DIY Ebike Finding The Right Base Bike

Hayes seem like $250 each online. Considering the requirement was to stay under $500 for the whole donor bike, I think they are disqualified due to blowing the entire budget for a pair.

Inanek,

Good point..Yes, Hayes brakes would blow the budget. So, at a max of $500 the builder may have to build for sufficiency rather than suitability?

As I mention i do have the barely sufficient Avid brakes on one bike and i do ride it accordingly.

Last edited:
If going pretty fast, up to 55km/h - 65km/h on pretty smooth bitumen roads, is a rear shock useful for stability or not such a big deal? Can anyone comment? I wonder if the occasional potholes or bump will be handled much better at higher speeds.

I like to run a fat tire around 2.4” to make a smoother and more comfortable ride so this may cover some those needs.
My experience:
"...pretty smooth bitumen roads..." Rear suspension not beneficial. Extra weight, complexity, and lack of sturdy rear rack capability with no added benefit.

"...occasional potholes or bump..." Depends obstacle size/sharpness/frequency but yes, rear suspension can help, especially at higher speeds.

Back