E-Rider 68mm BB spider bolts bottoming out

frankus_

10 µW
I'm in the middle of installing an E-Rider BB torque sensor, and when I fully tighten the chainring spider to the thing that it bolts to, there is about 4mm of screw protruding on the inside. It rubs up against the drive-side BB bearing/shell long before the bolt can be fully tightened.

The spider looks a bit different than the pictures on ebikes.ca (where I bought it), so I'm wondering if they might have updated the spider without updating the bolts (10mm). I'm fine getting shorter bolts or using some washers or whatever to space things out, but I want to make sure I haven't screwed something up along the way (maybe there's a little spacer ring or something I lost?).

It's the 5-leg 68mm unit, and I double and triple checked that my BB shell (and the old BB) is 68mm.

You are correct. I have also noticed that the spiders that Ebikes.ca supply have changed recently. The result of this is that the spider is thinner where the bolts pass through and it needs to be used with shorter bolts.

Ebikes.ca used to supply a spider that has CL47 printed on the back to designate a 47mm chainline, but the most recent unit I have from them was supplied with a spider with CL42 printed on the back which designates a 42mm chainline. This puts the chainring and chain 5mm closer to the frame, and it also requires shorter bolts.

I asked them whether this is an intentional and permanent change to this new spider, or whether this was just a one-off shipping mistake, but I haven't heard back from them on that question yet.

thanks,
Oli.

Back