Dropout spacing

Jae

10 mW
The Mongoose Malus i just bought has a rear dropout spacing of 185mm,is it better to spacer the motor or spread the frame a little? I see 170 and 190mm 3000w hub motors on Aliexpress at 170 and 190mm. I would think spreading 5mm would be the most logical option.

I Wasn't thinking about the washers on the inside,thinking now 170mm may be the better option

For planning, depending on how many washers you use, expect that you may need spacer washers for your caliper or disc to maintain brake alignment.

Kinda bummed i think i messeed up.I was wanting to use the qs205 but aparently that only comes in 150mm. 35mm would be a lot to try and spread the frame i think :( Am i looking at this the right way? Or should i just spread the dropouts that 35mm?

Last edited:
Am i looking at this the right way?
Appears not. Apparently the motor is 35mm narrower than the dropout width?

Verify:
Motor OLD* = 150mm
Bike dropout spacing = 185mm
That leaves 35mm space between the axle locknuts and inner surfaces of the dropouts. Fill with washers as needed.

*OLD = Over Locknut Distance = Width of the motor essentially, measured to each of the outer surfaces where the bare axle emerges on each side.

old.jpg

From Bicycle Frame/Hub Spacing

Yes thak you i realize my mistake now.Not sure how i got that backwards i feel kinda dumb now haha.

Back