E-bike Achilles heel?

Ride my bike to work and back, and also recreationally. That's it. Leave my bike unattended in Reno? :lol:

xylene23nyc said:
This one is right outside REI a shop that sells bikes and locks in a very high end neighborhood in Manhattan. Cant imagine what they would do here for a $7k Trek Ebike.

Yeah crazy the boldness of these thiefs! I don’t promote violence but I would’ve absolutely stop them. Go for the one with the power tool first see how strong that jawline is :lol:
I think breaking the jaw of a thief will definitely allow this man to reflect as his jaw is wired shut for a month eating through a straw.
And for the man in the video he is a coward for doing nothing. He could’ve at least screamed theft or something. Could’ve easily stopped those scumbags from taking that bike. All those men standing around did nothing! I can understand a woman minding her business but as men we should stand up for what is just.

Eastwood said:
xylene23nyc said:
This one is right outside REI a shop that sells bikes and locks in a very high end neighborhood in Manhattan. Cant imagine what they would do here for a $7k Trek Ebike.

Yeah crazy the boldness of these thiefs! I don’t promote violence but I would’ve absolutely stop them. Go for the one with the power tool first see how strong that jawline is :lol:
I think breaking the jaw of a thief will definitely allow this man to reflect as his jaw is wired shut for a month eating through a straw.
And for the man in the video he is a coward for doing nothing. He could’ve at least screamed theft or something. Could’ve easily stopped those scumbags from taking that bike. All those men standing around did nothing! I can understand a woman minding her business but as men we should stand up for what is just.

I agree and don't promote violence either but I'd do what I had to do if I felt threatened after confronting someone with an angle grinder/deadly weapon. I throw weights around heavier than those thiefs.

The same battery technology that makes powerful ebikes possible also makes it possible for expensive locks to be cut in seconds.

I don't know what the solution is, other than to never leave your bike unattended. Makes it a not very useful tool for running errands, etc.

biphaeboh said:
I don't know what the solution is, other than to never leave your bike unattended. Makes it a not very useful tool for running errands, etc.

I'm going to try the Skunk lock for city use once my new build is in action. If anyone really wants it they will have to suffer through the noxious chemicals if I don't get to them first.

biphaeboh said:

Yeah that’s your best bet is to not leave it anywhere unfortunately. In my situation have a Apple AirTag hidden in the bike so I could at least track it. That being said I don’t leave any bike anywhere. I mean I’ve ran inside the gas station for a few moments but I was eyeballing out the window the entire time.

Another option is is hook up a really loud alarm with perhaps extra horns.

And I wish there was a way that we could use the electricity as a defense so they would get shocked if the alarm is triggered or something like that. Seen a guy do this on his work van where they kept stealing his tools. I think he had it rigged up where if the alarm was triggered it would activate. Then any part on the outside of the vehicle you touch you get zapped lol imagine someone in the rain trying to break into his van :lol:

Eastwood said:
I don’t promote violence but I would’ve absolutely stop them. Go for the one with the power tool first see how strong that jawline is :lol:

You'd have a lot of time for reflection yourself, since this was in New York and you would absolutely go to jail.

simonov said:
Eastwood said:
I don’t promote violence but I would’ve absolutely stop them. Go for the one with the power tool first see how strong that jawline is :lol:

You'd have a lot of time for reflection yourself, since this was in New York and you would absolutely go to jail.

No the man has a lethal weapon in his hand. If you walk up to the man demanding that he stops which is going to lead to him threatening you with the weapon. At that moment you legally have justification for self-defense cause you’ve been threatened with a deadly weapon.

On the other hand if someone did just walk up and knock him out how would they go to jail if there’s no cop there? What do you think the cops are gonna go through surveillance tapes to figure out who stoped the criminal, no ridiculous. It would happen so quick and the person would walk away nowhere to be found before any cop was there. If there were any cops present he wouldn’t be grinding the lock off in broad daylight.

But again I don’t promote violence I promote love! I try my best to spread as much love as I can in this life to people. That being said sometimes in his life you have to stand up and fight for what is right. There’s thieves on the street because no one does anything. In New York there’s just so many people and people just don’t care they just keep moving along and I can understand the perspective but if you’re equipped in combat you should neutralize the target standing in the middle of public threatening everyone with that deadly weapon. At any moment he could swing that thing at someone. Those thieves would lose their life if the cops were there if they didn’t put that weapon down they would get shot real quick because there’s so many people close by.

Eastwood said:
simonov said:
Eastwood said:

No the man has a lethal weapon in his hand. If you walk up to the man demanding that he stops which is going to lead to him threatening you with the weapon. At that moment you legally have justification for self-defense cause you’ve been threatened with a deadly weapon.

Not in New York you don't. :lol:

In fact, not in most US states. You would not legally be able to initiate force unless you had a reasonable fear of death or grave bodily injury to yourself or to others. The prosecutor would simply point out that until you approached him, the thief was not threatening anyone. Then he would ask, "Why did you approach him?" And that would be that. Plenty of Americans are sitting in jail right now following similar scenarios. You do not have license, in this country, to walk up and attack anyone holding a metal tool in his hand.

(of course, individual cases are always different, but in general there are very limited circumstances where people can legally initiate violence).

This is the kind of stuff we learn in our concealed carry certification classes, for states that require such lings (like mine :( ).

Back