Ebike Not Turning On and Off Properly

NinjaKitten

100 µW
Video Of What's Going On - ebike video.mp4

So I'm in the middle of fixing my ebike at the moment. Battery had been disconnected for months now. But when I went to plug in my battery, I noticed that the screen turned on by itself which last time I rode it months ago, I believe normally doesn't happen.

So I turned it off like normal, but when I went to go turn it back on - nothing. Or at least I thought it wasn't turning back on. Until I got video when I noticed in the light that the screen was VERY dim after it first turned on.

The only way it's turning on properly now is if I unplug the battery and either let it sit for a minute, or hold the power button to drain any residual power.

I had a crash months ago, and the power button does have some scratches. But other than that, it looks fine, the buttons seem okay too, and so does the screen, at least at first.

It'll turn off but the screen stays very dim and keeps flashing some of the icons when you press and hold the power button.

Any ideas what this issue could be? I don't know if it's the screen/button or if maybe there's something up with the controller?

Throttle worked fine, brake indicators popped up fine, and it switches power modes just fine as well.

This is the kit I'm currently using: Amazon.com

Thanks.

Solution

200w.gif

THE SOLUTION / FIX:

So I contacted support, and they did confirm I needed a new screen.

I bought the TFT-UKC1 Color Display from Amazon. You have to make sure you get the correct version though, to match the protocol of your kit. For mines it was the OMD2/OMD version.

There's some for cheap on Aliexpress, but I found one on Amazon for pretty much the same price as Aliexpress with Express shipping. But instead of 1-2 weeks, it'd be 2 day shipping lol. Support was offering to sell me one, and they were kind enough to tell me which version I needed...
Buy a generic sensorless/sensored controller without a display.........if you dare go displayless. Everyones a maximalist instead of a minimalist. No more problems or error codes to worry about, no extra wires to potentially get damaged, no Extra cheesy ass connectors to fail. But if you want a big screen to stare at while riding then a matched pair controller and display kit would need to be ordered. Suuuure you can save a bit but it might end up costing you more if that display dont match your controller, more wait time for shipment to arrive, more wait time to fix the issue, all means less time riding and having fun.

Buy a generic sensorless/sensored controller without a display.........if you dare go displayless. Everyones a maximalist instead of a minimalist. No more problems or error codes to worry about, no extra wires to potentially get damaged, no Extra cheesy ass connectors to fail. But if you want a big screen to stare at while riding then a matched pair controller and display kit would need to be ordered. Suuuure you can save a bit but it might end up costing you more if that display dont match your controller, more wait time for shipment to arrive, more wait time to fix the issue, all means less time riding and having fun.

That's true and I feel that, but I'd much rather have a display so I can see my speed, batt level, and be able to control the amount of power that the motor outputs. This bike of mines is pretty fast and powerful. 3000w 72v hub motor, and no display/power control means I can easily pull wheelies when trying to take off lol.

UPDATE - For anyone that finds this and has a similar issue with the same kit....
I was talking to support on WhatsApp.

Charged my battery to 100% and still nothing.

They advised me to short (or more accurately, bridge) the orange and red wires on the connector for the display to bypass it and see if the controller works okay. Which I did, then accidently connected the red and black wire. Sparked off the tip of the black pin. But theres still enough for the display to connect. Pics -
So I would advise anyone reading this to put some heat shrink tubing over the prong for the black and green connector to insulate it. You can then take some small wire, fold it into a hook, so its wider, and tin it with solder.

If you stick that on top of the pins in the smaller area that should be wide and stiff enough to hold and make contact with them.

This kit is for the NBPower 72v 3000watt motor from Amazon for a 26 inch bike. (Keywords for if anyone else finds this).

They said that if the controller and all else works fine when you did this then it's a display issue. So I'm going to find another one and buy it. Cheapest display I found was on Aliexpress. They don't seem like they're matched or paired. Just a display that has the same connectors that should work with the same type of generic controller they use in the kits.

MODEL - TFT-UKC1 Color Display

200w.gif

THE SOLUTION / FIX:

So I contacted support, and they did confirm I needed a new screen.

I bought the TFT-UKC1 Color Display from Amazon. You have to make sure you get the correct version though, to match the protocol of your kit. For mines it was the OMD2/OMD version.

There's some for cheap on Aliexpress, but I found one on Amazon for pretty much the same price as Aliexpress with Express shipping. But instead of 1-2 weeks, it'd be 2 day shipping lol. Support was offering to sell me one, and they were kind enough to tell me which version I needed. too.

I plugged in my battery after connecting the screen, it didnt automatically turn on, which was a good sign. The power button, menu button, and motor +/- buttons worked fine too.

SO! For Anyone having the same problem:

NBPower 72v 3000w Hub Motor Kit from Amazon for the 26 inch bike (or any size wheel really)

The Display From Amazon that worked for me - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CF5GLSRB?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

Make sure you get the OMD2/OMD Version. You can find them on Aliexpress for cheaper too if you don't need it faster.

Solution
Yea you were lucky they told you which display model and version to get. As you found out, there is not much interchangeability between controllers and displays. EVEN IF the connectors and/or wire colors seem to match up.

Yea you were lucky they told you which display model and version to get. As you found out, there is not much interchangeability between controllers and displays. EVEN IF the connectors and/or wire colors seem to match up.
I feel that. But I also noticed on my old display, it had some numbers on the back, presumably model numbers. And on there it said "OMD". So I prolly could of just matched it up had I saw that first lol.

Back