Help Needed on KT Controller/Display Diagnosis

Clrwater

1 µW
I have a KT Controller exhibiting a strange mode. When I turn on the battery - instead of getting a blank screen until I click and hold the center button - it immediately lights up the control. The throttle and motor work fine but it's stuck in Assist Level 5. The buttons don't respond like they are supposed to. The top and bottom buttons do the same thing now - which is to cycle between the various display options - the center button does nothing - though sometimes shuts off the display immediately upon pushing (not with a 3 sec hold). But when pressed again the center button does not turn on the display (no matter how long it is pressed). Trying to push the top and bottom button for a reset does nothing.

Questions: Does this sound like a controller or display/button issue? Or is it a controller issue? Sounds like a firmware issue no? But I can't reset. I don't mind ordering a new controller but don't want to if it's a controller issue. or vice versa.

Yes it was working perfectly. The bike did get a little wet before this happened but not sure that's a correlation.

Probably water intrusion into the display / button controls. You can open it up to verify that.

It could also be water in the display / controller connector or cable, or even in the actual controller itself. (but the latter usually causes it not to operate at all, or badly).

None of this stuff is waterproof, regardless of seller / etc claims. At best it's water resistant, and usually not even that. Some of it fails when it's just been humid weather for too long. :roll:

If you have to replace the display, make sure you get the *identical* display with the same firmware; if it's different it may not work with your controller, or not behave as it used to (or have different sets of settings available that don't let you do what you want with it).

Questions: Does this sound like a controller or display/button issue? Or is it a controller issue? Sounds like a firmware issue no? But I can't reset. I don't mind ordering a new controller but don't want to if it's a controller issue. or vice versa.
FWIW, if it is a controller issue (damaged, etc) then not wanting to replace the controller to fix it means you'd have to diagnose and repair the controller yourself, or have someone else repair it. That's likely to take more time and probably much more money than just replacing the controller.

If you do have to replace the controller, the same recommendation for identicalness applies to it as the display.

Last edited:
Probably water intrusion into the display / button controls. You can open it up to verify that.

It could also be water in the display / controller connector or cable, or even in the actual controller itself. (but the latter usually causes it not to operate at all, or badly).

None of this stuff is waterproof, regardless of seller / etc claims. At best it's water resistant, and usually not even that. Some of it fails when it's just been humid weather for too long. :roll:

If you have to replace the display, make sure you get the *identical* display with the same firmware; if it's different it may not work with your controller, or not behave as it used to (or have different sets of settings available that don't let you do what you want with it).

FWIW, if it is a controller issue (damaged, etc) then not wanting to replace the controller to fix it means you'd have to diagnose and repair the controller yourself, or have someone else repair it. That's likely to take more time and probably much more money than just replacing the controller.

If you do have to replace the controller, the same recommendation for identicalness applies to it as the display.
Thank you amberwold for your time and attention to this! I appreciate it.

So I opened up the controller and the display and no sign of moisture in either - perfectly dry and clean - no corrosion - not burnt smell. Looks brand new inside. I left them in a warm place overnight - no change in the morning when I reassembled. I took the bike on a nice long ride - worked fine stuck in Level 5 - though it did shut down a few times. Cycled the battery On/Off button and it came right back on same stuck in Level 5 mode and no button controls.

I do remember though when I unplugged the display plug (this first happened when I relocated my battery) that there was some rain drops present when I unplugged - I'm wondering if that might have been enough to send a short that tweaked some programming or firmware perhaps?. Are there no deeper tricks then just top and bottom button push to reset? I've tried numerous sequences of turning battery on - off while holding down various combinations of buttons - nothing worked except one small change from being stuck in level 4 to now being stuck in level 5. I've tried since and haven't been able to reproduce that change.

At any rate might it be wise to just replace it all? New controller, display and button? - any suggestions on the best replacement? I have a 500 Watt Hub motor - 48 V system - 12 AH LiPoly battery on a Catrike Dumont. What might it run me? Thanks again for your time.

Since the buttons aren't working to turn it on or change levels, they aren't going to work to cause any other function either.

If there was no moisture or damage to the buttons / switches themselves, including inside them, then the most likely thing is that water inside the display/controller connector shorted the battery voltage that's on two wires inside it, to the 5v-level data lines inside that let the display and controller talk to each other.

That still doesn't account for it turning itself on automatically--that would be caused by a stuck or shorted power button. (which might prevent any other button from working until it's released).

As for best replacement, that depends on your specific needs and how you want the system to work.

If it already does everything you want it to in the way you want it to, I'd just get the exact same stuff --it's probably just the display / button unit, so you could try that first to save a bit of money and time changing parts out--but if you want to just do the whole thing at once just get the same controller/display as a set.

If there's anything you'd like the system to do that it doesn't now (or anything it does now you don't like), then specifying these, along with any other specific needs / requirements, may help us help you find a solution.

Back