century it is. A delta will tip over under heavy braking combined with heavy cornering forces more easily than a tadpole (assuming the with the same wheelbase width and length, and the same C of G height )

If those conditions aren't the same on both vehicles, any comparison is meaningless.

Back