Ebike shop fire, New York, June 2023, 4 dead

There have been fires before, almost all of them the result of cheap generic battery packs with cheap generic BMS's, and cheap generic chargers. I don't know what caused this one, at the "HQ Ebike Repair", on Madison St in Chinatown.

What makes this fire noteworthy is that four people died, and it is in New York, so this will definitely be in the national news.

View attachment 335481
Yeah bro I had my scooter catch battery fire bcuz of cheap ass LG purple 18650 do not use they have a default when I would charge them separately that would all reach SOC but the purple 18650 would get to 4.19 an stay there & i had to get rid of my scooter which still worked but if I wouldn't have been there the whole building would of caught fire , but thanx 2 jehu Garcia saying "Never leave a battery charging & unattended even for more then a min " bcuz that really discouraged me from keep e+bike building but it was crazy like fireworks 1 after another kept exploting in my face as I dragged the scooter out while getting rickosheid with copper windings even the wrong fire extinguisher couldn't put it out wasted 5 of them but luckily I was there got the scooter into the hallway so it could finish blowing up then I kicked the battery out of the scooter B4 the fire department arrived i had everything under control already ..... But that didn't stop me U KNOW WHY BCUZ YEAH PEOPLE MIGHT DIE FROM BATTERY FIRES BUT MORE PEOPLE DIE FROM CAR ACCIDENTS BUT THAT DOESN'T STOP PEOPLE FROM DRIVING RIGHT.

I think I got the boot cuz I stuck out like a sore thumb. I was not the typical clientele.

I walked in and the place was crowded (wall of batteries and other piles of bikes and parts, not a "shop" for sure). Two guys (delivery workers?) looked briefly up at me then went back to their phones. I started talking to a third guy about who I was, he didn't understand me. At that moment, a forth guy walked in pushing a bike who stopped, looked at me, turned to the third guy and they exchanged a few brief phrases (that I didn't understand). I turned to guy #4 and started to explain myself and he waved me out the door.

This had the appearance of an operation at the economic margin.

I have batteries on a wheeled cart near the (attached) garage door but I'm moving all of 'em outside to some sort of container. Still thinking about what that should be.
Bro if u buy the right expensive Daly BMS u can monitor all ur cells for excessive heat & u can turn off power right from the app

I would suggest that LFP batteries are getting so cheap that it's not worth the additional work/risk to use secondhand batteries unless you know exactly what you're doing. They are now well under $300/kwhr.
Yeah bro u must test each battery 1 by 1 making sure the 2nd hand battery s reach full SOC state-of-charge and all batteries will reach it with 4.08/4.10/4.12/4.14/4.16/4.18/4.20 if ur making a power wall all batteries make sure they can hold charge bcuz just 1 of them can ruin the whole wall

Back