DIY graphene high capacity supercapacitors -use a DVD writer

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=37822

CalBattery’s current plans are to scale up the process equipment for commercial production and then to offer this GEN3 battery anode material in commercial production in the US by 2014.
after end of days 21.12.2012 :(

It's been a while since we got news about the "best thing since sliced bread" in batteries is only 2-3 years from commercial production. There was plenty of 10X energy density news 3-4 years ago, but where is it?

Once I start seeing some 5 or 6V nominal cells, then I'll believe. I'll contain my excitement until then. 8)

When a 5Kw 100V Nuclear battery in a 160x160x250mm H form factor with 6 mm bullet connectors comes on the market for $350 USD. I'll become a believer again.

John in CR said:
It's been a while since we got news about the "best thing since sliced bread" in batteries is only 2-3 years from commercial production. There was plenty of 10X energy density news 3-4 years ago, but where is it?

Once I start seeing some 5 or 6V nominal cells, then I'll believe. I'll contain my excitement until then. 8)
At the end of the day John I think most of who announces an awesome battery before they are selling or ready to sell it are just fishing for free money from suckers!

How about this.

Lithium-ion battery research company, CalBattery, has announced a huge breakthrough in energy density that could in a few years give a 300% jump in battery energy density, that could triple electric car driving range.

http://www.torquenews.com/1075/electric-car-range-could-triple-silicon-graphene-breakthrough-lithium-batteries

Hi there...

Just an empty vessel here, gathering moss...

Can I ask a question? How often does someone like UCLA come out and make a spurious claim?

It's an honest question... I am from down under, and I just don't know if US Universities go around doing that sort of thing or not.

I would have thought that when you are an educational institution, credibility would be important in the market place?

ev

capacitors now are makeable with an energy density equivalent to lead acid batteries at 30 watt hours per kilo (depending where you read). Lipo are 200 watt hour to kilo.
Theyre all over YouTube and look super easy to make, although maybe not quite up to the 30watt hour to kilo ability though. People are making what seems to be graphene easily
Compared to an electrochemical cell capacitors seem to practically last forever. The discharge is a voltage plummet right away from 100s of thousands straight down in moments though

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GVPNStNo4IY

Was thinking it could make a great skateboard deck with a short range but quickly rechargeable. Not going to try because it sounds extremely deadly but the potential to make something very capable seems there

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capa_vehicle
There's the Capa bus since 2010 in China.

but how would you charge and discharge. Transformers for both? What else would you need?
How long could an electrostatic charge hold?

Capacitors have some interesting characteristics and have long been used in energy dampening situations, as with automotive acoustic to even out the energy spikes. They are usable only with an energy source like a battery. While it has been sometimes suggested that the reverse flow, using capacitors to quick-charge batteries, for instance, is not in the physics of the things. But I remain curious in the ever widening research into graphene, especially in battery construction.

Hummina Shadeeba said:
capacitors now are makeable with an energy density equivalent to lead acid batteries at 30 watt hours per kilo (depending where you read). Lipo are 200 watt hour to kilo.
Theyre all over YouTube and look super easy to make, although maybe not quite up to the 30watt hour to kilo ability though. People are making what seems to be graphene easily
Compared to an electrochemical cell capacitors seem to practically last forever. The discharge is a voltage plummet right away from 100s of thousands straight down in moments though

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GVPNStNo4IY

Was thinking it could make a great skateboard deck with a short range but quickly rechargeable. Not going to try because it sounds extremely deadly but the potential to make something very capable seems there

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capa_vehicle
There's the Capa bus since 2010 in China.

but how would you charge and discharge. Transformers for both? What else would you need?
How long could an electrostatic charge hold?

Caps with energy capacity equivalent to SLA, if true, is impressive. Two points though:
1) Batteries tend to have all their rated energy capacity in the top 30% of voltage drop. Capacitors are energy rated all the way down to zero volts, and have only given half their energy by the time they drop 30% in voltage. I'm not sure how efficiently controllers would make use of the lower voltages capacitors give out, but certainly the power available from the motor would drop significantly. It could be that controllers that use this tech would need built-in DC-DC step-up features.
2) Other parameters that are important are the energy density (KW-hrs per liter) and price (KW-hrs per dollar). If you can't fit the batteries in your vehicle (the example you give is a bus, which isn't very space sensitive) or can't afford it (again, beware of prototypes, as the factories usually specify unrealistic numbers based on ridiculous projections of sales and other rosey assumptions).

Anyway, don't want to be a downer. I think ultracaps are the future, at least for buffering power and such. Thanks for the info. Very interesting.

I rarely see these ultracapacitors written of as up to 30wh per kilo but it is written but possibly hype.
the cost to make a capacitor issmall compared to an electrochemical cell in a way...the cost to produce the capa bus is quoted as a fraction of the cost it would be to run it on liion batteries or something. It's a differnt paradigm with quick charging at short intervals as apposed to the classic long distance battery range. It does require an infustructure though or applicable for a short range vehicle.
If you know how this goes please tell me....it seems the ultra capacitors have a voltage that's suprisingly low at like 4 volts?! I understood caps to store static energy and it was contained at huge voltage. I looked a bit and thats what I saw. If i'm wrong or you know how this works please tell.

thanks. i searched for capacitors. the ultra caps are a different story. the search function can be an obstacle for those not in the know.

Back