DIY graphene high capacity supercapacitors -use a DVD writer

melodious said:
I hope this technology becomes usable in the next few years. What I've read about graphene is that it has uncontrolled current. The problem isn't turning it "on", rather, making it turn "off".
Inductance controls how fast current rises. SO as long as you have something turning off before current rises to high and or you have the proper amount of inductance you should be able to control it.

Capacitors are so worthless for energy storage. Even if you made them have 10x energy density of the best existing supercaps, it's still worthless for energy storage.

The resistance is crap too. You can get more power from a given volume or mass of nano-tech's vs the best supercaps.

In practice, charge rates are all ready only limited by chargers, having a battery that could charge in a nano-second vs one capable of charging in 5minutes doesn't make any difference in the charge rate you're going to see in real life. I have 20,000w charge systems that run on 440v 3p power, and still the charger is the slower than the batteries ability to take charge.

Most ultra caps also do a bunch of dumb things like bleed empty over the course of a week just sitting, require balancing systems like batteries, and storing the lower portion of the energy they carry at a voltage that makes it largely useless to access for transportation applications.

liveforphysics said:
Capacitors are so worthless for energy storage. Even if you made them have 10x energy density of the best existing supercaps, it's still worthless for energy storage.

The resistance is crap too. You can get more power from a given volume or mass of nano-tech's vs the best supercaps.

The video says they have the same energy density as current battery tech (not sure which battery tech). And aparently graphine is the best conductor in the world. But the way its mesured might be a part of how its rated. Just because it has x resistance per mass doesnt mean it will be better then copper.

Arlo1 said:
The video says they have the same energy density as current battery tech (not sure which battery tech).

I hate to be skeptical, but I've seen this sort of talk for the last 10 years now, how ultra-caps are going to gain a useful amount of energy density through various means, and still we have capacitors that just remain about 100x off of where they need to go to be useful for vehicle energy storage.

I would love to see it come true, and love to see batteries replaced by caps that can store and retain a meaningful amount of energy, but I'm not holding my breath at this point.

Ultracapacitors would not be the only thing graphene would be handy for. According to some research,
"In widths as narrow as 16 nanometers, graphene has a current carrying capacity approximately a thousand times greater than copper – while providing improved thermal conductivity."

So let's make motor windings out of the stuff. It's dang near superconducting.

If a motor is powered by an ultracapacitor, I think the tires are going to become the weak link.

But WAIT, graphene is super strong and flexible, so we can make tires out of it too.

I'm gonna get me a big can of beans...

liveforphysics said:
Arlo1 said:
The video says they have the same energy density as current battery tech (not sure which battery tech).

I hate to be skeptical, but I've seen this sort of talk for the last 10 years now, how ultra-caps are going to gain a useful amount of energy density through various means, and still we have capacitors that just remain about 100x off of where they need to go to be useful for vehicle energy storage.

I would love to see it come true, and love to see batteries replaced by caps that can store and retain a meaningful amount of energy, but I'm not holding my breath at this point.
Yup I here ya bro so how long till you are making some of these and running tests. We trust numbers you give us! Pluss I like to see videos with fire and destruction.

Maybe we can call these batteries? How do we define a battery VS a cap?

The voltage on a battery stays nearly constant during discharge. The voltage on a capacitor drops steadily as it discharges.

Arlo1 said:
Maybe we can call these batteries? How do we define a battery VS a cap?

Caps store an imbalance of electrons from charge plate to charge plate. Ultra-caps (which are greatly different than standard caps) work almost exactly like a lithium ion battery, only with electrons rather than lithium ions.

You can actually make your own ultra-cap by just taking the anodes (the copper foil layers) from lithium batteries apart and stacking them on each other with the seperator from a capacitor and the solvent from the cell you opened. It's a super crummy cap with bad energy density, and if you charge past about 3v it can just arc and blow up, but it can store charge like an ultra-cap. It will have about 1/100th of the energy storage those layers had when paired with an appropriate cathode material, a lithium ion permeable seperator, and some lithium salts added for an ion source to shove ions to intercalate in the cathode rather than just trying to get electrons to stay in the surface carbon anode.

Reality is full of potential

The astonishing claim that graphene can draw on ambient thermal energy to generate electrical current has been attracting scepticism from some materials scientists

http://arxiv.org/abs/1203.0161

Thermoelectrically Pumped Light-Emitting Diodes Operating above Unity Efficiency

http://prl.aps.org/abstract/PRL/v108/i9/e097403

It is actually all related to sound and ultrafluid

Phosphoric acid is cheap and easy to get, its what rust converter is made of.
One problem solved.......many to go.
Will need some membrane between the graphene also. Possibly the container of the supercap may need to not react with phosphoric acid.

I would think the price of supercaps should plummet if this process eliminates some cost of production. The chinese will be onto it in very short time,
maybe not worth all the headaches of trying to figure out how to make the caps. I suspect there will be numerous technical problems to overcome.
All the time and energy spent trying to make them when possibly in a year or two they will become cheap

I thought the internal resistance of batteries is the limiting factor in charging them, you might be able to store alot of the regen till the supercap is full,but will still take time to deliver it to the battery bank.

Carbon fibre tow is cheap, I'm not sure of its electrical properties ( maybe similar to graphene), there are papers on the net about it, but i've never read them.

flathill said:
Reality is full of potential

The astonishing claim that graphene can draw on ambient thermal energy to generate electrical current has been attracting scepticism from some materials scientists

http://arxiv.org/abs/1203.0161

Hmm... seems to violate thermodynamic laws. But consider the theoretical case of a tiny one-way valve that allows gas molecules to pass in only one direction. A bunch of these in parallel would create a pressure on the downstream side and would be powered by the kinetic energy of the molecules. It could be possible.

There is so much that we don't know about physics....

Here is another company claiming a new better battery with a "silicon-graphene battery anode " 70% reduction in price and longer cycle life and more energy density! http://www.evwind.es/noticias.php?id_not=17230

Hi Arlo,

Arlo1 said:
Here is another company claiming a new better battery with a "silicon-graphene battery anode " 70% of the current price and longer cycle life and more energy density!
http://www.evwind.es/noticias.php?id_not=17230

Interesting, thanks for the post. Its not "70% of the current price", its up to a 70% reduction in price (30% of the current price :D ), made in the U.S. :shock:
evwind said:
California Lithium Battery Inc. (CalBattery) announced at last week’s Department of Energy’s ARPA-e Energy Innovation Summit in Washington, D.C. that they have entered into a Work for Others (WFO) agreement with Argonne National Laboratory (ANL) to commercialize a breakthrough low cost “GEN3” lithium battery. This new transformational battery will offer the highest energy density and longest cycle life of any lithium battery made today. CalBattery believes that it will be able manufacture this GEN3 lithium-ion battery in the US at a comparable cost reduction up to 70%.

...“Incredibly, some energy storage systems providers and independent power producers today are using hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of small cylindrical cell batteries in massive utility-scale storage systems. This approach is simply too costly and not viable. Large storage must be built from large batteries, not small batteries originally designed for powered hand tools. Our VLF battery has a clear performance and cost advantage in providing the massive currents needed with the minimum materials and battery management components, resulting in a more affordable lithium-ion battery for wide-scale use.”...

...This novel “GEN3” lithium-ion battery will combine Argonne’s silicon-graphene battery anode process with other advanced battery materials into the lowest lifecycle cost per watt lithium-ion battery ideally suited for energy storage and EV applications. The key technology advancement is CalBattery will become the first US battery manufacturer to be able to successfully use silicon in its battery anode. Silicon which has the ability to absorb lithium by a factor of 10X has until now not yet proven to be stable enough for battery anode use. While much research today is focused on ways to improve silicon stability, ANL tests indicate this newly patented process that embeds nano-silicon into graphene through a novel chemical vapor deposition (CVD) process will dramatically improve silicon stability by protecting the silicon material as it charges and discharges, extending battery cycle life by 3X....

http://www.clbattery.com/
clbattery.com said:
California Lithium Battery (“CalBattery”) Inc. has teamed up with Argonne National Laboratory to rapidly commercialize and produce in the US a breakthrough low cost graphene large format prismatic battery for grid energy storage and EVs.

The Company is a joint venture between California based CALiB Power and Ionex Energy Storage Systems. The JV owns exclusive and non-exclusive rights from Argonne National Laboratory for all applications to a newly patented “Game Changing” silicon embedded in graphene vapor deposition process. Preliminary tests indicate that this new material will substantially improve the performance of lithium battery anodes by a factor of 3X.

This new “GEN3” composite battery technology could become a disruptive technology by effectively lowering Li-ion battery life cycle cost up to 70%. 

Current plans are to have this GEN3 battery in limited production in the US in 2014.
What?! 3x the cycles at as little as 30% of the cost sounds like the same price to me (3 x 30 = 90%). In 2014, sounds familiar.

MitchJi said:
Hi Arlo,

Arlo1 said:
Here is another company claiming a new better battery with a "silicon-graphene battery anode " 70% of the current price and longer cycle life and more energy density!
http://www.evwind.es/noticias.php?id_not=17230

What?! 3x the cycles at as little as 30% of the cost sounds like the same price to me (3 x 30 = 90%). In 2014, sounds familiar.
I edited my post I realy need to learn to shut the laptop when im so tired. :roll: But 70% reduction and 3 times the cycles, means I will save you 93.3% in the long run. So what do you mean it sounds familiar?

If you believe their claims and assume the calender-life is unaffected (or extended) then a battery that costs $200 today, will cost [/will be worth] about $46 when they start shipping*...

$200 * .7 = $140 / 3 = $46

* assuming they pass all the savings on to the consumer...haha..good luck. :wink:

Anode is the cheapest part of a lithium cell.

Even if anodes became totally free, it would only drop cost by 10-15%.

you can read that "Promo speak" any way you want !
....effectively lowering Li-ion battery life cycle cost up to 70%. 

..notice its "life cycle cost" .. so all they are saying is it will cost 70% less than an equivalent cell over its life cycle.
If that life cycle is 4 times longer than the competitor,..it suggests this new cell costs you 70% less than 4 other cells !! ..
... and its cost is actually more than a similar cell ! :wink:

Hi Arlo,

MitchJi said:
In 2014, sounds familiar.

Arlo1 said:
But 70% reduction and 3 times the cycles, means I will save you 93.3% in the long run. So what do you mean it sounds familiar?
I'd rather pay 30% of current prices for ~1,000 cycles rather than pay current prices for 3x the cycle life.

Waiting two years for a major breakthrough sounds familiar. Even though someday it will be true after hearing that familiar claim so many times its a little hard to get too excited about it.

MitchJi said:
Waiting two years for a major breakthrough sounds familiar. Even though someday it will be true after hearing that familiar claim so many times its a little hard to get too excited about it.
Yeh I know.... Same reason I started building my own BLDC motor controller! Tired of waiting for some one to make a good one with in a reasonable price!
So.... Once motor control is mastered then I guess I will have to learn how to DIY batteries! :mrgreen:

Hey everyone, I've been lurking on this site for a long time, just taking in all the info that you guys have here. I saw this video and I immediately went to find the paper (i'll link if its not against the rules), With the addition of ionic liquids as an electrolyte these devices really appear to be competitive with conventional batteries as far as energy density and power density...anyway I thought about this place, I figured I'd probably find someone who was ambitious enough to build one of these and test them. Is anyone doing this here? I'm really giving it some consideration myself. So, is anyone doing this??

Well, I got myself some GO and was able to replicate the graphene printing with a lightscribe drive. Its somewhat sensitive to the thickness of the GO film, but it does work. I was able to talk to one of the authors of the paper and she gave me some tips, also the supplemental notes and whatnot on the experiment here http://www.sciencemag.org/content/suppl/2012/03/14/335.6074.1326.DC1/El-Kady-SOM.pdf. Also I have some GO on sale in 50ml quantities if anyone else wants to try it out.

Back