EM150SP & QS Mid Drive Motor Issue

Thanks for the interest in my issue everyone! I gather my controller can't be upgraded with a simple firmware file?

This issue has happened in Low Speed mode, but my default is 2 and I go between 2 and 3. As you suggested I'll set Low to 100% and ride around in it for a while to see if the issue is there.

I've made friends with another NKD rider and plan to meetup and compare configs. Interesting other riders with the larger 200 controller report similar issues!

AFAIK field weakening is disabled in “low speed”, so you can set default to “low” and disable any ports that you use for speed mode switching.

So I set LOW to 100 for both fields and rode to work in it, it hummed along nicely and I don't think I felt any millisecond drops. Knowing this, and any suggestion? Is it likely the field weakening settings causing issues (and being masked by tweaking the Rate or Rise and Decline?)

How determined are you to get to the bottom of this?

Field weakening and throttle timing don’t cause these issues per se. Votol’s implementation of them certainly could, but the reason for that is still a complete unknown.

It’s early days. You can pretty safely rule out BMS and throttle as causes, but narrowing it down further requires controlled testing.

Generally when you’ve achieved a stable software configuration you should leave it the hell alone unless you have a compelling reason to change it. But, with systems where it’s quick and easy to trial different configs, as with Votols, it’s harmless to experiment.

First step would be to try to quickly reenact the power drop in your garage, with the live GUI running to see if the glitch can be heard as audible motor pitch changes, or visualised as temporary rpm or current reductions. This might involve having to load the motor*.

Assuming the glitches can be witnessed, with Low power level set to 100, and absolutely everything else disabled, you need to run through rise and fall and field weakening permutations, in reasonably small increments, to find the ranges within which the aberrant controller behaviour can be perceived.

Be sure to reboot the controller after each configuration save and inspect the relevant setting that you altered to ensure they were rewritten.

*If you can’t replicate power drops without load, that’ll mean having to implement a controlled load, which will only be practical to do with braking power, meaning slow testing due to having to cool the brakes and top up the battery (to keep a consistent voltage).

Back