• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Dillenger Conversion Kit 1000W 48V REAR 26' Li-Ion Battery

headwind

10 W
Warning: e-bikes are contagious! Having been infected by a member here, now I have passed it on to someone myself. He bought a Dillenger conversion kit off Ebay, and today we had a showdown between it and my 44v LiPo commuter.

It's a comprehensive kit (including battery), the only thing missing is the rear cassette. But his existing 6 speed MTB cassette bolted straight on, so no dramas there. The kit included a pedal assist sensor, but he couldn't be bothered installing that (like me, he prefers a throttle) so I can't comment on that aspect. Also, he's running rim brakes, so we also don't know the compatibility with disc brakes. The kit installed onto a mountain bike without dramas (no soldering required), and so far has been totally reliable. In my opinion, the wire thickness and connectors are a bit poxy for pumping 20 amps through, it is working fine for the moment though. Given the low price, it will be interesting to see how it goes in the long run.

The power display for the handlebars gives inconsistent readings, but the readout on the battery itself seems accurate. Speaking of the battery, it's a very nicely packaged unit which sits in an inconspicuous bottle-esque container. The only downside is that it's only 6Ah, which isn't really enough range (after just a couple of days with it, my friend is already looking at adding capacity). Replacement batteries cost a surprisingly high proportion of the total kit cost. But the battery packaging is really neat and it fits nice and low on the bike, therefore the handling isn't compromised. Charging is easy, with a connector on the bottom. It is also easily removable and is key locked onto the bike. Very nice.

I'd assumed the motor was a direct drive unit (it's bigger diameter than my BPM 36v500W), but it freewheels nicely so it might actually be clutched. There's enough acceleration for the average commuter, at low speed it had a slight advantage over my 44v 30A bike. As the speed increased, my bike started pulling away, probably exaggerated by my 700C wheels vs its smaller 26" MTB wheels. Top speed was around 35km/h, certainly enough for getting from A to B. While my friend was deciding which kit to buy, I warned that 36v would not be enough for him, and I think he's glad he went for a 48v setup. My opinion is that the brake lever motor cutout function is pointless, but others might appreciate the extra protection against a runaway bike! The throttle control was very smooth, and the electric setup felt perfectly healthy at all times.

Very impressive, especially considering the price.

Wow, thanks for the review headwind. I was just looking at the Dillenger's on ebay. 6ah seems very low indeed but then again the price is quite low. thanks again!

You're welcome, glad someone has read it!

Aside from a minor niggle or 2, it's holding up well. So if a range of 20km is enough for you, I'd recommend it as a plug'n'play kit.

Thanks for the review.

I'm looking to upgrade my 250W 36V hub motor to something that will give me a higher cruising speed. Currently I cruise at 26 kph and would like to increase that to around 30 kph. The Dillinger is on my possible list but 1,000W seems way over the top and a 6 AmpHr battery seems way too small as the distance I want to do between charges is 40 km. Even with a second battery there's be little in reserve to deal with headwinds.

Any thoughts.

Yeah 48v is a bit overkill, but it is the next commonly used voltage up from 36v. If you go for something custom in between, it could bite you down the track.

For 40km, I recommend at least 10Ah of battery (unless you pedal heaps to achieve less than 8 Whr/km). A 2nd Dillenger battery will get you there, but it isn't as convenient as one larger battery and the cost of the 2nd battery means it suddenly isn't such good value.

Hi,

I'm quite interested in this Dillenger kit. Any updates on how it is holding up?

cheers,
Charlie

Still going strong.

Interestingly, Dillenger are now saying their kits are all "Lithium Ion" now. My friends' seems to be LiFePo4 (EDIT: turns out it's probably LiMn2O4), it's ~54v hot off the charger and the battery seems to heavy for LiPo.

EDIT: the following text is probably wrong, since I assumed "Lithium Ion" = LiCoO2 (typical "LiPo")
So perhaps they have changed over to LiPo in the last few months. Or there is some confusion about Li-Ion vs LiPo, because strangely their kits are still 48v, not 44v (it could be 13S LiPo but that's an unusual configuration)

Another friend has bought this kit (dammit, I want kickbacks from Dillenger!!). Very easy install, he's got little experience playing with bikes and managed to blitz through it (he didn't bother with the brake cutouts or pedal assist though).

The mystery of the battery chemistry is finally solved! This has baffled me for a while now, since their website says "Lithium Ion" but I always thought it was too heavy to be LiPo. Turns out it's LiMn2O4. I can't find much info on this chemistry, but it seems to be less explosive and heavier than "normal" (LiCoO2) LiPo?

(previous posts in this thread ninja-edited to avoid confusion)

I asked dillinger lots of questions almost a year ago, when they first started advertising the kits, for me I came to the conclusion - not enough power.

Since then I have been using compared to that dilinger kit a lot bigger and heavier and more reliable stuff. HOwever recently have dropped down in weight and size with a small 12s (2 bricks). I dont mind pedalling again because the a lot of the weight is gone and the leg room is back to a normal bike. If I stick to 30kmh which is easy to set however much limiting you want with the cav3, I can get 20km. The biggest drawback is that my motor is a huge crystalyte 4065 so is not made for this style of riding.

If I could start again, I would buy mac motor which freewheels almost like a bicycle, is much lighter, and only have bought a couple of lipo.

The fun thing with 50v hot off the charge is I can still go blast 10v if in 10kms if I get the urge to fly at 50kmh. I do it once a week, the other times I can limit my bike down to the same specs you get out of your batteries and I charge every few days to get around my suburb...

im never going to buy a cheap ebay kit again, especially the battery. The battery from what I have learnt through two kits now is the most important part.

Back