DH frames for freeriding

Dingus,

Moto trials and bicycle trials are very different activities, but in any case I'm using that "style" as a description for the type of riding I enjoy rather than the focused competitive activity. I'd love to have a proper electric trials motorbike but that will need to happen down the road. A lower top tube would be nice but I'm not hugely concerned with that so long as I can stand over flat footed which should be possible with a small moto seat if I go that direction. I could drop wheel size but ground clearance also matters.
This video shows both the terrain and riding style I'm talking about:
https://youtu.be/XWYNgvHmsTE

Most bicycle riding is about flowing trails which preserve momentum, where and how I ride is very different. I'm always looking for new lines to ride over rocks etc and I spend little time above 20mph but I need to be able to build speed very quickly. Hence why 3kw is about the minimum I need and I'd prefer to avoid shifting. Hopefully I can heal this shoulder and perhaps get some video to show my riding area.

I think you misunderstood my weight loss. I'm 6' and went from 210# to 175#, I don't intend to lose more but rather gain back 5# while dropping body fat into the 12-15% range which is considered the ideal for anyone except endurance runners and bodybuilders.

My statement about batteries on the legs (or perhaps hips?) was about getting the weight low. Ideally they'd be under the bottom tube and I'm working on a mount to get most of them down there. If I didn't care about removal or keeping the bike slim enough to peddle then it would be an easy task. In hind sight I wish I'd been able to fine RC lipos for a reasonable price but these packs do seem extremely robust and scale able (I've ridden it with just 66v/6ah quite happily).

Hopefully that offers some clarification.

Grantmac,

I have shortened my steering tillers length by the width of the spacing of the 4 bolt pattern. I essentially slid the bars closer to the rider. I did this because I feel the longer arm created a slightly slower response making for essentially under steering on those quick jerking turns. It is fine tuning.

Have you got any of your build out of your fear full of ideas????

I've built a new motor mount that has almost zero flex along with a vastly superior tensioner. Gotten 12ah/66v of batteries mounted (somewhat) on the downtube and other than some clearance issues at full compression it's all going well.
The 60mm stem seems to work well although I've had to extend the forks fully for as much clearance as possible so the steering is a little slow.

Currently geared for 34kph in first but I'm finding that doesn't climb everything and the motor is quite hot after a while. I can still hold it but not with total comfort.

I've also been commuting it for a few weeks 20km a day and it's fantastic. I can just barely match cadence with light throttle on the flat and let it spin up hill.

Now I've found another bike which I'm going to attempt an independent driveline build on. Just selecting motor at the moment but leaning towards QS1000 mid-drive.

Back