DownTube Folders Mods, Pics, and Vids

Pics of front Disk Brake setup..... I don't know what to do with the that mounting bar that the original brakes went on. It sticks out like a sore thumb. Thinking of cutting them off or painting them yellow like forks.0703081354.jpg0703081356.jpg

joystix2 said:
I got them in late April. Before that they were all around $100+ each everywhere. And now everywhere I've looked they are $100+ each.

My Shimano Deore I installed is SWEEET. Kinda funny looking since the tires so small at 20". The disk housing looks huge. The stopping power is real nice though... :mrgreen:

Man, amazing what a coupla months can do to the price of a battery :shock:

Are the Deore's a 160mm disk or bigger? I'd contemplated going to a 180, but if you're pics show a 160 is more than adequate, then that's what I'll shoot for :wink:

They look damn good by the way!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I'd definitely cut the old mounts off, unless you can hook a lighting system up to them somehow, might be just the trick 8)

Yes the Deores are 160m and they stop me real smooth. I weigh 225lbs and I'm always going 30+mph.... I need to get my dremel and cut those mounting bars off.

Joystix,

I think when you are referring to the "bars that the old brakes were on", you are referring to the canti/ v brake posts that the brake arms slid onto? If this is correct, those canti studs should have each have at least two faced sides at the base, either 8 or 10mm. A box wrench in whatever size they are should slide right on, and you should be able to crank them right off, no cutting......

Take care,

Len

Len, Thanks for the info but I guess Downtube decided they didn't want anyone to remove them because I do see the faced sides on the back but they are welded in place

maybe for the older model. new model you can screw the stud off.i'm actually looking for bolt with the same thread pitch to fill the hole

Just noticed a nice price drop on Amazon..

The V28 went from $128 to $108 (with free ground shipping).. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
http://www.amazon.com

Just an FYI.

Hey thanks for the heads up but since I got my last ones at $80 with free shipping I am spoiled....I want $80 again...

joystix2 said:
I want $80 again...

Ditto... I'm thinking they saw a serious spike in sales and thought, "whoah... let's up the price", which, of course, slumped demand and now it's dropping back down... it may even be an automated web algorithm... wouldn't be surprised. Same thing happened to those torque arms from Texas. :wink:

In other words... don't nobody buy none of them Milwaukee packs for awhile more and we'll get back to $80! :mrgreen:

I'm also tempted to just call them and say, "hey... I'll buy them at $80 like I did before". They were super-duper nice on the phone when I talked to them like 3x because of paypal being stupid.

Darn :evil:

Guess I should've kept this on the downlow :shock:

1800vtx said:
Guess I should've kept this on the downlow :shock:

Heh, heh.. well.. I check toolup.com (and the rest of the internets) almost daily for battery deals for what it's worth... sure other's do as well... constantly looking for that amazing breakthrough price on a 10 pack of dc9360 for only $599 with free shipping today only!! :roll: :lol:

Dream on!
otherDoc

ngocthach1130 said:
This is what i got so far. I'm going to find a way to attach a Cyclone 650W kit on there. Already ordered it. Can't wait till it come.

Disk brake front. Yes it's all about the bling
Changed out rear caliper to get matching black. will change to disk rear if i'll need it
Changed twist shifter to 7 speed shimano Acera rapid fire shifter. Think i'm going to order another one with 8 speed. Live and learn i guess
Going to change the rear to 8 speed shimano cassette
Going to need to switch to a regular rack system system and not use seat post. Probably going to drill 2 holes near the drop out.
Took off all decal because i love straight black. Too bad they moved to aluminum stem, otherwise i'd have a matching black painted steel stem.

BTW. If you guys find the stem move slightly or wobble. You can contact Yan and have them send you 2 nylon washer which will take up the slack in the folding mechanism of the stem. Works great.

What kind of fenders are those? Esp. interested in the rear one. Model #?

Attachments

• Downtube%20Resize[2].JPG
    Downtube%20Resize[2].JPG
    93.1 KB · Views: 3,348
Bump :mrgreen:
Don't let this one die people!

Hey All.

Brand spanking new to Endless-Sphere.com and came across this posting about Downtubes Mods. I thought I'd share my DT mods I've done last year during a long winter of staring at it. I hope to learn a bit of everyone here so that I may move forward to converting my ride to electric too. Currently I am considering a Cyclone kit. So much to learn.

But first....MY DT...

I had to change up rims and hubs when I went with disk brakes. I hand built the wheel set on my own, figuring out spokes lengths and the learning the technique of lacing off Sheldon Browns site.
dsc03880tr1.jpg

The AVID Disk Brakes are AWESOME. Never had brakes that could lock up so easily with minimal fussing on setup.
dsc03888nh4.jpg

Next was the bullhorn bars and brakes and shifters. I personally do not favor grip shifters so went back to Shimano XTR thumbshifters.
dsc03887vp8.jpg

So far it seems to work ok with the stock JuJu M90 RD. The XTR Dual Shift/Brake combo is pretty trick.
dsc03886cp0.jpg

Decided to go with some BMX slicks to round of the project.
dsc03889jy9.jpg

So there you have it. My humble DT. With some luck I will have a E-DT next year???
dsc03892ux9.jpg

Cheers!

Norman

if i may suggest. Don't go with the cyclone kit. It is very hard to mount the motor to the bike. I've bought one to add to my DT and ended up selling it at a lower price a week after getting it. Now i have bafang ready and just waiting for new rim. I'm so jealous of you guys who have matching color quick release. I bought the 9FS and they now come unpainted . It is so ugly.

ngocthach1130 said:
if i may suggest. Don't go with the cyclone kit. It is very hard to mount the motor to the bike. I've bought one to add to my DT and ended up selling it at a lower price a week after getting it. Now i have bafang ready and just waiting for new rim. I'm so jealous of you guys who have matching color quick release. I bought the 9FS and they now come unpainted . It is so ugly.

Hi ngocthach1130 and thank you for the suggestion. I'm partial to a setup like cyclone as it will allow for the use of my hub gears. My research is still premature but I might change my mind or find something better.

If by chance you can describe more details of the challenges of the Cyclone setup I would greatly appreciate it.

Cheers,

Norman

well i wanted to mount the cyclone kit to that triangular bike stand thing under the chainring. Turned out there's not enough clearance there to do so. At the same time the huge swingarm for the rear tires makes it really difficult to mount the cyclone kit in front of the rear tire. all in all, it was labor intensive to make a mount for the cyclone to fit the DT. better off with hub motor with internal gear.

ngocthach1130 said:
well i wanted to mount the cyclone kit to that triangular bike stand thing under the chainring. Turned out there's not enough clearance there to do so. At the same time the huge swingarm for the rear tires makes it really difficult to mount the cyclone kit in front of the rear tire. all in all, it was labor intensive to make a mount for the cyclone to fit the DT. better off with hub motor with internal gear.

Hmmmm....it does sound challenging. Off to more research for me then. Thanks for the reply ngocthach1130! :)

archer-ca said:
Hey All.

Brand spanking new to Endless-Sphere.com and came across this posting about Downtubes Mods. I thought I'd share my DT mods I've done last year during a long winter of staring at it. I hope to learn a bit of everyone here so that I may move forward to converting my ride to electric too. Currently I am considering a Cyclone kit. So much to learn.

But first....MY DT...

I had to change up rims and hubs when I went with disk brakes. I hand built the wheel set on my own, figuring out spokes lengths and the learning the technique of lacing off Sheldon Browns site.
dsc03880tr1.jpg

Cheers!

Norman

Wow!

I am totally digging those rims of yours (not to mention the disk brake setup).

Found that as far as folders go, Downtube is the absolute cheapest dual suspension 20" that I could find on the market.
As for personal upgrades, I swapped out my seat with one that has a bit more padding (pulled from my old bike) and a bit more sturdy pedals (CrankBrothers 5050 set)
pe299a14grn.jpg

Plan on upgrading my crank to a Shlumpfh gear drive
schlumpfhsd.jpg

Once that's done, I'm keeping it simple and going with a Bionx PL500HS setup
http://www.greenspeed.us/bionx_500_lithium_battery.htm
Yes its more expensive and not much in the way of modding.. but its the lightest out there for the speed and I'm not one to fiddle with electronic components all that much.

Once the bikes fully up to snuff with the components I'm wanting, I'll add the electric assist. Got delayed last year due to some doctor bills, so I'm hoping this is the year that I'll be able to finish my build :mrgreen:

Hey 1800vtx!

Cool choice on crank setup. I saw that Shlumpfh internal geared crankset a while back and thought it was absolutely insane!! Do let me know when you get it and how it works for you. I love how it works. :twisted:

Cheers,

Norman

archer-ca said:
Hey 1800vtx!

Cool choice on crank setup. I saw that Shlumpfh internal geared crankset a while back and thought it was absolutely insane!! Do let me know when you get it and how it works for you. I love how it works. :twisted:

Cheers,

Norman

It'll most likely be the last purchase for the bike. I just finished ordering a x5303 motor and a 72V 35A controller. I'm then going to need to work on bolstering the rear dropouts with some custom steel reinforcements/torque arms. Got a pretty good idea of how I'm going to make that work, but wanted to at least have the motor available to work on the initial mock-ups!

Gonna have the biggest beast of a folder in town :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Well, got some good news and bad news today...

Good news was the x5303 I ordered arrived, bad news was they require a live human being to sign for it, so had to contact FedEx customer service and tell them to hold delivery till Saturday :(

At any rate, I've been patient up till now (nearly a year in waiting), so 3 more days shouldn't hurt. My controller should hopefully come in around the same time as well.

Just biding my time :mrgreen:

Here's a concept of the finished bike :twisted:

concept.jpg

Question:
Is it possible to swap the Bionx pl350/dahon mup8 kit (http://www.nycewheels.com/bionxpl250-electricbike-motorkit.html)that is sold by nycewheels in New york to the following downtube:
http://www.downtube.com/Full_Suspension_Folding_Bike.html

The downtube comes with a cassette and the bionx is only freewheel.

Or, it doesn't matter as long as the rear spacing will accept the bionx rim? Sorry, but i don't have a lot of experience in wrenching just basic repairs.

Thanks.

Doesn't matter, the downtube come with standard 135mm dropout spacing so it will accomodate the freewheel on those hubmotor.

Back