eMax-ebikes BBS01 350w Ping 36v10ah vs Dillinger 250w front

4,000 kms now on the bbs01. Just changed the original chain ring to an alivio with the same 48T and greased the gears as per recommendation here. Bike now pretty much silent. Ordered new brakes-clarks m2 180 fr 160 rear for 72 Aussie pesos delivered from crc to replace the avid juicy 3s. I'll let you know how they go.

Been seeing some more old giant reigns for sale and can recommend them as an option for the bbs.

Hi Tats,
Thanks for the updates. I like the expression "plush" and "Chesterfield" to describe the ride.

4000km and all is well. Good to hear.

Here's to another fuss-free 10000km!

The Clarks M2 brakes are a great upgrade to my original 2007ish juicy three set up - and for the money unbelievable value. 72 AUD gets you 2 discs/rotors, fully bled front & rear levers callipers hoses, pads and all the bolts delivered. I've also put up a couple of pics of the original chainring.

Attachments

• IMG_2875.JPG
    IMG_2875.JPG
    73.9 KB · Views: 4,341
  • IMG_2863.JPG
    IMG_2863.JPG
    33.4 KB · Views: 4,341
  • IMG_2876.JPG
    IMG_2876.JPG
    50.8 KB · Views: 4,341
  • IMG_2861.JPG
    IMG_2861.JPG
    35.9 KB · Views: 4,341
Added the Luna dpc colour display - nice bling, much better than the standard one.

Also chatted to a gazelle (Bosch comfort motor) with the badass dongle tonight. Running 18A through the bbs01 and there was nothing between his bike and mine. Although I suspect he may have a more economical and slightly more torquey motor.

New battery has arrived - the ping is great, but the 10aH means I have to charge when I'm at work - so I've gone for a bigger pack.

The pack was made by Paul (cellman) from EM3ev and looks excellent build quality. It is a 10s9p Samsung 32E pack with something like 28.35aH and is around 1.4-1.5kg heavier than my Ping. I gave Paul the sizes I had to work with (max 230x180x95mm) to fit in my Topeak MTX DX trunk bag. It is in fact 205x175x78 and fits a treat, still leaving me plenty of room for my work clothes. I brought the pack home with me and weighed the trunk bag with both batteries in it - 9.6kg - and was very cautious as the beam rack is only rated for 9. While the bike felt heavier the rack had no problems so guess the additional bracing is doing its job. Certainly there is no movement, deformation or cracking evident but I keep my eye on it anyways.

The plan with this pack is to charge to less than 80% and charge in the evening rather than having to charge at both ends of the ride. I'll post impressions when it's mounted and in use.

View attachment 4
IMG_3155.JPG
IMG_3152.JPG
IMG_3157.JPG

And here is the new display
FullSizeRender.jpg

Cycle Satiator arrived - what a nice bit of kit that is! So nice to charge in complete silence quickly - 8A vs noisy Kingpan 2.5A.

Battery going great, having the extra capacity makes things so much easier. Used nearly 600Wh today on my 39km round trip commute. 1hr 48m later I've put 550Wh back into the battery and am nearly back at my 80% 4.05v charge level. Delighted with that.

Now I'm a bit more experienced I know that the investment in the largest possible battery discharged and charged correctly has the biggest pay-off. These newer 18650 cells are a massive improvement in capacity/power to weight ratio - the 32E is perfect for my needs, couldn't get a 35E but don't think it'd be that much benefit for my use though. May have got away with an 8P rather than 9P and the corresponding weight/size reduction but for how much cost difference?

No problems at all - rear derailleur is a bit sticky tho caused by dodgy cable. Got a 25a 500w controller coming too.

Scratch that about the drivetrain - just had a look at the front chainring. Not good, very worn for very few miles...anyone got any recommendations on tough chainring to match with a 9-Spd dura-ace chain?

Just fitted the new controller from Paul at em3ev -> http://em3ev.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=49_46&product_id=173

Now instead of 10.5A pedal assist and 18.5A throttle I've got 15A and 25A - only tried up the hill in my street but certainly requires less effort, and zero cogging. Good opportunity to regrease and inspect. Can't detect any wear here.

If you've got a 350w controller I recommend you think seriously about getting one of Pauls' 500w ones.

Took it very easy this am as the roads were wet - but a big (improved) difference in climbing, sharper throttle response, a lot smoother, feels like a bit more torque and same if not a little bit less wh used.

Its always good to have a spare on hand too.

Hi Tats,
Front chainring?
I've gone back to the 52 tooth Bafang anchor. It's heavy but it's wearing well.
Once it's expired I'll likely go back to the Shimano steel 52 tooth with the adapter from e-max.

Good to hear your 500w controller is grunty.

Yup front 48t shimano is soft-looks like I'll probably go lekkie 46t or back to stock bafang. I've got the 104 bcd from Ewan and it's pretty good. For cassette there's a shimano steel one and I may go dura ace loose rings for the 3 smallest.

FYI, the 11-17-28 rear with eight speed spacing and Altus derailleur still provides all the gearing that I need and is wearing well possibly since the chainline is straight (17 tooth in middle so only one shift to either side); eight speed chain wearing well (maybe enhanced by being wider). SRAM is coming out with an 8-speed cassette with 11-48 gearing and a stronger chain. I'll procure the chain when it's available.

Thanks 2old - my alivio chainring has only done around 1,700 kms and it's not looking pretty. Definitely can't cope with the wear.

I have a spare new 9-spd duraace chain that came with the bike so I'll stick that on with another alivio again I have as a spare. I'm interested in the new sram ebike chainset but its seriously over-priced so will be scouring the forum for recommendations - I'll keep the altus idea in mind.

If anyone would like to comment on the lekkie bling-ring I'd appreciate any thoughts.

1st problem with bike...rear derailleur hanger broke.

Chain started skipping in 8th 12t cog and was stretched and chainring was buggered- so changed chain and chainring and still skipping. Looked down and saw rd wasn't aligned correctly hence the skip. A couple of shifts later rd drops off and I have to hit the brakes quick.

So coz I'm time constrained right now it's in the bike shop for hanger, new rd, cable, cassette, seatpost clamp and maybe new shifter. May go 8 speed depending on what they've got - speak to them tomorrow when they've priced it all up.

I hit a stick at 35 Kmh in the dark last ride, I reckon it must've gave the rd a whack on the way past and cracked the cast hanger. Lucky it broke 50m from the house...

5,650km and two noises -
1. creak from right side of BBS when pedalling hard, like a BB creak - thinking this could be bearing but will check tightness etc. Its not the pedal its from the BB area.
2. groaning at pretty much all speeds and voltages - thinking this could be nylon gear. There also seems a little bit of "slop" moving off from rest.

Tats said:
Yup I'll try and look at it over the w/e. I rode the old Dillinger a couple of weeks ago (sold it and the talon to a mate) and it was very different but still a lot of fun. I really like these small systems, they've got 'character'.

Hi mate. If you like you can send the motor back to us and we can do a full service. Most noise is something relating to bearings. As for grease do not put mobil on the nylon gear. A general purpose lithium based grease such as kincrome is better. Penrite moly grease works well on the main drive gear. Occassionally you can get some issues with the main drive bearing. Bruno has kindly detailed a fix in his video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8d914aeJWYE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7g0wEta4w-0

Back