Do bicycles have targets painted on them or are we invisible

REMEMBER TO PUT SOME STROBE LIGHTS ON YOUR JACKETS BACK. I SUGGEST A PATTERN OF SHRINKING CONCENTRIC CIRCLES.
led-turn-signal-jacket.jpg

http://www.besportier.com/archives/led-turnsignal-jacket.html

I'm going to check my local lycra bike shop and see if they have any strobes. I see the occasional rider around here with strobes. I can always stop them and ask where they got theirs. Of course, online shopping is easiest.

FA

Today, I bought a helmet! I initially resisted doing purchasing one because in all my almost 50 years of riding, I never used one, until I needed one 8 days ago. I spent a little over $200 on a good one that almost always got 5 out of 5 stars in the over 100 reviews I have read on many different websites. The helmet has an integral chin guard and is intended for MTB riders to keep branches, trees, and rocks from damaging your face.

It'll take some getting used to, but I am tired of having a bloody face and I don't know when these 16 stitches are going to dissolve from inside my upper lip. :roll:

FA

I bought a cheap combo kit for like 50 bucks... Full Face Helmet Gloves and Goggles. I feel pretty safe. DOT approved. Its comfy and solid. I would buy again. But 200 for a helmet good god!.

Attachments

• PIC_0124%20%28Medium%29.jpg
    PIC_0124%20%28Medium%29.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 1,044
  • PIC_0127%20%28Medium%29.jpg
    PIC_0127%20%28Medium%29.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 1,044
icecube57 said:
...But 200 for a helmet good god!.
I admit I may have gone overboard in buying the best I could find, but why skimp on my skull? I only have the one.

FA

amberwolf said:
True. I have yet to see Zaphod out riding a bike. :)
If Mr. Beeblebrox did ride a bike, no doubt he'd have the coolest helmet available in the galaxy.

I wonder what he would use his third arm for on the bike...

FA

yopappamon said:
I bought one the other day too. I always wore a regular bike helmet, but bought a full face...
Sweet!

How much did that set you back. may I ask?

Floont said:
amberwolf said:
True. I have yet to see Zaphod out riding a bike. :)
If Mr. Beeblebrox did ride a bike, no doubt he'd have the coolest helmet available in the galaxy.

I wonder what he would use his third arm for on the bike...

FA

I bet at least ONE of the helmets would be a higher-tech form of one of these:

Clipboard0133.jpg

LI-ghtcycle said:
I bet at least ONE of the helmets would be a higher-tech form of one of these:

Clipboard0133.jpg

But instead of Budweisers, they'd be Pan-Galactic Gargle Blasters.

Conclusion: We are invisible to the majority of motorists. Most motorists do not consider us targets.

Remedies: Helmet, Boots, Gloves, Reflective Vest, Strobe Lights (front and back), Always plan an escape route by assuming that you will not be noticed.

FA

Floont said:
Conclusion: We are invisible to the majority of motorists. Most motorists do not consider us targets.

Remedies: Helmet, Gloves, Boots, Reflective vest, Strobe lights (front and back), Always plan an escape route by assuming that you will not be noticed.

FA
Shall we attempt to put these things in order of importance?

Heres my opinion. Assuming we have a legal, stock ebike in good condition.
Starting with most important first:

Rider Cautiousness, Rider Training/Experience, Front Strobe light, Motorcycle Helmet, Reflective vest, Rear Strobe light, Bicycle Helmet, Gloves, Boots...

Here is my new flashing light setup. I'm getting head turns from across 6 lanes of traffic now. It seems like more people stayed in the lane next to me than normal. I hope that isn't an unintended consequence of the new lights.

[youtube]jpdDTfgBqqQ[/youtube]

those lights are very impressive,i would pull over if you were to overtake me :shock: .

the most important thing to practice is EMERGENCY STOPPING.it gets you ready for just about anything.everyone wants to go but no one wants to stop.

Floont said:

Remedies: Helmet, Gloves, Boots, Reflective vest, Strobe lights (front and back), Always plan an escape route by assuming that you will not be noticed.

FA

I witness you guys going down this road and I gotta say something... Most motorists do not consider us targets but most motorists never heard of target/object fixation either. Target and/or object fixation is a two-way street. We (the riders of small, easy squashed shit) can suffer from it's influence but so can OTHER MOTORISTS. And they won't even know they're doing it.

Bikes/bicycles are different, weird and small while motorists are relatively safe inside but distracted, talking/texting on phones, OMG - they can target you and not even realize they're doing it!!! Human nature in practice my friends.

I've trained to use visibility and LOUD SOUND when it suits me and doesn't create a homing signal to other motorists. Otherwise, I'm invisible and I NEVER do ANYTHING that would require me to be visible. Defensive driving - get to those MSF courses, it's the best thing you can ever do as a rider and even as automobile driver. I practice the same shit driving my car/truck - once you know how to control your machine it's majority mental game to survive traffic...

I vote invisible, case in point my wife has a friend that was hit yesterday. A truck with really big mirrors and the driver never saw him until after the mirror broke his skull. About half of his scull is now in his abdomen waiting for his brain to return to normal size and a determination as to whether he has any brain function left. The driver of the truck it is said was an older man 50's and totally distraught. Won't keep him from vehicular homicide charges if things go bad. :( . I think defensive driving of any vehicle, especially one where you will lose in an accident, is paramount.

The Stig said:
...Starting with most important first:
Rider Cautiousness, Rider Training/Experience, Front Strobe light, Motorcycle Helmet, Reflective vest, Rear Strobe light, Bicycle Helmet, Gloves, Boots...
You have helmets on there twice. Why?

Also, I would put boots ahead of gloves. Boots not only protect the skin, but also greatly protect the ankle from being broken or sprained. Gloves do not protect the wrist, only the skin.

FA

Ykick said:
I witness you guys going down this road and I gotta say something... Most motorists do not consider us targets but most motorists never heard of target/object fixation either. Target and/or object fixation is a two-way street. We (the riders of small, easy squashed shit) can suffer from it's influence but so can OTHER MOTORISTS. And they won't even know they're doing it.

Bikes/bicycles are different, weird and small while motorists are relatively safe inside but distracted, talking/texting on phones, OMG - they can target you and not even realize they're doing it!!! Human nature in practice my friends.

I've trained to use visibility and LOUD SOUND when it suits me and doesn't create a homing signal to other motorists. Otherwise, I'm invisible and I NEVER do ANYTHING that would require me to be visible. Defensive driving - get to those MSF courses, it's the best thing you can ever do as a rider and even as automobile driver. I practice the same shit driving my car/truck - once you know how to control your machine it's majority mental game to survive traffic...
I guess I need to go to an MSF course because I really don't know what you're talking about.

And what do you mean "you guys"? I thought you were a rider like us?

I'm confused.

FA

Target Fixation is where someone unconsciously begins to move toward the thing that catches their attention, i.e. a bright strobeing light. :shock: :oops: :!:

It is especially important to be aware of this when riding a motorcycle at high speed since if your fixated on some object other than the road, you will unconsciously start heading towards it, a common instance of this is when motorcycles are racing, and one guy goes off the track, others follow him because the shock of seeing him leave the track is just enough to catch the attention of the other riders long enough than they loose their focus on the track, and start heading towards the rider who just crashed.

I am aware of this phenomenon, however, I believe the conditioning of drivers with flashing lights to indicate emergency vehicles and or construction zones is enough to counter this especially at normal street speeds, highways might be a balancing act IMO, as it is correct that getting eyes on you can also get them targeting you.

We are already "invisible" to those who are distracted or so used to their routine that they simply do not see us. Don't assume that eye contact means anything either, there have been plenty of times when I make that kind of contact and STILL they pull out since it takes longer for things to register in the conscious mind than the subconscious that simply causes the eyes to move to you when their eyes are momentarily drawn to you.

Back