Electric Paramotor for Dirtbike build

ProtoFTW

1 mW
Hi guys, i'm building a 2001 YZ 250 and i'm looking for a brushless motor with a consistent output of around 15kw and a peak of somewhere around 40. I've been looking every where for motors and was wondering what do you look for with a brushless motor?

I usually look at the voltage, torque and weight, that's all I really know to look for. But I was wondering if a Paramotor would work for my build, I can't seem to find a good price on a brushless motor specifically for a dirt bike. If I did use the paramotor I would need some kind of adapter for the sprocket because these are made to hook to a propeller, any ideas?

aircraft motor runs at extreme rpm.. and with massive airflow.. so how would you add those elements to your dirt bike?? to use these motors would need massive reduction gearing and an active cooling system.. probably better to use a motor designed for motorcycle.. search continues..

efMX Trials Electric Freeride said:
aircraft motor runs at extreme rpm.. and with massive airflow.. so how would you add those elements to your dirt bike?? to use these motors would need massive reduction gearing and an active cooling system.. probably better to use a motor designed for motorcycle.. search continues..

I'm talking about these kind of motors:
https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/50KW-H154120-55KV-brushless-motor-for_60833678722.html?spm=a2700.galleryofferlist.0.0.25de1055mJFILD

They literally look identical to the other brushless motors i've been looking at except for where the prop mounts.

how does the rpm kV compare?? and cooling?? that's a drone motor so unless your building a flying motorcycle it's not likely to work well given the vastly different application.. an on ground vehicle with different load, gearing, and airflow conditions..

efMX Trials Electric Freeride said:
how does the rpm kV compare?? and cooling?? that's a drone motor so unless your building a flying motorcycle it's not likely to work well given the vastly different application.. an on ground vehicle with different load, gearing, and airflow conditions..

Ok thanks for the heads up. I messaged one of the sellers on there and they said it would work lol, thats why I was asking what to look for in brushless motors because I have no idea, I just look at weight, torque, etc.

depends what they mean by "work".. probably just wants your money.. would be an expensive experiment to find out how well for your application and conditions.. ask seller for video and other testing data of said motor utilized on a motorcycle.. probably no such thing..

Why not look for motors that are actually used on electric motorcycles? Zero motorcycles has that 75-7 and 75-5 motor.
Seems there are some Alta's being stripped now and then, maybe grab motor and controller from one of those?

Then there is QS motor, their new mid drive motor 130 h something. Paired with the right controller that might be all what you need. People run 20 + kw output from that motor reliable. Sold as a 3kw motor ;)

One thing to remember is that even if the dirt bike had for the that time a rather hefty 2 stroke engine you don't need to match the new electric motor hp for hp. Because riding electric dirt bike, when you crack full throttle, you get all torque all the time when riding electric. so within seconds you are riding so fast you need to let off the throttle, depending on the track of course.

I think all 3 of these motors will work. QS motor has a motor with even higher peak power coming out this spring.....

macribs said:
Why not look for motors that are actually used on electric motorcycles? Zero motorcycles has that 75-7 and 75-5 motor.
Seems there are some Alta's being stripped now and then, maybe grab motor and controller from one of those?

Then there is QS motor, their new mid drive motor 130 h something. Paired with the right controller that might be all what you need. People run 20 + kw output from that motor reliable. Sold as a 3kw motor ;)

One thing to remember is that even if the dirt bike had for the that time a rather hefty 2 stroke engine you don't need to match the new electric motor hp for hp. Because riding electric dirt bike, when you crack full throttle, you get all torque all the time when riding electric. so within seconds you are riding so fast you need to let off the throttle, depending on the track of course.

I think all 3 of these motors will work. QS motor has a motor with even higher peak power coming out this spring.....

I think the zero motors are pretty much impossible to find, at least I haven't had any luck, but maybe I'm not checking the right places, same with Alta
I had a Qs motor 138 ordered, but after doing research I didn't think it would be enough power, so I cancelled it. But I did find a Qsmotor 171
https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/QSMOTOR-8000W-171-100H-electric-bike_60146465304.html?spm=a2700.galleryofferlist.0.0.613b4a56FcJvd7

Good to know, I was just trying to keep it similiar with the Alta's motor specs, since it's a YZ 250 i'm building and I don't want something sluggish

Someone gave away a 2016 zero motor for the cost of shipping on the fb group the other day.

Where you look for motors depends on your budget.

What to look for in a motor:

1, figure out how much power you want because that is what will determine how fast and quick the bike will be.

2, simplest setup will be direct drive with the only reduction being the final chain drive. So you want a physically larger motor that tends toward more torque and less RPM to make the rated power.

3, temperature sensor to make sure you don't overheat unless you pick a motor oversized for your application

flat tire said:
Someone gave away a 2016 zero motor for the cost of shipping on the fb group the other day.

Where you look for motors depends on your budget.

What to look for in a motor:

1, figure out how much power you want because that is what will determine how fast and quick the bike will be.

2, simplest setup will be direct drive with the only reduction being the final chain drive. So you want a physically larger motor that tends toward more torque and less RPM to make the rated power.

3, temperature sensor to make sure you don't overheat unless you pick a motor oversized for your application

Which fb group are you in? I’ve checked marketplace but never checked any groups.

Thank you for all the advice very very helpful

I like these fb group forums as well;)

Electric Motorcycle Builds :
https://www.facebook.com/groups/electricmotorcyclebuilds/

Silent Enduro :
https://www.facebook.com/SilentEnduro/

Back