Some tips on commuting to work by bicycle or E-bike

RLutz

1 mW
This topic has very likely been discussed in depth. Doing a search "Commute" hits over 7000 times and is over 290 pages. So I figure It won't hurt to put my spin on the topic.

I have been commuting off and on by bike or e-bike for 30 years. Here are some tips I would like to share and I encourage other community members too add anything I have missed.

Inspect your bike before every ride. Check chain tension, tire pressure, the nuts and bolts for looseness, wire connections, batteries and anything specific to your bike.

If you are running late, leave the bike home and take the car, bus or call a rideshare.

Keep some things with you, but stash other things at work ahead of time.

The things to keep on your person, cell phone, wallet/purse, basic tools, rain gear.

The things you can stash at your work are, change of clothes, shoes, personal hygine products, Wash cloth and towel.
If charging your bike at work, can you get a 2nd charger to leave in your desk? Keep the nice one at home and the slow charger at work, after all you are likely to be there eight or more hours.

Take a shower in the morning right before you depart for your commute. When you arrive, cool off for 10-15 min. then with a damp wash cloth wipe the sweat off your torso. Dry off and change into your work clothes. Because you washed prior to riding to work, all you are washing off is salt, electrolytes and road grime. The wash cloth and towel, if allowed to dry, should be good for 1 week of repeat use.

By keeping as much as possible at your destination, you don’t need to haul all that extra weight and bulk each way.

Consider paniers rather than a backpack. It gets the weight off your back and lowers your center of gravity. You can load bike stuff on one side and work stuff on the other. Wearing a backpack also hold all the heat your body is trying to radiate when your exercising.

If you don’t know how to replace and/or patch an innertube, learn how NOW.

If you have never ridden the route by bike before, do it on a day off. You enjoy biking, so a few hours on your day off should be enjoyable. This give you a leisurely opportunity to evaluate the safety and convenience of your route. The route I drive in my car is not the route I use on my bike. I travel 2 extra miles on my bike because it is a far safer route. Look for things like bike lanes and obstructions in those lanes like manhole covers, ruts crack and pot holes. If using sidewalks, curbs, ramps, bus stops, tight turns with obstructions like railings. Is there overgrown vegetation. When riding a new route, I carry a pair of pruning snips in my jersey pocket to trim branches that could hit my eyes or face when riding at speed.

Wear your safety equipment. I grew up in a time before bike helmets, and I still always ride with one. Gloves are nice and bike shorts with a pad in the seat is also nice. (They make bike shorts that are not Lycra that have pads. Don’t forget your eye protection.

The article in the following link was well written and fun to read on the topic of commuting and thinking he was ready.
https://www.bicycling.com/rides/a20039285/i-tried-bike-commuting-every-day-for-a-week-and-this-is-what-happened/

Embrace the weather!

If you’re a fair-weather rider, great! I’m glad you ditch the car some of the time. If you want to make a serious go at bike commuting, then get the right gear for you and enjoy every drop of rain and snowflake that hits your face. The right attitude makes all the difference.

Sometimes just waiting 20 min to leave is the difference between a downpour and a refreshing sprinkle and rainbows.

Learn the laws. Ride with curtesy. Signal your intent. Never ride against traffic, (even on the side walk) motorists are looking the other direction and will run you over and kill you.

An example of knowing the law is the “Idaho Stop” yes this is a real thing, check out the Wiki https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idaho_stop

Just because they can do it there and Delaware and a few other places, doesn’t necessarily mean where you live, they are so progressive and bike friendly.

Finally, consider ditching the earbuds. I like music and podcasts, but when I’m riding I want to be in the moment. I feel that if I’m isolated from the experience of riding, I might as well drive. Not to mention hearing a threat may alert you to a danger that can be avoided.

I hope this helps someone and please members add to this.

40+ years commuting by bicycle and still learning new stuff all the time. Fortunately I always lived fairly close to work (< 15 miles each way), and had earlier hours offsetting the heaviest traffic in one of the busiest areas straddling the LA/Orange County line.
Was able to use the San Gabriel River Trail and marked bike lanes most of the time, but a few dangerous gaps exist where one can be mere inches from disaster. Only got hit twice and without a serious injury, waiting for and exiting the bus was more dangerous as I got jumped twice. One time with 2 guys on foot threatening me while stopped at a light I just peddled away.
I tried lots of lights and gear but over the years I Went more towards rugged military boots, gloves and gear. The war on bikes is on, and most bicycle oriented/branded stuff is overpriced, flimsy and ends up as roadkill.
Worked 2 jobs so 2 bikes made sense, even if one was a spare. Motor was a great addition and time saver before I retired. Thanks to all at ES for something more than being a human motor. :lol:

Get a powerful bike that can easily go faster than traffic and make sure you regularly practice high performance riding or you may get frocked. Also, brakes.

See cops, slow down and spin pedals.

Usual stuff about the bike being mechanically competent.

Only 2 ebikes :wink:

Your right: Gracias ES

The fingers said:
2 bikes made sense, even if one was a spare. Motor was a great addition and time saver before I retired. Thanks to all at ES for something more than being a human motor. :lol:

Today I commuted on one of my ebikes for the hell of it. I enjoy being able to run lights and split traffic without other motorists paying me a second glance but overall my commute is MUCH better on my Zero because it's bigger and more comfortable.

So basically, the biggest tip I can now provide to any would-be ebike commuters is to get a Zero.

Also, fenders. Preferably full fenders if your bike can handle them.

Consider using lighting as well, even in the daytime, because every little bit helps. More time on the road means more opportunity for things to go badly, so anything that helps viability is probably a good idea.

HK12K said:
Consider using lighting as well, even in the daytime, because every little bit helps. More time on the road means more opportunity for things to go badly, so anything that helps viability is probably a good idea.
Lighting....:)

file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

it's funny, but drivers will go a whole lane around a bike/trike with a dog in/on it, where too often they'll almost literally scrape the handlebars of a bike with just a human on it, or even run it off the road (or actually hit it), at their worst.

I did a bit of testing some time back with the dogcrate version of SB Cruiser (based on previous experience with bikes with trailers), such as riding at night with a dog (Tiny) in the back, with the inside lights turned off (and at the time I had much less downlighting and other exterior lighting). The cars would pass pretty close sometimes, and some of them would blare horns at me, or even yell. Not many, but some.

With the inside lights turned on with Tiny in there, cars would pass much further away, usually in the next lane, and none honked or yelled, same routes at the same times.

With the inside lights turned on but no dog in there, cars would pass closer than with Tiny in there and lit up, but not nearly as close as with no lights on inside.

It could be coincidence, timing, etc., but it's much more likely to be a reaction to the dog (and the lights--the lights make things look bigger at night).

No, I watch them in my mirror and then as they pass me, and then ignore them if they're not going to do violence in some fashion. ;)

Back