EBike Apparel: Jackets Trousers Gloves etc.

Kingfish

100 MW
Redmond, WA-USA, Earth, Sol, Orion–Cygnus Arm, Mil
Greetings –
It’s that time of the year again when I have to evaluate my needs and review the quality of the equipment and determine if it can get through the winter. The elementary questions on my mind that I think affect many in the ebike world is where to purchase quality product, who makes it, how well it will hold up, and how well suited is it for athleticism.

Briefly, my gear has evolved from simple cycling garments into a higher quality dedicated jacket, over-pants/trousers, gloves, winter boots, and helmet w/ visor.

2010.lluminiteSeattleJacket.jpg

▪ The jacket is the lluminite Seattle Jacket that is good for 3-1/2 seasons out of 4 with removable sleeves and adequate venting, however it is no longer available. After the first year of riding it was getting pretty filthy and sort of had a soul of its’ own in terms of communal biota, so I washed it. Boom, just like that – ½ of the waterproof ability was gone. I tried to rejuvenate it with the wash-in stuff and the dryer stuff, but no real joy. One more year and it had to be washed again – now it’s only good for light rain. :cry:

▪ The over-pants are REI-brand and they have more or less worn like iron except for the waterproofing which went the way of the Seattle Jacket. Structurally both are still sound and useable for another year or two, but not for Seattle.

2010.PearlIzumiCycloneGloves.jpg

▪ The Pearl Izumi (IQ) Cyclone Gloves are in moderate condition and can last another year. I tried the summer gloves with the fingers cut off – but they were too much trouble to get on and off, so I wore the ol’ comfy winter gloves year-around: The tactile grippy surface in the inside is nearly worn away, but structurally – the gloves still work and the stitching is holding together – although they look like they’ve been through hell… but then so have I. Although they are not particularly waterproof (only a problem near freezing & raining), no sense replacing what’s working.

2010.LakeWinterCyclingBoots.jpg

▪ The Lake Winter Cycling Boots (2011 Model #MXZ302) have taken a beating on the toes where I habitually reset the pedals/crank at each stop. Other than that – they are holding their own quite well. I just applied a double coat of snow seal this week and they’re good to go for the worst of crud.

▪ The AGV Blade Helmet is in exceptionally good shape. I have the FogCity ProShield accessory ready to apply… beyond that – it’s ready for bear. Like the boots above, this has been one of my best investments. :wink:

Packpack or Day pack: I’m just mentioning this for completeness. My present gear is becoming worn out after a healthy decade of use and is just now beginning to lose the remarkable waterproof abilities. For now, replacement is a notch lower in priority.

All other garments are what I consider - not in the same category as the dedicated riding apparel; without intending to make a bad pun – it’s all underwear, and that’s rather specific to hour-to-hour/day-to-day weather, personal preference… and fashion.

Issues:
The problem that I am facing is replacing the jacket and trousers with something with equal or better. In general, Motorcycle gear is out; it weighs too much and is not suitable for aggressive athletic activity such as pedaling. However - my trip to REI was most disappointing because the very best 2012 Winter cycling jacket in stock didn’t compare to what I’m wearing now: It’s not as thick or multi-layered, and it’s more expensive. I began looking at other ideas – like adapting a ski jacket for riding, but then they’re not that great in the rain (although I have an old red Marmot that can withstand a monsoon; it’s just too heavy for cycling). FTR, I looked at North Face and Patagonia, and the selection is even more niche and segmented into activity, none of which appears clearly adaptable to aggressive electric-cycling.

Expanding the search to Moped Jackets, I came across two interesting examples at the Motorcycle Superstore – but before I do I should state plainly that I have a self-preservation bias towards high-visibility outerwear in white or yellow: :twisted:

2012.FirstgearRushMeshJacket.jpg

Firstgear Rush Mesh Jacket - $162 USD

2012.IconPatrolWaterproofJacket.jpg

Icon Patrol Waterproof Jacket - $400 USD

The sinking feeling I have is that these could be heavy, though not as much as full-on leathers. However, I like the concept of having apparel suited to the faster road speeds. Combined with armor and padding and rugged material… well, it’s an appealing idea. I just don’t know how much these things weigh and whether they can take daily abuse of actual cycling.

Thus I cast a wide net in survey to glean from the ridership, cherry-picking if you will, the very best in riding equipment for those of us in the wide gray area between bicycling and motorcycle for street & urban travel in inclement weather:

• What works best for you and why? :)

Thank you in advance, KF

If those last two jackets are like the MC jacket I found at goodwill, tehn without their liners they'll be fairly light, about like a dinner jacket or a light trenchcoat. I haven't weighed it but it can't be more than 2-3 pounds, if that.

However, it is a mesh jackket and is not rainproof at all, nto even windproof--taht's what the liner would be for, I guess.

I have the first Gear jaunt t2. Only one I could find in an xl tall, it's a perfect fit for me, about 6'3" and 230 lbs. It's HOT, probably not suitable for anything but several degrees below 0 if you are planning on doing any exercise It's also fairly stiff, but I have only owned it for a few weeks, It may break in.

I use a company called Cold Lizard.http://coldlizard.com They have the best winter ridding gear and will hand make it for you. I ordered one pair of pants ,non-padded, and wear padded shorts under them. I also have the vest. Both work very well for my ride in to work in the colder months. I don't have a EV yet and still peddling 15 miles in to work. I've used these for the last 4 years and no rips or tears. Hold up to washing very well.

living in the bananananana belt of Oregon, my riding apparel remains unchanged all year long...
-a pair of long-legged swimming trunks in various bright colors and a choice of either bright yellow or lime green t-shirts.
I do need to purchase a new bright pink baseball cap, as my current (now less than) bright pink baseball cap has gotten filthy from accumulated sweat and the dirt that clings to it.

Alan B said:
I've been enjoying the AVG Blade helmet that Kingfish recommended.

It has one problem, riding into the sun. Is there a visor for that?
Yes; it's called a "Peak". I think though you have to chose between face shield or visor and not both - but don't quote me. Might also want to use a different shield. Wouldn't it be great to have two: One for night and one for day (as an extra flip-down)?

Into the sunset, KF 8)

i have had those visors fall down at night when riding so do not trust them. i bought some polorized safety glasses and a pair of clear ones depending on if night time or day time. definately need eye protection. bug in the eye can be real dangerous

Kingfish said:
Alan B said:
I've been enjoying the AVG Blade helmet that Kingfish recommended.

It has one problem, riding into the sun. Is there a visor for that?
Yes; it's called a "Peak". I think though you have to chose between face shield or visor and not both - but don't quote me. Might also want to use a different shield. Wouldn't it be great to have two: One for night and one for day (as an extra flip-down)?

Into the sunset, KF 8)

I wear the blade helmet with the same sun visor that goes over top of the clear.

It stays where it's put never had an issue with it falling down and works great when I am riding west in the evening.

I have seen that cold lizard site before and forgot about it. I think I am going to order myself a pair of pants from them.

ohzee said:
<snip>
I wear the blade helmet with the same sun visor that goes over top of the clear.

It stays where it's put never had an issue with it falling down and works great when I am riding west in the evening.
ohzee, that's good to know. I have a pair of perscription sunglasses that I wear during the day (especially in California) so it hasn't been too big of an issue, though knoowing I can have the peak too would do some to cut rain and sun.

Can you tell us which version that you have?

Neat! KF 8)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AGV-Helmet-Blade-Shield-Ext-Sun-Scratch-Resistant-New-/360241844854?pt=Apparel_Merchandise&hash=item53e0165276&vxp=mtr

I bought that one.. honestly I am not sure which it is in the link you sent me , but it works great.

I bought that helmet because of your reference KF and it's been great for me .. i mis placed my neckroll so considering buying another.
Like to have one a bit larger as I only use it in winter anyway.

Also Ranmannm I ordered 200 bux of stuff from the lizard last night.. my wallet blames you.

Subscribed

Well, it’s the dead of winter and I still haven’t bought a replacement jacket. I did use the spray-on Granger’s XT Waterproofer product on both trousers and jacket but we had such a bone-dry December running up to the holidays that it never saw rain. Tomorrow though I’ll know if the treatments work. However I know the long story will be that my gear is retired to summer use and I must find a good replacement.

When visiting the fam over the holiday I went to the CycleGear store which have similar/same brands & models as the Motorcycle Superstore. The Icon jacket wasn’t there, but I did try on the TOUR MASTER Epic Waterproof Textile Motorcycle Jacket: More pockets than you can shake a stick at. Not too heavy; about 3 pounds. This jacket is ¾-length.

The sales guy listened to my story and suggested a better option would be the BILT Spirit Waterproof Textile Motorcycle Jacket, so I tried that one on: The fit was awesome, and unlike the Tour Master above, it is shorter in length; good if you have hi-rise trousers or bibs (like me). For the price (on sale for $129 through January) the quality and structure exceeds my Seattle rain jacket; it is outright twice the weight, but the liner is removable for warmer weather and there are vents along the sleeves and across the breast. My only negative is that there’s not enough hi-vis for my taste, but otherwise it is clearly superior.

2_web1001095_2.jpg

BILT Spirit Waterproof Textile Motorcycle Jacket

Also, I looked carefully at the FREEZE-OUT Base Layer Long Sleeve Top on sale for $25: This seemed like a lighter alternative to a fleece; less bulky but helps cut the wind with or without a liner installed. I had my Bro in tow and he started looking at it for Cross-Country Skiing.

Trousers: I looked passively but there are a couple of options with over-pants. To be honest, the jacket had the priority. Also looked at gloves and figured out I could spend an afternoon checking these out… and thus could wait until I got back home.

The nearest CycleGear to my town is a healthy ride away; the loop will chew up most of my pack. If I hadn’t been fighting this pesky sinus cold I would have gone over the rainless weekend; now I have to wait for another break cos I don’t like riding wet & soaked to the bone.

It still hasn’t dropped snow here. Kinda bummed. Got studs mounted up front and knobbies on the rear. Jeeze it seems if you prepare for disaster it never comes. Not that I am wishing for it. Then again – I can’t wait to try it out!

Keeping warm and dry beside a box of Kleenex, KF

Update: The Granger’s XT Waterproofer worked pretty well today, although it was just midgy-rain & drizzle. First time I've completed a ride in the rain in a year and be completely dry - however as I said, the rain was light. Not wishing for a gully-washer but that would be the true test of success.

Not much else to add; it's only Tuesday and more rain is forecasted - supposed to get worse... so there it is. Ah but my hands were warm & dry and that is something to celebrate. :D

Still waiting for snow.
~KF

Hello, heres my list of commuter clothes. Just like some other commuters here, my outer wear doesn't change during the year; in summer I wear a light tee shirt, and in winter I wear a running shirt from Lululemon ( Turkey Trot 2008).
I've got NorthFace Hyvent Pants with flare bottom and velcro strap for the chain side leg. These are waterproof so far after 6 months of washing every week. I wish they had made the pocket open to the rear rather than the front to keep out the rain; otherwise fantastic pant for $40 from Sport Chek.
I've got a Yellow Hi-Vis GORE Pac-lite Shell cycling jacket; fantastic, cannot beat Gore-Tex, although its a bit spendy at $300. I wish it came with a hood. I just retired my 1990 vintage MEC Gore-Tex Outdoor Shell from cycling because it was dark green; good for skiing but bad for cycling. Bear in mind that Gore-Tex breathes well in dry weather but won't in high humidity ( we have rainy days in Vancouver) :wink: . You can buy GORE on-line if you know your size.
My gloves are Axiom from Cap's Bicycles, fantastic, waterproof until I washed them, then I had to spray on Tent and Awning Fabric Protector. Waterproof again!
My shoes are leather Pumas with tons of SNO-Seal, not quite waterproof but very good all the same.
My Panniers are Axiom with tons of Tent and Awning Fabric Protector. Houses my change of clothes, lunch and 10S2P Battery Pack.
I have found that the feeling of easy movement in the jacket and pant is good. Some Gore-Tex pants are too stiff in the seat and knee.
Anyways, this combination works for me, and for most days, I arrive at work dry and comfortable; yesterdays 30mm of rain while commuting home was the exception!!! :roll:

Kingfish said:
Update: The Granger’s XT Waterproofer worked pretty well today, although it was just midgy-rain & drizzle. First time I've completed a ride in the rain in a year and be completely dry - however as I said, the rain was light. Not wishing for a gully-washer but that would be the true test of success.

Not much else to add; it's only Tuesday and more rain is forecasted - supposed to get worse... so there it is. Ah but my hands were warm & dry and that is something to celebrate. :D

Still waiting for snow.
~KF
Yesterday we had more normal rain, average drop size, and bitterly… no, make that ice-cold bone-chilling rain; in other words – a good test for the Granger’s product. I rode for 7 miles to my appointment and at the end my hands were wet and cold, but I was still dry. The beading ability though was completely gone over the extent of the outerwear. The ride home had reduced rain, but my hands were nearly numb from soaking wetness. I consider the Granger product to be useful for light-duty, possibly even maintenance – however it appears to fail at complete restoration. In conclusion, I’m back on the hunt for replacement gear.

The nearest CycleGear store is about 20 hilly miles away. I think I’ll make a day of it, and in particular – inspect winter glove options.

It would be great if I could incorporate a wind deflector where the gloves me the handlebar but it’s just not practical and there’s not enough room to mount more hardware (although that would be ideal in many respects). The bar-end mirrors and bar-end grips prevent such mountings. But I did notice at the CycleGear store over the holiday that there were “armored” gloves… I’m open to all options, even electrified.

~KF

I can't help much with the gloves but we use neoprene booties over our bike shoes for our feet and they are waterproof and quite warm. However cold to us is 45 degrees F, so your winters are probably much colder. What is this "snow" stuff you speak of? :shock:
otherDoc

docnjoj said:
I can't help much with the gloves but we use neoprene booties over our bike shoes for our feet and they are waterproof and quite warm. However cold to us is 45 degrees F, so your winters are probably much colder. What is this "snow" stuff you speak of? :shock:
otherDoc
Well, snow is another physical state of dihydrogen-oxide that occurs when atmospheric conditions are just right for moisture to precipitate out of the saturated sky and appears in a “frozen” solid condition as individually unique flakes, often accumulating into "drifts". When firmly compacted it resembles ice – which I bet is only seen in your cold drinks. :wink:

I’d wager snow for you is about as rare as sunshine for us! So imagine that Groundhog Day is kinda pointless in Seattle. Actually – any three consecutive days of sunshine in Seattle constitutes as “Summer”... and when that happens everyone plays hooky :mrgreen:

8) KF

chroot said:
@KF- New helmet came out called Diesel, It looked like Jet fighter pilot helmet and it's nice one. http://store.agv.com/c/diesel_hi-jack
Man that Diesel Mowie is really Roger-Retro... almost straight out of "Robinson Crusoe on Mars", and the Hi-Jack reminds me of the old Jet Starfighter helmets. Just add an O2 mask and hose...

Neat, KF 8)

Kingfish said:
It would be great if I could incorporate a wind deflector where the gloves me the handlebar but it’s just not practical and there’s not enough room to mount more hardware (although that would be ideal in many respects). The bar-end mirrors and bar-end grips prevent such mountings.
how about half a plastic 2 liter soda bottle, cut longitudinally, but with the cap thread section left on. Might need a section of coroplast or similar glued into it (or popriveted or similar) as a shapeholder so it doesn't curl up in the middle.

add a simple (recessed?) flat-surfaced hole to the part of your fairing that intersects with the handlebars, angled so that a bottle threaded into that would end up covering the grip and brake handle area from the front. If possible you could mount the bottle cap inside the fairing so all you have to do is thread in the grip covers, but it might require threading the cap onto the bottle while holding them both onto the fairing.

When tight the cap should help capture the bottle against the fairing so it does't flop around in the wind so much. (it probably will do some, unless you fit the bottle up agaist the bars so that it rests against your hands when you're hodling the grips and whatnot).

Just saw this posted for a jacket from motorcycle-superstore.com.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/14/67/906/38476/ITEM/Olympia-Airglide-3-Mesh-Tech-Jacket.aspx

It's for a limited time only.

amberwolf said:
how about half a plastic 2 liter soda bottle…
There’s literally no room to mount it; something would have to go, but there’s just so little room to move with all the gadgets and mirrors and bar-ends. Appreciate the thought though. :)

Winter Bike Trek today
Made the run to CycleGear today in freezing weather; nearly clear day and warm in the sun, but lots of frozen spots in the shade. Studded tires got their first real break-in. It was about a 40-mile trek having 1300-ft total elevation gain with the store about midway; it took an hour to get there and an hour to get back. I made a scenic loop out of it with the first half through urban and the latter through higher rural forest dusted by very light snow. My pack lost about 20% capacity due to the cold. It crossed my mind to add the battery-saddlebags for more capacity but I wanted to see how the 15S6P pack would fair. At the very end I hit LVC climbing my hill; seems like I haven’t hit LVC since 2010. Dropped to the lowest gear and snailed up with a bit of help from the last squeaks of the pack.

Ride20130113.jpg

MapMyRide says this trip was 38.85 miles, but the CAs say it was 40.2 miles. I have no idea what the red segments mean. After Mile-21 it started to get real chilly, and after Mile-24 I was into light snow.

I saw on the CA that is was dropping to 48.??V as it sagged under load, but the pack was at 50.7V. As an experiment, I decided to let the pack warm back up to room temp to see how much it would bounce: After about 2 hours it came up by 2V to 52.7V. Meh; good for another couple of miles.

However today was a good test of riding gear! :) I had the polypropylene long johns on that I normally use for skiing with the REI overpants - and was slightly cool, though not cold. The upper was layered with poly/long-sleeved high turtleneck, woolen long-sleeved shirt, fleece, woolen scarf around the neck, then Seattle Rain Jacket …and I was a bit warm. I decided on ski gloves for this freezing day: ended up fat-fingering my controls, couldn’t use the shifters, and throttling was a challenge.

At CycleGear, once again I reviewed several items I’d seen in California. None of the Icon stuff was in stock. Again I looked at the BILT Spirit Waterproof Textile Motorcycle Jacket and tried it on: The medium was a tight fit; I swear it must be the smallest medium made on the planet and I was almost constricted. But the quality was there and had it not been for the small ratio of hi-viz to black... I would have worn it home.

I didn’t want to take the $400 plunge on the ICON Patrol Waterproof Textile Motorcycle Jacket without seeing it, but evidently no one carries it in stock. I don’t understand it. The sales guy said Icon is popular on the USA-East Coast and it is in stock there, but not in the PNW. Hmph ~ Lame.

I looked at several trousers and thought they were all too heavy for cycling.

Finally, I settled in on an alternative solution that will carry me for another year or two… buy me some time to figure out what my next ride will become (emoto likely), and this is what I bought:

4490_black_1_1.jpg

AlpineStars Apex Drystar Gloves, (M) - $94.95 (same price as http://www.alpinestars.com)

2_web1003344_2.jpg

ICON PDX Rain Motorcycle Jacket, Hi-viz Yellow (M) - $105 (ordered, special delivery)

2_web1003343_2.jpg

ICON PDX Rain Bibs, Hi-viz Yellow (M) - $120

Reasons…
Motorcycle Gloves: My regular bike gloves are worthless in the cold biting rain and my hands go numb. The ski gloves are not practical. I wore the AlpineStars home on the outbound trek through the shaded woodlands as the sun began to set and the temps dropped below 28°F/-2°C: For the most part they kept my fingertips from freezing but they were not as warm as the ski gloves. The AlpineStars are marginally flexible enough for me to use the trigger-shifters; no problems with throttle and brake though. However – once you put these on don’t take them off until you can get to where your hands will dry out: I stopped after about 6 miles to blow my nose (can’t do it right with gloves on) and I struggled to get my moist hands back into the gloves due to the bunching of the liner, particularly the thumb. I am tempted to return them for something else. Before we discard them altogether though for the difficult interior, I would like to share thoughts on the exterior – which was the main reason for purchase: These gloves are armored at the knuckle and again on the metacarpals, and they have a really nice wrist over-wrap that prevents moisture from climbing up the sleeve of the jacket; really fine quality protection and workmanship. Overall the glove is the right idea, although possibly the wrong model for my hands.

Rain Jacket: I have a good jacket now, it's just no longer rain-proof. I can put the Icon over the top of the existing, or I can use it by itself and layer-up underneath. It’s cheaper and lighter than a full-on motorcycle jacket. Incidentally I spoke to the sale guy more about Icon and asked him what do people wear up here in the PNW, and he says 'people wear leathers'. I looked at his favorite and it’s got to be three times heavier than my jacket; I can’t see it being an option for me as long as I’m pedaling.

Rain bibs: Straight-up replacement. The motorcycle trousers are just too bulky for pedaling, although I figure the rain bibs must be lighter and on par with my current REI ones. Again I could layer up or use them as overpants. They’re going to be hi-vis yellow to match the uppers. I should be highly visible even in the deepest dark inky black winter night.

When the rain gear arrives I’ll provide an assessment. :wink:

Oh, one last item: Because I came into the store and ordered, they gave me $20 off the purchase (valid if you spent over $75). I thought that was pretty cool. Tax in Washington State is 9.5% so the entire bill was $328.45 USD. Not a bad haul and less expensive than my REI gear it’s replacing.

Cheers and safe travels, KF

Back