E-bike legal advocacy

dfarning

1 mW
Hello all,

While I wait for some 6-pin JST SM connectors to arrive to arrive for my ebike build, I am attaching a Cycle Analyst 3 to a Cyclone 3000, I thought that I would look into ebike advocacy.

It feels like ebikes are at a tipping point where it might be possible to do some coordinated ebike advocacy. Is anyone else interesting in working on a coordinated effort. I understand that by ones very nature, first generation ebike builders are rebels who are more interested in the engineering than law.

The ebike laws are state-by-state. What would you advocate for?

Personally, I'd prefer to see our law in AZ remain unchanged, as at present the only limitation is a <20mph speed limit, which is perfectly reasonable.

Any change would only be more restrictive, and unhelpful. ;)

I'd like to see someone show up at meetings of stakeholders at parks and trails to get eMTBs allowed where pMTBs are allowed. We need advocacy to open access to more trails , we already have access to the streets.......

With a 3000w flyweight motorcycle in your garage,, I'm not sure what type vehicle you should be an advocate for,, or where.

Personally,, I hope my state, New Mexico USA, sticks it's head in the sand and never comes up. If I ride under 30 mph,, I'm legal on that flyweight motorcycle now. I need a license to be legal,, but I could give a rats ass about the DUI crowd. They can ride a slower e bike and not have any problems anyway.

If it gets changed,, Id like to see something like the CA law, but no PAS requirements. Those PAS requirements discriminate heavily against those with health reasons they cannot pedal continuously.

Discriminate against the DUI guy sure, but not against a guy with a torn up knee or hip or COPD.

Re bike path access,, Some places need new bike paths, separate from pedestrians. Or at the very least low speed limits for everything on the path. I see no visible single track trail damage with a bike under 1000w. Other more scientific studies agree. But my 2000w hub motor bike will dig a rut.

The problem with limiting wattage and allowing motors at moab for example, is that you just cannot really tell what wattage a guy is running. So once you let motors in,, there he goes on that 3000w "bike", throwing rocks and digging ruts in lovingly crafted and maintained trail. The only easy thing is a total ban,,then selectively enforce it,, as they do now in many places I bet.

The sign I'd like to see on the trail head, is a guy with a dick for a head, and a slash.

Back