Dual Wheel Ebike Build

Hopefully this is the right place to put this kind of thing, but if not, I can move it. So I have these two 500w motors my local bike shop gave me which is nice. To top it off, one of them has a controller, regen brakes, pedal assist, and a throttle. It just needs a battery. The other motor doesn't have anything for it but I had a idea. I wanted to make it a dual wheel since they're both 500w. The only downside is a battery. The only older battery I have is my old 48v 10.4ah, which might overkill it pretty much, and a 1000w controller for my current daily bike which would be overkill as well. I remember my last controller I had getting too much juice and eventually burning it up on my old daily bike, but it's working perfectly okay now. I did see a video on this and it showed I could have a cycle analyst that can easily sort out how much power it pulls and such, but that's too expensive for me and I don't have to funds to afford it as well. My only option is getting two controllers, one battery, and just go from that. I can hook up the pos and neg wires, and the signal wire to one of the controllers, and the other controller will have just the signal wire, minus the pos and neg wires connecting to it. But what do you think I should do? Should I just invest in a 36v battery, or just try using this one? It is full at 53.8-54v at times, and dies at 36v. And this controller does have a rated amperage of 22a, so would the battery I have be okay to use it? I did forget to say both wheels are rear wheels, but I took the one on the right downtown with a front disc on it and took it's gears off and made it a front wheel. It'll look weird, believe me on that, but I don't know any place that'll sell a winding that could fit the existing magnets in the hub, let alone waste more money. But alas, projects are projects.

Attachments

• IMG_20230210_155222342_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230210_155222342_HDR.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 170
  • IMG_20230210_155316895_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230210_155316895_HDR.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 170
  • IMG_20230210_155326475_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230210_155326475_HDR.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 170
  • IMG_20230210_155339966_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230210_155339966_HDR.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 170
  • IMG_20230210_155409338_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230210_155409338_HDR.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 170
Sounds like you don't have the funds to pursue that dream. Put any money you have toward a decent battery and build a one motor bike.

That's a 48v battery, which isn't going to do well with a 36v controller.
Fully charged it might not run because the controller over volt protection, and and the other end might get damaged from the low voltage cutoff being set to protect a 36 v battery.

Voltron said:
That's a 48v battery, which isn't going to do well with a 36v controller.
Fully charged it might not run because the controller over volt protection, and and the other end might get damaged from the low voltage cutoff being set to protect a 36 v battery.

Yeahhh, that's the issue with this old battery. I'd hook it up to my existing bike, but after giving it a try, it gave up and shut off from low power around 3 miles. And how much voltage my bike was pulling, that battery's too weak which was about 1150w pulled even though my bike is a 1000w bike.

E-HP said:
Sounds like you don't have the funds to pursue that dream. Put any money you have toward a decent battery and build a one motor bike.

But i'd rather have a dual wheel, even though one of them has it's rear gear cassette taken off. I already have two ebikes. One I invested into fixing and should be selling, but it's lacking a throttle, and another I daily use. My best bet is finding a place that recycles ebike batteries seeing as how this old battery just doesn't have a home to a new bike anymore or sell it. It's pretty much collecting dust at this point.

Superwooper10 said:
But i'd rather have a dual wheel, even though one of them has it's rear gear cassette taken off. I already have two ebikes. One I invested into fixing and should be selling, but it's lacking a throttle, and another I daily use. My best bet is finding a place that recycles ebike batteries seeing as how this old battery just doesn't have a home to a new bike anymore or sell it. It's pretty much collecting dust at this point.

Then install the motors. You can just pedal until you can invest in the parts, but you'll have your dual motors until then. Is your front fork for a fat tire bike?

E-HP said:
Superwooper10 said:

Then install the motors. You can just pedal until you can invest in the parts, but you'll have your dual motors until then. Is your front fork for a fat tire bike?

So here's the thing. I have two bikes. One I daily use that's a front wheel drive, and another bike I spent some money on to repair and likely sell, and I just have two rear DD motors with one of them missing it's rear gears since I wanna make it a front wheel and I know it'll look weird. But i'm just wondering on what to exactly do for now. I just need to find another bike to add these hub motors onto it and likely sell that in the near future as well.

Superwooper10 said:
So here's the thing. I have two bikes. One I daily use that's a front wheel drive, and another bike I spent some money on to repair and likely sell, and I just have two rear DD motors with one of them missing it's rear gears since I wanna make it a front wheel and I know it'll look weird. But i'm just wondering on what to exactly do for now. I just need to find another bike to add these hub motors onto it and likely sell that in the near future as well.

Thanks for clarifying.

I have 2 front hub kits and 1 new rear hub kit, and there is no comparison between rear and front. Front hub riding at speed is like a chore; the rear kit has brought back the fun in ebiking. You could sell the front once you're set up. Using a 48 v battery on a 36 v controller may work for a few rides and then the controller is fried. Maybe a technician can inspect controller and answer that.

Back