ebike motor, how to identify

mscir

1 mW
We have an eBike with a dead controller. It ran on 36V and the motor has 3 wires.
I found controllers on eBay that have 3 motor control wires, but they have Hall sensor wires as well.
I read that some ebike motors have Hall sensors but not all.
The controller had what looked like a 2009 date code. Is it possible that a motor that old doesn't have Hall sensors and that's why it only has 3 wires?

This is the controller I was considering. If I use it can I simply ignore the Hall sensor wires or are they required for the controller to function correctly?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/36V-500W-19A-9Mosfets-E-Bike-Scooter-Brushless-Hub-Motor-Controller-throttle/153968129763?hash=item23d93736e3:g:1~IAAOSwQ9ldExFE

Here are pictures of the bike, batteries, controller, motor, charge display.
https://postimg.cc/gallery/MqpphfM

Thank you,
Mike

Buy a sensorless controller, I buy mine from China - https://evfittinggreentime.aliexpress.com/store/group/E-bike-Brushless-Controller/313864_211689768.html?spm=a2g0o.store_home.pcShopHead_11248317.1_0

According to your Ebay listing of the controller...

"It is compatible with sensorless and hall sensor motor
This is dual-module controller, can work with both “with hall" and without hall" brushless motor. If you motor without hall, just let “hall" connector empty is ok"

A dual type controller according to this, so as far as having a motor with no hall sensors. Yes you can use it.

Regards,
T.C.

It sounded too good to be true but we'll give it a try.
What wattage should we go with minimum?
Do you think 500W is enough?
Thanks!

ebikekit front hub motor with a fancy dancy torque arm (looks like a grintech t.a.)

I'd say go with 1000W 36V 30A if your batteries can handle that.
500W is just not enough.

markz said:
ebikekit front hub motor with a fancy dancy torque arm (looks like a grintech t.a.)

I'd say go with 1000W 36V 30A if your batteries can handle that.
500W is just not enough.

If you've never ridden a trike, you probably don't know that 15 mph is about as fast as they want to go without trying to murder you. If that ebikekit motor will top out at 15 or less, then no problem. But if more power means higher speed, then that's no good.

Maybe dogman dan has wisdom to offer here.

Is it true that a 500W controller would run hot if someone used 100% of the throttle on it for any length of time, risking damaging it from overheating? I thought getting a higher Watt rating than would normally be used would allow the controller to loaf most of its life and run cool. Is that logic right?

True, I would say 20mph but yes I havent ridden a trike except one small test drive, fat trike store bought, really top heavy. Its nice to have extra power to climb hills, especially if your carrying heavy cargo like groceries.

Yup, a heavy person with a couple bags of groceries going up a hill might benefit from that extra bit of power.
Do you guys think 500W is sufficient for that? Should we go to 750W or 1000W?

SOLVED:

ebikekit replied it's 500W

So we need 36V 500W+ sensorless brushless 3 wire DC controller.

Thanks to everyone who replied!

mscir said:
Yup, a heavy person with a couple bags of groceries going up a hill might benefit from that extra bit of power.
Do you guys think 500W is sufficient for that? Should we go to 750W or 1000W?

Problem SOLVED

the answer Alex Trebec is what is 1000W Alex!

Hillhater said:
Yes, but if you want 750W-1kW occasionally, get the 1000W controller. The motor will handle it.

If I can find one I will definitely recommend it to the owner. A 200lb person with a few baqs of groceries going up hill would surely appreciate it. It's sometimes difficult seeing exactly what the Alibaba sellers are offering.

If you can recommend a 1kW 36V brushless sensorless controller with throttle and display (no PAS, regen braking, lights etc) I would love to hear about it.

Thanks!
Mike

markz said:
How many amps do you want

:mrgreen:

mscir said:
36V brushless sensorless controller with throttle and display (no PAS, regen braking, lights etc) I would love to hear about it.

Thanks!
Mike

1kW if possible, 500W minimum. it had pretty good torque before with 500W

Back