Dr. Greger explains the cause of insulin resistance, p 17 and explains how to reverse heart failure pg 17

Matt Gruber said:
PB is out, but peanuts are not too bad, as studies show that most of the fat ends up in the toilet, since chewing is not as "good" as a PB factory grinder. They add an unknown amount of oil and sugar. It is unknown because they keep it in the same proportion as peanuts. Sneaky. Could be 1/3 oil, who knows. PB is cheaper than peanuts, so they cut corners.

You can get PB that is 100% peanuts (well, they add a tiny bit of salt). Problem is you have to stir it and then keep it refrigerated.
https://ship.kroger.com/p/011110016492/kroger-natural-peanut-butter-creamy-15

fechter said:
The amount of disinformation and misconception regarding "what is good or bad" to eat is truly amazing. I've found many times doctors don't have a clue about certain illnesses and you can figure out some things better on your own.

Diabetes is a very complex disorder. In research at my "day job" we are finding a key part of diabetes is signalling receptors located in the lower ileum part of the gut. These receptors are looking for signalling agents that come from higher in the gut. But if the gut biota gobbles up these agents, they never make it to the L cell receptors in the lower gut and somehow this triggers insulin resistance. Anything that interferes with this endocrine feedback loop causes type 2.

I recently read a paper on this whole idea and was amazed. It blows holes in basically every diet's foundation, including the one i follow.

Every human being *should* be born with a certain set of bacteria in the gut which can turn starchy food into short chain fatty acids. Those who thrive on starchy foods might actually be thriving on fat without knowing it. Ruminants have an extensive system for turning grass into fat.

I developed full blown type 2 diabetes and cannot metabolize carbohydrates anymore, even after 6 years of avoiding them. I also have a history of prolonged, high dose antibiotic use due to untreated T2D hobbling my immune system. I may have killed a lot of my gut flora using those antibiotics.
I tried a high fiber diet and it just blocked me up.

In addition to this, yes, there are also sensors at various points of the gut that trigger different enzymes 'n shit.

It's a very good thing that a human being can survive eating zero carbohydrates, or i would be in very, very big trouble with my type 2 diabetes, because i have the combo of questionable gut bacteria and an extreme degree of insulin resistance.

This stuff can go the other way, and some people have a problem metabolizing fat, and can only handle a low fat diet.

There are so many metabolic outliers, that it is literally impossible for there to be a one size fits all diet.

wturber said:
Matt Gruber said:
PB is out, but peanuts are not too bad, as studies show that most of the fat ends up in the toilet, since chewing is not as "good" as a PB factory grinder. They add an unknown amount of oil and sugar. It is unknown because they keep it in the same proportion as peanuts. Sneaky. Could be 1/3 oil, who knows. PB is cheaper than peanuts, so they cut corners.

You can get PB that is 100% peanuts (well, they add a tiny bit of salt). Problem is you have to stir it and then keep it refrigerated.
https://ship.kroger.com/p/011110016492/kroger-natural-peanut-butter-creamy-15
PB is out, i find that pasta gives me energy 1/2 -1 hour later. PB does not. Not sure if i will ever buy peanuts again. 75% fat is way too much as it is easy to eat too much. Pasta, i measure 1/2 cup, 2 oz, cook it and if i want more, TOO BAD, i'm not going to cook another pot. :lol:
I made the same mistake a lot of researchers make. They think "low fat" is in the 20-30% range. Then they think low fat has no benefit :roll: A true low fat diet is 7% calories from fat :shock: It is all summed up here by a pretty lady https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SP_fRnQ9GRg Spud man totally cured his diabetes by eating plain boiled potatoes for 1 week :shock: Are you guys really unable to eat potatoes :?: I doubt that. I think carb haters scared you into avoiding potatoes :roll:
So PB, chocolate and corn chips are all on my endangered species list :oops: My body does not give me energy from fat :( This is not unusual as many athletes load up on pasta. Sometimes the obvious answer is the best! 8)

Blood test says high fasting glucose. glucose is sugar. People think "i better not eat carbs, as they turn right into glucose" Carbs do turn into glucose, but avoiding carbs is not a cure. The body uses glucose as its #1 fuel. The brain uses glucose only.
Glucose is high because it can't get into the cells, and it builds up in the bloodstream. Why can't it get in? The cells are not letting it in. WHY? Because there is NO ROOM. WHY? Because the cells are clogged with lipids (fat).
SAD- Standard American Diet is too high in fat for the level of activity. Muscle cells can burn fat, sure, but it builds up if you don't get enough exercise. Some fats spoil, get rancid if they sit there too long. Your cells don't want to eat spoiled fat.
BUT, switch for a while to a 7% or LESS fat diet, and your cells will be forced to burn up the existing fat, because the body does need fat to properly function. Once the fat clears out, the cells will accept glucose, and blood levels will return to normal.
Then you have to carefully adjust the fat intake, and if you get enough strenuous exercise fat intake can be quite high, or a lot higher than 7%. But fat is not likely to ever be safe at 30-100% as this gives increased risks for numerous popular diseases. Here is Nathan Pritikin on Diabetes https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcHHDmuyPv4&list=LLfsF7JN6rU-xRywAuHDAmUQ&index=9&t=6s

If they changed the name to reflect the cause, everybody would have a better chance of correcting their diet. :bigthumb:
The test for FAT OVERLOAD is to see if the cells are eating enough glucose by doing various blood sugar tests. If the cells are clogged with fat, the tests show high glucose. High in the blood because the cells are overwhelmed by fat from the SAD- Standard American Diet and it stays in the blood instead of fueling the cells.
Then people might try to get rid of "fat overload" and stop pouring olive oil on everything. oil is NOT healthy when you have the dreaded disease FAT OVERLOAD (formally Diabetes T2)
So right here you have the crux of the massive confusion over the cause of T2D. The current name tells you nothing helpful, so everyone looks at the blood tests, sees high glucose, and tries to cut that number BY EATING MORE FAT- which over a period of years leads to amputations, blindness, heart disease, etc, and and early death.
So for JUNE 2019, i'm cutting out PB, chips and chocolate. For snacks i'm using bananas, mangoes, pasta, and i'm adding table SUGAR :shock: to oatmeal and berries. Scientific study shows that eating even a POUND a day of sugar FOR MONTHS will NOT cause diabetes T2, because it contains no fat and gives energy in the form that cells like it. I'll be adding 1 or 2T for flavor and energy. No. i won't go crazy and pour a pound on :roll:
There is a popular internet theory that HFCS High Fructose Corn Syrup- causes fatty liver disease, but studies don't confirm this; it was just a nice theory by the fat lovers to justify eating tons of fat. :roll: Some take this bogus theory and say fruit is bad because it contains fructose, and table sugar is bad because it is 50% fructose :roll: All are nonsense.
Come July, i'll see about gradually adding a little fat. :bolt:

Today was longest ride in 30 years :bigthumb:
Yesterday i did 16 squats, and at 5am, my muscles were sore so i figured a short ride. WRONG!
So, i've learned more about how the body works, and overnight, after the glucose is used up, it switches to fat, so my 7% fat diet goes out the window :roll: So at 5 am i drank water w/1.5 teaspoons of sugar, to get some glucose in the blood. Ate bowl of pasta with tom paste and salt, and 4 strawberries w/ 1/2t sugar at 5:45am . so a 5% fat breakfast, to to switch from body fat to glucose; too much fat causes fatigue; ever notice the word FAT is in fatigue? Ever wonder where these words come from? Somebody a zillion years ago noticed that too much fat causes you to get tired, and coined the word "fatigue". 8)

deleted- still learning

No corn beer, but still checking..............
I found it hard to believe they can run over 100 miles sometimes barefoot! But they do :shock: See this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnwIKZhrdt4
helpful article https://yaelwrites.com/2011/07/08/what-you-can-learn-from-the-tarahumara/

What u recommend to do a hundred mile day biking for charity, clearly I'll have to prep in advance.

Ianhill said:
What u recommend to do a hundred mile day biking for charity, clearly I'll have to prep in advance.
Everybody has their own plan;
As a well conditioned athlete, Carl Lewis ate pasta the previous evening, and before the meet, peanut butter on bread, and a banana. The bread gives instant energy, then the banana next, and pb is last with 75% fat. After the food is used up, the body runs on stored fat.
BUT, I'm no Carl Lewis :lol: My previous evening meal is all used up by 6am. So i'd eat a large bowl of pasta 90 minutes before the start. it takes about 45-60 minutes for the food to exit the stomach, and enter the small intestine, which pushes things along, so i need time to take a crap before the race starts.
I'd bring along a banana or 2 for mid race.The body is more efficient on glucose, than fat. This is because glucose gets thru tiny blood vessles that go to your muscles better than sticky fat.
People may offer you soda during the race. However too much soda can give a spike and cause an insulin spike that removes too much glucose too fast and you could get dizzy. You will find this out if this bothers you in training, i prefer water and slower digesting food. I could drink 2 gulps of free soda, sure it could give a boost, but not the whole cup at once.
Good luck and tell us how you do. :bigthumb:
This video shows how fat coats the blood cells and makes them sticky, and impairs circulation, and reduces your range. Awesome video from a microscope! 8) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSt_GGI0JPY

As did the ancient Egyptians, i've learned how to use diet. Story is that Kings who became fatigued 3000 years ago, would visit the peasants for a month, and eat their food, to cure their illness. Peasants could not afford meat or dairy, only kings ate them. The kings learned to prepare low fat dishes.
So, now i know what to do, should the dreaded Fat Overload re-appear. To celebrate i ate a half ounce of PB on a banana- still only 20% fat, so no going crazy. I wrote the date on the jar, so every 10 days i will weigh it and get a daily average, so i won't try to weigh it every time. And i have the corn chips in the oven; they got soggy unloved for a month.
more to come.................

neptronix said:
I recently read a paper on this whole idea and was amazed. It blows holes in basically every diet's foundation, including the one i follow...

I developed full blown type 2 diabetes and cannot metabolize carbohydrates anymore, even after 6 years of avoiding them. I also have a history of prolonged, high dose antibiotic use due to untreated T2D hobbling my immune system. I may have killed a lot of my gut flora using those antibiotics.
I tried a high fiber diet and it just blocked me up...

Most People around the world don't eat healthy Food, because they can't afford ist, because they simple prefer the shit Food or because they simpley don't care or know.

But I belive the US is a special case with a Food industry that offers pure shit to the masses. Same with antibiotika and other drug use and abuse over decades. I'm not sure if there is a Country in the world where people consume more "Magic pills" than in the US.
Antibiotika and othere medicine is very good stuff, IF you REALLY Need it in case of an emergency.

I have eaten many different diets in my life, bacse Lifestyle changes, taste changes, education on Food gets more important, climate Change and ethic concerrns are consideres with meat production, during the Military service and of course I spent many months in other countries and many months travling.

I can eat -any- diet without any health problems, of course eating the unhealthy stuff will get you problems in the longer term. My Body does not care about the amounts of carbs, fat or Proteins in any food that even my grandparants would have recognised as real food.

On the other hand I do not consume any "pills". Sure, If I would have a problematic bacterial infection I would take antibiotics, that's what those are made for. But why else.

You may think that I#m just lucky, but I would say, that I'm just a perfectly average Person. It is not normal to have any diet Problems if you eat real Food, no matter what you eat and it is not normal that you need to consume any pills on a regular basis.

I belive that many people have activly (not neseceserly knowingly) destroyed their own body with all the shit they eat and all the Magic pills they cosnume and I would not recommend to take any advice on Nutrition from them, especially if it is some magic formula like "you have to eat exactly this and this".

Eat what your grandparents could have recognised as food and if you eat mostly the stuff that is consideres healthy (this excludes large amounts of industrial sugars, alcohol and some kinds of industrial processed fast and most likely excludes eating huge amounts of meat) you will pe perfectly fine, as long as you are healthy. Beeining healthy is the normality, sickness should be the exception.

If your food makes you sick there is something terribly wrong with your food. And it's not the amount of carbs or fats or protein.

So a year ago my pulse was too fast, now it may be too slow :roll: i feel really lethargic when it drops below 60, like 57-59. BUT this year this low pulse could be from better CV fitness :thumb: (not taking any meds)
Also saw video of a Dr. at Cleveland Clinic that said heel strikes are critical to prevent bone loss. Makes sense since the jolt should stimulate bone growth. Not likely to get this on a bike :roll:
So i tried some really fast walking, landing on the heel. This got my pulse up to 113. Then i tried my kick scooter and went faster than ever, doing a u-turn to near stop every 75' and got my pulse up to 147 :shock: :thumb:
Had a 2lb water loss in just 9 minutes :shock: drank water :lol:
Also bringing back my bean dish, as a newer study shows beans are good to avoid fractures. I'm adding pasta to it as i need more calories due to all this exercise :thumb:
6-23-19 update
yesterday i ate 7 plates of food, and today i'm still down to the "water loss" low of 116. :shock: did i burn fat?
...........just read that if i stimulate bone growth, i need an extra ~300 calories/day :shock: OK, 8 plates today

So here Bob & Brad discuss effective sprinting - only 20 SECOND sprints do the trick :shock:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLaAP1jLb4I ( Also shows many exercises for anybody that wants to get in better shape :thumb:
Just so happens i've been doing this on the bike:
i ride on to the main road every 1/2 mile and sprint fast to avoid traffic for 300' to the next side street. Not sure the exact time, but seems to be similar to the research study. I ride slower on each side street to get a look at free items next to the trash cans :lol: (Just got free aluminum handlebars today)
Also on my kick scooter i sprint up to speed after each U-turn. Then cruise a while, which is far easier than accelerating. Check out that video (if you are not lazy) :bigthumb:

Matt Gruber said:
So a year ago my pulse was too fast, now it may be too slow :roll: i feel really lethargic when it drops below 60, like 57-59. BUT this year this low pulse could be from better CV fitness :thumb: (not taking any meds)

You may be confusing cause and effect here. I suspect that slowing down and relaxing - actually moving and thinking less - lowers your heart rate.

For instance, my resting heart rate is around 55. But my sleeping heart rate is 40-50 and it drops to its lowest as I progress further and deeper into sleep. It slows down because I'm sleeping, not the other way 'round. The heart responds according to the demands placed on it. Same as with exercise and/or excitement.

tried the 20 second sprints, 3 with 2 minutes slower in between. Went as fast as i could, even faster than before as i missed the 1st side street. by the 3rd sprint, i could feel the good kind if sore muscle that tells you it has been worked hard 8) So i'm sure that this will speed my recovery :thumb: I did not have time for a long ride today, so normally i'd skip today.
did an old time diabetes test that does not require blood work. the test is to eat twice as much food for dinner when i'm just going to watch tv, no exercise. well, i flunked; i fell asleep watching tv at 6:45pm :shock: :lol:
which indicates i'm only cured if i space my meals out every 2-3 hours. I don't mind this at all since i'm retired. I don't take any meds at all, and prefer this method to modern medicine with all those drugs and insulin injection, does not appeal to me.
The explanation is that my glucose spiked and either that made me dose off, or my insulin over-corrected and that would push my glucose so low that i fall asleep. i slept until 10:15, was a deep sleep.

I'm on a bulking diet of carbs and red meats trying to store as much useful energy as I can, my exercise is light but effective just to keep current pace I'm sure I'll get done what I need to but I'll be in pain the day after I'll have to use recovery methods limit the pain.

Follow up on yesterdays sprinting, did have pain 8 hrs later, where the muscle connects to my hip. :(
Had to lie down for an hour. Figured that i'd have to cancel the next day ride :(
But NO the recovery speed is amazing, eating a healthy diet low in fat and no meat. This is because tiny blood vessles flow easier without sticky fat, and quickly make needed repairs. (and i'm 66)
So i was able to do todays longer ride with no pain (i did start out slowly) but ended quickly and averaged my regular speed. :bigthumb: Shame on the cattle industry for promoting junk food as healthy :roll: Just ask yourself "Where do the cows get their protein?"
Do they eat other cows? :lol: No, they eat corn and grass. Cut out the middle man (cow) and eat corn, potatoes, sweet potatoes, etc., directly, and avoid the sticky fat 8)

wturber said:
Matt Gruber said:

You may be confusing cause and effect here. I suspect that slowing down and relaxing - actually moving and thinking less - lowers your heart rate.

For instance, my resting heart rate is around 55. But my sleeping heart rate is 40-50 and it drops to its lowest as I progress further and deeper into sleep. It slows down because I'm sleeping, not the other way 'round. The heart responds according to the demands placed on it. Same as with exercise and/or excitement.
Here is a better example:
today right after a ride my pulse was 91. 2 min later= 73
2 weeks ago rode 1/2 the distance, yet pulse was 128. 2 min later 94.
speed, and recovery time are going to be faster with a higher pulse. i got some kelp powder for a test. just 1/4 ounce. idea is to put a pinch on my food. kelp is way high in iodine, and if my diet is too low in iodine, my thyroid will make more T4 hormone, and my heart rate will pick up. If my thyroid has plenty, it should just ignore it. Seafood is high in iodine, and today i'll have 2oz of sardines at lunch. As Hippocrates said : Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food.

Set a new 30+ year record today. Half hour before the start, ate 1/4 of an over-ripe pineapple w/oatmeal. after i came back i had another 1/4 + o, and i froze the rest. Feels great to be 66, and riding more than in my late 20's or 30's. :bigthumb:
Yesterday i put away the peanut grinder, and put a small oven on the counter. Switching to wheat products without oil from PB, which is 75% calories from fat :roll: So when i want a snack, i can have bread and jam, chips, or pasta. Besides the usual fruit.
Your results may vary; you have to test foods to see what works for you :thumb:

Well that wheat substitute is switched to fruit! And my 1st impression is more energy and less hunger!
I was not expecting the hunger to disappear :shock: My theory is that since the fruit contains about 1/3 fructose, this fructose is said to be converted to triglycerides (TG) by the liver, and can be stored as TG are a type of fat. And this triggers satiety. So hunger disappears. Today is only my 3rd day w/extra fruit, so the food test continues.................. :bigthumb:

Since i had to cut out nuts due to poor performance(less range), i found this nut test video interesting
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkC0-sXruM8
You can do a test with a $25,000 machine, or you can see how far you can ride your bike :lol:

this 80% carb diet with only 7% fat has been a real eye-opener for me :bigthumb:
I'm now doing muscle rehab and my recovery time is amazing, like i was 18 again (i'm 66).
As to why, here is what i've read.
There are 60,000 miles of tiny blood vessels, most of which get sludged up with higher amounts of fat. They provide glucose to recharge muscles during and after exercise. So with good flow, i get fast recovery. Before i'd avoid exercise as i'd get an injury and it could take weeks or months to repair. Now, i'm fine the next day. Amazing 8)
If i could be half as strong as this guy when i'm 70.................hmmmmm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukzIG0bLU_Q
while there is no fountain of youth, he is as youthful as i can imagine

so for the past 10-15 yrs i've been doing 12 reps of a leg exercise. could not get past 15 without being real sore.
so 2 weeks ago i got up to 20, last week 25, 3 days ago 30, last night 50 :shock: and i'm not sore today 8)
So i'll be increasing the weight next time :D
Don't knock a 7% fat plan until you have tried it! I'm eating all the foods consensus says to avoid :shock:
Thanks to Corey Wayne who has 1000 videos. One major bit of advice, if something does not work, try the opposite! What could be easier than testing food? No drugs, needles, or Dr. visits. 8)
And get this, i was riding my bike no shirt, and my neighbor commented that i look great 8) This could be the FIRST time that happened!

Glad you're doing well.

Local fruit trees in the urbs are dropping fruit left and right and i've been using that as a supplemental fuel for my nightly 1 hour bike ride this summer. When my energy demands are high ( riding bikes, lifting weights, etc ), i can metabolize it properly without it turning into inflammation and weight gain fuel. So foraged fruit is okay in those situations.

Recently we cheated at an indian restaurant, and i ate a little of everything. Indian food is based on starchy stuff like rice, potatoes, and wheat. This place was also low on the salt also. I felt as awful as i did when i used to eat like that every day 6 years ago. After a few hours of feeling half dead, i managed to muster the energy to get on a bike and pedal at the highest intensity i could muster. A gallon of water and 10 miles later ( it was 95F! ), i was finally feeling better.

Me and my wife have cheated before and never felt so ill. It seems that my body likes starch the least, of all carby foods.

Back