Does my avatar picture offend anyone?

Baa! This is why I have my own website. Be gone Content Nazis :evil:
BTW - The Curly avatar was priceless. But the bloodied one does not offend.

Once, several years ago I rode my bike to the pub. It was a Friday evening at the start of the Memorial weekend. I ended up staying longer than anticipated so I was a bit too polluted for my own good. On the ride home I crossed a Ped bridge and had to cork-screw down and under it (beneath the road) to catch the adjoining trail. Well, my balance was off as I headed downhill; I cut it too sharp and wound up in the gravel, hit the brake too hard and over the top I went face first. I was wearing a helmet.

Stunned, I checked my teeth and they were all there. That episode didn’t feel too good, but whatever, I dusted myself, got back on the bike and rode home. Flipped the TV on, and as soon as I hit the couch I was out; slept over 12 hours. When I woke up I couldn’t open my right eye. Went to the mirror and I was blood all over me; looked like I was beat with an ugly stick. The eye was swollen shut, I had gravel in my face on the right side, and my glasses had torn a chunk of flesh off the size of a quarter next to my eye. It was a pretty good mess all around, and sporting quite a shiner. No infection had yet set in; everything was sealed by matted blood.

I am no stranger to bloody lacerations: I began with soap & water, hydrogen peroxide, tweezers, and an X-acto knife. It took a couple of days but I got all the rock and sand out. I never let the wound scab; kept it moist with Vitamin-E during the day, and from weeping with Aloe at night, with sessions in-between trimming off dead tissue. Wash, rinse, repeat several times a day, and never covered it, leaving it exposed to air.

The eye glasses were toast and had to order a new frame. The helmet had gravel embedded in it – but being an artistic individual I approved of the new composition; it had that unique statement with bits of gravel sticking out, like a cool war wound.

On Tuesday morning the black eye was nearly gone as was the swelling and the redness was outright ½ of what it was. I was still a sight to be reckoned with however and looked like hell. Whatever; on to work. Eyes averted me; no one asked a single question about it. Mine you I left the wound uncovered to promote rapid healing, and I never let it scab, washing it several times and re-applying Vitamin-E in the Men’s bathroom.

Day-2 at work I’m fetching coffee in the local kitchen when one of the guys – a Tester – says to me “So, what happened to…” and I launch into it with gusto “OH MAN! Last Friday there was this guy at the bar, total prick; he got one punch off – and man - you should see HIS face!” :twisted:
It takes about ½ second for my pal to figure it out and we busted up laughing! I had so much fun with that wound.

By Week-2, it was completely closed over with new skin though still bright pink. By Week-3 the pinkness had mostly faded. Two months later you couldn’t tell I had ever been hurt – I was lucky and have no scar tissue.

Floot, I suggest applying Vitamin-E to your stitches, and especially after they’re removed even after the pinkness is gone. If you have raised scars from it, take an emery board and sand them down one layer at a time little by little over days and weeks, re-applying Vitamin-E in-between. :)

Best of luck, KF
PS - LFP easily has me beat on injuries, though I bet mine make better Darwin Tales :wink:

Kingfish said:
Baa! This is why I have my own website. Be gone Content Nazis :evil:
BTW - The Curly avatar was priceless. But the bloodied one does not offend...
Don't tell anyone, but Curly's comin' back!

And thanks for sharing your story. :) I always like to keep in mind that no matter what bad thing happens to a person, it usually will make a great story you can use for years to come.

Kingfish said:
Floont, I suggest applying Vitamin-E to your stitches, and especially after they’re removed even after the pinkness is gone. If you have raised scars from it, take an emery board and sand them down one layer at a time little by little over days and weeks, re-applying Vitamin-E in-between. :)...
I appreciation the advise regarding the stitches, but my 16 stitches are on the inside of my upper lip to repair the uvular ridge (I think I got that term right) that was pulled loose. So, it's moist all the time and best of all it doesn't hurt much. I am waiting for the stitches to dissolve. My doctor told me that the inside of the mouth heals at an accelerated rate compared to the rest of the body. So I'm gonna leave well enough alone.

Thanks again for your story and suggestions!

FA

...uvular ridge...

Nope: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palatine_uvula

You mean Frenulum :)

I had a Frenectomy when they rebuilt my teeth later in life. Short story: I was a very tiny boy growing up. When I was in the 6th Grade two younger boys much bigger than me ran me down and beat me to a pulp for fun. As an after-thought the big one stuff his knee into my mouth and busted up my smile. It also ripped a hole in my lower lip nearly clean through. That hole healed in about a week! In your body, Mouth and Eyes heal the fastest. Speeding forward to when I'm 23 years old, and I end up working for a company with awesome dental. I had those busted teeth fixed up with veneers. But before that I had to get a Frenectomy first which was a good idea because my was rather long.

BTW - Did you know that in the old Superman comics world, the reason Superman was sent to Earth was that it was the only humanoid planet other than Krypton where people had a Frenulum, and because they had a Frenulum - they could smile :D

I'm glad your Frenulum is on the mend :D

May you have Miles of Smiles, KF

You are right KF. I stand corrected. I learned something, again. Specifically, it is called the "Frenulum labial superioris".

I cannot find any reference regarding Superman and the Frenulum. Do you have a reference?

FA

Superman:
It was in a comic paperback; a condensed storyline from DC comics that I bought on a trip in a bookstore. I remember reading and re-reading it as a young man in the Navy. Now that I think about it - I bought it after I saw Superman the Movie in Berzerkely, CA, that would have been 1978. I have a lot of books in boxes – it’s possible that I still have it being that I was so influenced by it, maybe. It just struck me as odd about the Frenum-Frenulum connection with smiling and I just had to go look it up. For weeks afterwards I remember studying people’s frenums and how they smiled. John Major, former PM has a whopping frenum; big smile that lad. :)

I guess I’d search the Superman wiki for answers. Wikipedia suggests that there have been several re-writes of canon; I read the story in the 70’s so it was before the multiverse revisions that followed later.

Break out those comics. Jor-El had a reason for sending him to Earth. What other reason could it have possibly been? :D
Clark-Kent.png

~KF

This is my take on it. It does look like it could be a dead body laying out in some field. From what I saw, you stated it was a bicycle accident. I didn't see where you said it was your accident. But I think that if you really wanted to clear up confusion on that, you should actually state something to the effect that you did not die or that it is actually a picture of you, etc. I mean, you could have taken a picture of some dude that died in a bike accident.

But no, I'm not offended by it.

Jay64 said:
This is my take on it. It does look like it could be a dead body laying out in some field. From what I saw, you stated it was a bicycle accident. I didn't see where you said it was your accident. But I think that if you really wanted to clear up confusion on that, you should actually state something to the effect that you did not die or that it is actually a picture of you, etc. I mean, you could have taken a picture of some dude that died in a bike accident.

But no, I'm not offended by it.
I like the points you made. Especially the one where I should state that I "did not die" So to clear up any confusion that might be out there, I hereby officially and emphatically declare that "I am not dead". :wink:

In all seriousness, I am going to change that avatar anyway. It is 2 weeks old and it's lost the intended reason for its impact. Curly will return! :shock:

FA

When I first saw it on your other post I was for sure thought it was a joke that you got your camera and took a photo of you after the accident I had to do double checks to ensure you were true, but by no means does it offend I could think of something better though

Curly has returned as my avatar!

Thanks for all your comments.

End of thread. :|

FA

Back