Does my avatar picture offend anyone?

Floont

1 kW
:?: Does my avatar picture offend anyone? :?:

The reason I ask is that Photobucket.com removed my photo saying it violated their "terms of use" and was deemed inappropriate, so I guess someone must have complained. I read their "Terms of Use" and the photo does not violate anything specifically stated therein. I'm pissed off at them for removing it and not sending me any email notification or justification for their action. :x

The purpose of having this avatar and picture is to show people that do not where helmets what can happen when you don't. I did not believe in wearing a helmet before the September 3 wreck. I have changed my mind since September 3. I took this picture of myself prior to passing out before the ambulance arrived. I have a concussion, a lot of road rash, and it took 16 stitches to sew my upper lip back on. I have another 4 weeks of recovery to go through.

This is what comes up now when I link to the Photobucket image:
2010-09-03Bicycleaccidentwithdirtywhitepickuptruck-beforetheambulancegotthere.jpg

It used to be this:

FA

I think posting the pic on your original posting of what happened to you was totally understandable and acheaved it's intention. But personally I would prefer not to see it everytime I read one of your postings. Yes I know...then don't read your postings. But I may find interest in many of the things you have to offer and tmight miss out on something of value to me. But that's just my opinion and certainly I would not be so bold as to ask you to remove it or to bitch about it.

Bob

Yes, Bob, I can understand that. I'll change my avatar back to something else once I'm fully healed (another 4 weeks or so).

Perhaps I should have asked the question differently:

Is anyone offended by the picture itself, enough for Photobucket to censor it?

Dunno how anyone that's seen an action movie on TV or at the movies, internet etc.. in the last 30 years could find that avatar offensive, personally.
The first rocky movie for example...

Nice one with the helmet promotion.

Matt

yopappamon said:
Do you think someone reported it, or do they just monitor all the pictures?
I can't imagine that they look at every picture posted there. What a horrible job that would be! I would guess that they rely on people reporting "abuse", then they would check it to see if it violated their terms of use. Or maybe, since most companies are stretched do thin, they just ban anything reported as abuse. I suspect the latter theory.

FA

Lessss said:
They probably thought it was a pic of a corpse.
That thought crossed my mind, too. But the photo description on Photobucket explicitly says what the picture is; that it is me after an accident. One would assume that they are smart enough to know I would have a tough time posting after I died. :roll:

I do not find your avatar offensive because I know the context and agree it is a good show of what happens when you do not use your head or wear a Helmet. But someone who doesn't know the context 'may' find it a bit off putting. Perhaps you should change your avatar to a pic of your new Helmet 8)

And wise decision of getting and wearing a new full face Helmet :D

how is that offensive? I like it 8) shows it aint all roses and sunshine and helps folks remember that the faster you go the worse your going to look if you fall off, i always wear a helmet and if I go above 25 its always full face.

Knoxie

Hmmm.... I can't say that it much matters to me except that I liked your 3 stooges avatar. And if I knew how to put up an avatar I would put one up of myself when I made a crash dummy outfit for halloween.

Hey it does get peoples attention. I actually showed it to my wife yesterday. Love that eewww reaction :twisted: I had no idea why you used it but it makes perfect sense now. I also like some of the animated ones like the stick man that pours gas on himself then lights up and burns to a crisp. Dark and morbid maybe but funny too. Which brings me to another issue. Biggest damn problem is people taking crap too seriously, getting offended over stupid $hit..

it doesnt bother me at all. an avatar should reflect who you are. if people cant respect that, i dont know what to say. as long as its not really explicit content. ive seen worse than that though, like the wound from after my appendectomy. i guess thats why it doesnt bother me much... :lol:

i guess photobucket are a bunch of pansies when it comes to that kind of stuff. the FCC must really be doing their job with the censorship...lol

yopappamon said:
torker said:
I also like some of the animated ones like the stick man that pours gas on himself then lights up and burns to a crisp.

You like my little pyro? Lol

i think i might have issues. i chuckled a bit when i saw your avatar... :lol:

Perhaps add some text to the picture that says "wear a helmet" or something, and then even the most dense folks could understand the picture and the message behind it.

As far as bleeding goes, I like the type caused by blunt things more than shallow abrasions. Like some of these boxing and mma cuts. Most of which did not cause the doctor to stop the fight (but a few sadly did).

These should be certian to offend. ;) If you don't like watching combat sports, don't look at the pictures.

images

images

images

images

UFC-107-Diego-Sanchez-cut.jpg

72632473.jpg

Miguel Torres loosing blood at a pretty good rate for a guy that fights 130lbs class. lol
ept_sports_mma_experts-537400283-1268056645.jpg

And of course Nick Diaz, who doesn't even get interested in the fight until he's dropped a few cups of his blood on the mat. :)
6458-08GomiDiazDSC_9999_0011.jpg

It doesn't bother me Floont. As bad as your wreck was, it could have been worse. That's my biggest fear when riding - someone pulling out in front of me. Get well soon and get back on your horse...

Just read about one last night. Gal in NY was dumped under a bus, when some woman opened her door into the path of the Biker.

Head was run over ?? :roll: :roll:

I like the idea of placing a caption under my picture that says "Wear a Helmet!" It really gets the point across to casual observers.

Thanks, liveforphysics! :D

FA

Free Speech Hatin' Commie Bastards!!! Not at all, its your choice to post a TRUE representation of yourself. Its my choice not to look if it bothers me.

Floont said:
I like the idea of placing a caption under my picture that says "Wear a Helmet!" It really gets the point across to casual observers.

Thanks, liveforphysics! :D

FA
Maybe it should say, "wear a full-face helmet," as your head looks pretty good. Your face took most of the damage. I wear a skate helmet, I'm re-considering that decision at the moment, so you are doing a good job...

yopappamon said:
torker said:
I also like some of the animated ones like the stick man that pours gas on himself then lights up and burns to a crisp.

You like my little pyro? Lol

Classic!

put a caption inder the picture..."always wear a helmet" <> i didnt wear a hemet <> this is me- no hemet, or something similar and leave it, its graphic....there are people who dont believe accidents actualy happen

Photobucket.com finally sent me an email stating they will review the picture to determine if it was removed in error. They will then contact me with their decision (no time frame was given).

I particularly like their complete control over all picture content with this statement:

"Photobucket reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to reject, refuse to post or remove any posting (including, without limitation, descriptions, comments, images or videos) by you, or to deny, restrict, suspend, or terminate your access to all or any part of the Photobucket Services at any time, for any or no reason, with or without prior notice or explanation, and without liability. Photobucket expressly reserves the right to remove any or all of your images, videos, account and profile and/or to deny, restrict, suspend, or terminate your access to all or any part of the Photobucket Services if Photobucket determines, in its sole discretion, that you have violated this Agreement or pose a threat to Photobucket and/or its Users."

In short, they can do anything they want with pictures you post "for any or no reason". A$$holes.

FA

Back