Electric FF Build?

SaabGuy

100 mW
Started conceptualizing a feet forward (FF) electric motorcycle.
Priorities are
1. Efficiency
2. Power
3. Comfort?

I'm doing everything I can to keep the height low and the wheel base short (currently 72"). That means the seat is mounted to the lower frame pan, hub centric steering, creative swing arm design.

rev 1.png

Check out Robert Horn builds.

I’d have the legs around the front wheel with a regular headtube front end. Hub centric steering may be compact but it’s not as rigid.

Interesting ...
I'd like to share some concept sketches for a bike I never got around to building.
Thinking in terms of use in traffic, the seat height is the same as a heavy weight cruiser (think Harley etc.)
For the purpose of a crush zone the riders feet are behind the front wheel.
17" wheels.
The design is based on my previous experience designing, fabricating, riding, racing --- streamlined recumbent bicycles.
Wishing you the best results with your build.
Screen Shot 2022-09-19 at 5.26.07 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-09-19 at 5.32.54 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-09-19 at 5.35.55 PM.png
Watsonville 1989 600dpi.jpg

Tony01, thanks for the Robert Horn mention. That was a very fun read. Going to have to disagree with your telescopic forks for front suspension recommendation, though. A FF has no reason to build load bearing structure up that high just for forks. Goal is to link front wheel to the rear wheel in a straight line.
Forks are also basically a giant lever; so, they flex, the bushings stick, and the geometry changes during breaking. Properly design HCS will be very rigid.

PaPaSteve, looks like we both have a lot of work to do. I would recommend reading https://www.bikeweb.com/index.php?q=node/246

SaabGuy said:
Tony01, thanks for the Robert Horn mention. That was a very fun read. Going to have to disagree with your telescopic forks for front suspension recommendation, though. A FF has no reason to build load bearing structure up that high just for forks. Goal is to link front wheel to the rear wheel in a straight line.
Forks are also basically a giant lever; so, they flex, the bushings stick, and the geometry changes during breaking. Properly design HCS will be very rigid.

PaPaSteve, looks like we both have a lot of work to do. I would recommend reading https://www.bikeweb.com/index.php?q=node/246

Thanks ... been at the Feet First thing for quite a while so I do know a bit about Royce Creasey, FF Web and Robert Horn too.
Have plenty of mileage touring and fifty race wins with such devices.
Total accept they have substantial energy efficiency gains and can be used as a commuter.
Still ride feet forward often.
Now residing on the edge of a vast open space forest so have turned towards more dual sport stuff.
Currently converting an 06 KTM 950 Adventure into an electric and also tinkering with a Segway 260.

Al the best with your project.

Back