electric skateboard build need help

electricboard1

100 µW
ok a few questions:
I am building an electric skateboard which will have a 800w brushed motor and will be 36v (3x 12v 7ah sla batterys) I want to use an rc car transmitter for the throttle control as it would be wireless. Will this be possible?

Will i need to wire in some sort of resistor to reduce the voltage from 36v down to 5v to power the receiver?.
( as most radio control car receivers only need about 5v to power them. I just wanted one charging point to charge the whole board overnight thats why i didn't want to use a seperate smaller battery pack for the receiver.)

Will a rc car transmitter and receiver be able to control an 800w 36v motor? (through an electric scooter 36v speed controller)

Ideally i wanted to use a nintendo wii nunchuck wireless bluetooth controller but this seems alot of work and is a bit over my head. unless anyone knows of a simple way of doing it.

any help would be great cheers

Honestly i think your best approach would be sticking with 'RC' gear throughout, forget the brushed motor, gotto
hobby king and buy a suitable out runner along with a esc then you can hook your transmitter up no probs, will plug straight in
Soz a bit early in morning for me right now but there are a few examples of 'skate boards' with these type setups on the forum do search you should find them.

Best of luck..

KiM

yeah i did alot of reading on brushless rc stuff but seems alot easier for me to use the bigger 800w motor which comes with the correct drive cog attatched and no need to be messing around with gearboxes ect.Motor and controller is not a problem i just want to make the controller wireless.

Okedokie...well it would be simple enough to do...the approach a dumby like myself would take is a "mechanical" one. What i would do is take the throttle, lop 3/4 of it off then mount it on a a flat plate, fastena 'lever' to the end of the throttle then take your servo mount that next to the throttle, connect the servo to the throttle via link, you could use simple RC linkages for this even, im sure there is some u-beaut 'electrical' solution to do the same but would be beyond me.

again best of luck

KiM

electricboard1 said:
yeah i did alot of reading on brushless rc stuff but seems alot easier for me to use the bigger 800w motor which comes with the correct drive cog attatched and no need to be messing around with gearboxes ect.Motor and controller is not a problem i just want to make the controller wireless.

hi eboard1,

i don't know squat about electric stuff, but i am a long time skater.
been also thinking about making an eskateboard..
are you planning a single wheel drive on a mountainboard?

here's a company that uses the wii nunchuck
http://www.metro-board.com/motorized_powerboard_electric_skateboard_specifications.htm#NEW_WII_REMOTE

here's my wackyboard blog,
the eboard section
http://wackyboards.blogspot.com/search/label/motorized%20electric%20boards

yeah thats where i got the idea for the wii remote would like to do that ideally. I have already built a petrol 43cc 3 wheel longboard which works very well, single 4'' wheel at the back and longboard trucks and wheels up front. I wanted to make an electric version to match. the advantage with three wheel is there is no speed wobble (a bit like a bike) ive had a few 4 wheel standard petrol mountainboards which had bad wobble at speed. The one i built doesn't. However it doesn't turn as tight as with four trucks but i only use it for long cruises not tight turns and it gets me round all roads and roundabouts good enough.

does anyone know about wiring the rc car receiver in with the 3 12v batterys if i was to use a servo to operate the throttle, I still only want to use one charger to charge the whole thing.

also i would like an electric brake on the rc car transmitter (by pushing the trigger lever forward) how can i do this? I know you can buy controllers with regenerative braking is this what i'd need to get, or do all electric scooter controllers have a brake?

If you use the method i described in my second post you could have braking also. Regenerative braking on e-bike controllers works when you release the throttle i think it also adjustable controller side as to how much regenerative braking is applied at specific lowside throttle points (someone will correct me if im wrong about that no doubt)

re: wiring batteries- You cant wire the batteries into a receiver doesnt work like that, in rc models the batteries are wired into the ESC not the receiver.

KiM

what i meant was:
how do i wire an rc receiver to a scooter controller as an electric scooter controller like this (copy paste link) doesn't have specific receiver inputs(plug/wires)?:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Electric-E-Scooter-Bike-Parts-Motor-Controller-36V-250W-/220661663527?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item336075c727

if i was to somehow wire the receiver into the controller the 36v powering the controller would fry my receiver wouldn't it.

I know how to wire up an rc receiver to an rc speed control as they have corrisponding wires and just 5v input for the receiver ect. The controller shown in the link is similar to the one i want to use (apart from the wattage) can an rc receiver plug into the 5v throttle wires on the controller? if so how as there are three wires for the throttle and the rc receiver only has two?

electricboard1 said:
what i meant was:
how do i wire an rc receiver to a scooter controller as an electric scooter controller

Be extremely surprised if anyones even tried it, definitely would be above the average person with no electronics backgrounds capabilities i think. Case of if you have to ask...... Why not just do a mechanical hook up as i suggested? seen it done few times works extremely well and is dead simple to do, even thought about doing it myself so i could use a good quality motorcycle throttle, You dont even need to get a full ebike throttle, just buy a 5k pot from Jaycar, put a servo 'horn' on it and hook it too a servo using rc type linkages as per used on rc plans and choppers how much simpler can you get, pop the lot in a plastic project box also available from JayCar and mount it up call it done...If you used the small servos the whole thing wouldn't be alot bigger than a matchbox.

KiM

EVTodd used a small-cheap plastic case that is designed to hold 4 AAA batteries, and put in 4 rechargable NiMH's, so the volts were around 5V? (IIRC). The amps drawn to power the throttle controls are fairly small, so such a set-up as this 'should' last a fairly long time before needing any recharging. Regardless of how long it lasts, using that would simplifiy one aspect of your set-up.

Ive seen one powered skateboard that kept the banking two front wheels and truck. One the rear, he removed the original truck and wheels, then installed a single fat 6" pneumatic tire with a chain-drive and a disc brake. It was the type that comes on 24V electric Razor scooters. It looked like it would work well...

edit: found it at ebikes.ca projects page. This is how I'd want to do it, but with a long-board and wider wheels on front:

powerboard_tn.jpg

Back