Engagement rings

veloman

10 MW
Please educate me on modern day practice of types of engagement rings. I believe it doesn't have to be a diamond, correct? Gemstones? Is a common rule of thumb - one month's salary?

And yes, I am LUCKY :D

I think you'd be lucky if you get away with not purchasing a diamond ring. The general rule in the UK is two months salary.

I personally like how the Dutch do it; a plain band for an engagement ring, that also serves as the wedding ring 8)

2 words - Blood Diamonds....

Gold band should be plenty, if not, 'might be the wrong girl?

In fact, since losing a bunch of weight and the ridiculous quotes to resize old Gold band we recently replaced it with a $6 Titanium which I prefer so much better than Gold. Of course, emergency medical response might be an issue but otherwise it's great, if not perfect ring material.

It's not about what's it made from but what it REPRESENTS.

Ykick said:
2 words - Blood Diamonds....
Gold band should be plenty, if not, 'might be the wrong girl?
In fact, since losing a bunch of weight and the ridiculous quotes to resize old Gold band we recently replaced it with a $6 Titanium which I prefer so much better than Gold. Of course, emergency medical response might be an issue but otherwise it's great, if not perfect ring material.

$6.00 engagement ring?
That is an abstinence ring.
Cause if you think $6 buck ring is enticing to most USA females , then you are most likely not going to be considered for a lifetime of marriage ... but instead, sentenced to a long stretch of not getting laid :cry: .

If you live on the Island Of Sasquatch Hippy Womerns'; then a bread tie, or a sustainable hemp string, or even a diversity peoples micro-brew beer tab may seem an adequate symbol of your love and devotion . BUT to many American womerns' an "engagement ring" is what she proudly shows to her family and friends.

Nothing says "weird dude" or "cheap bastard" better than the wrong ring.

Engagement ring is a pre-cursor to the much more expensive wedding ring. Therefore, get one that says there is more to come!
Gold band, no stone is generic type that is proven to get a "yes" of acceptance. {get the inside engraved with your name & date declaring eternal "love and devotion" just in case you someday screw-up badly ; or she goes PMS psycho and she decides to hock it, or throw it at you , or shove it up your ***, :shock: ....

Ykick said:
Amen.

The ring should be something that has meaning primarily to the couple, and isn't influenced by strangers mainly interested in profit. Something nobody but you would ever think of, and demonstrates you know who she is = priceless.

No worries of "abstinence" here Mr fdog. After many, many years it's clear she's in it for me, perhaps my cock and ability to take good care of her like no other. As opposed to some ridiculous impulse purchase heavily promoted by DeBeer's and similar ilk of the world...

Oh, why not tell us how you'd feel if/when robber/mugger decides he wants that couple months' salary she wearing/flaunting in public?

Lots of diverse ideas. Betsy and I shopped for the rings together with a definite price limitation as I was still in college and she had just recently started working as a registered nurse. Her wedding ring was a plain gold band and the engagement ring had a solitary diamond. The diamond was a nice but small size, and that's where most of the cost came from, I think a couple of hundred dollars. Of course monthly salaries were about $400 at that time.

She proudly wore her rings for almost 52 years. Some time ago she purchased a nice birthstone ring and had the three rings connected together as the engagement ring was in danger of failure because the gold had worn thin.

Betsy passed away a month ago. Writing this message has started the water works. She would have turned 74 today.

Those above that said the right girl is more concerned with the symbol than the price are correct. I have seen many marriages fail after expensive weddings and rings.

Congratulations on your choices. May you be as fortunate as I was and have many wonderful years together.

Ykick said:
No worries of "abstinence" here Mr fdog. After many, many years it's clear she's in it for me, perhaps my cock and ability to take good care of her like no other. As opposed to some ridiculous impulse purchase heavily promoted by DeBeer's and similar ilk of the world...
Oh, why not tell us how you'd feel if/when robber/mugger decides he wants that couple months' salary she wearing/flaunting in public?
I hope your is referring to "taking care of" your woman, and I trust your not specifically "taking care" of the OP's? :roll:

I had some generic experience with women and my post reflects my that.
Of course your mileage will vary. One mans ceiling is another mans floor?
One woman may be happy with a kiln-fired donkey dung engagement ring; others with the more traditional "band of gold" (most women IMHO). I emphasize that the engagement ring is just the first round : and thus normally a pre-cursor to the Ring Of All Rings ....the wedding ring? Committed but not yet bound.... thus I do not emphasize it being "salary based" but "traditionally based" .

{To wander OT , and answer your question to me, heck ole' chum that's simple!
After decades of typical married bliss , the recent anniversary present I gave to her is a cute little Smith and Wesson Governor .410-.45 Model. My lady don't flaunt nothing in public. Any miscreant who desires to rob/mug her will certainly/deservingly have his "head made into a canoe".
example: http://youtu.be/co5xVHsMRV0
Thanks for your concern!}

I had a diamond that I inherited from a family friend who died. I used that to get a custom ring made that my wife helped to design. It only cost about $1000 because I already had the big diamond and we added four smaller diamonds to the sides. On the very day of our first anniversary, my wife forgot to wear her ring. Our house got broken into while we were at work and the ring got stolen along with a bunch of other stuff. Easy come easy go, I guess.

"Candy-coated popcorn, peanuts, and a prize, that's what you get in Cracker Jack". :D
Seriously, get the nicest one you can afford. It shows everyone how much you love her, and the level of commitment to future fidelity is represented by the engagement ring. If you break that committment, the ring remains with her. If she breaks that committment, the ring returs to you.
Anything can and often does happen, that is why both parties need to understand the rules and the importance and significance of keeping the promise to marry. If one of you gets cold feet, they forfeit the ring. :wink:
I have had engagement rings thrown at me before and the ones over 1/2 carat can hurt when they hit you, but they're easier to find afterwards. :lol:
May God bless you and your desire to marry. 8)
Hebrews 13:4

some women like diamonds, some don't care, so ymmv as other's have said.. my neighbor's wife literally drools at the 20,000$ diamond rings in display cases, but she's a cheap no frills person as far as spending money on it.. if she won the lottery you can guarantee she'd be wearing a big s.o.b diamond... but they earn an average salary so she has what they can afford.

Just like i want that Recumpence modded kmx trike, but it's way out of my budget, so i make due with what i have... and what i have seems totally insane to most of my friends " Dude. who in their right mind spends 4k on a bicycle ?... " .. A : Me ! :p

OP --- In the spirit of this ES forum, I found you a multi-ring for only $22 !!!
Twist this unique little ring clamp on her finger and watch her light up with joy and say YES .
233.jpg

Psssssst .... watch out. Them spouses oft come with a thing a called a mother-in-law. That creature can rapidly change from real-sweeties into she-beast-harpies and they will appraise your ring offerings.

Diamonds are a racket.

If I had given my wife (of 30+ years now) a diamond when I asked her to marry me, she'd have turned me down cold, and justifiably, as being financially foolish.
We were young, and could use the money better in 100 different ways.

Over the years we made enough to have some pocket money, and to be sure, some if it has gone to gifts of sparkly diamond jewelry.

Man, when it comes to diamond engagement rings you just can't win. A small diamond? You look like a piker, even if it bankrupts you. A big diamond? Unless you've struck it rich, you look like a fool. You are in a tough spot. Be honest with her, ask her what she wants... and if she wants a diamond, then tell her it's been fun. There's a lot of fine ladies out there, and you could buy a boatload of batteries for the cost of a mediocre diamond :wink:

I hear married is like being dead except you got to wake up and go to work everyday
jk congrats

Make something unique. :)

Perhaps a ring the glows from tritium decay, and/or generates new unique and/or unstable exotic compounds inside it as she wears it.

Hey V-man:

You've gotta make it a diamond. If it works out optimally, you only get one shot at this.

30 years ago I bought the wife a marquis-cut diamond solitaire. Went for "quality" insted of "quantity", in retrospect, I think I would have gone for a little more "quantity" and a little less "quality".

For both my sons, we have been fortunate enough to be able to route enough inherited family jewelry to them so their wive's engagement rings got made at low cost but appraised high. What was awesome about that, is the resulting product appraised for much more value than the raw material we put into it. The craftsmanship has an equity component that's surprisingly high.

I highly recommend working with your parents to see if they can connect you up to a family diamond, then if possible, allow the future Ms. Veloman to choose and/or design the setting for the diamond.

One other thing: people are pulling ridiculous amounts of gold from old PC's and PCB's: http://www.instructables.com/id/Gold-recovery/

Health and prosperity to you and the future Ms. V!
JKB

Bought my wife a Engagement Stainless Steel tea pot. A very nice stainless steel tea pot. We have been happily married for 25 years. The wife likes tea. Boil water and make tea. Think that the microwave would use less energy then the electric stove to boil enough water for a cup of tea. Wife claims that water heated in her tea pot tastes better?

Wife had a accident and melted the handle on our tea pot. Bought a new one. Life goes on :D

kriskros said:
DONT DO IT.... in 50 years you will wonder why you didn't build a new ebike instead :)

haha. I already have like 5 ebikes that I built.

Living the dream!

When I got married, I was an executive and made around $25K a month. If any woman thought I was going to spend 50K on a piece of glass they were definitely not the girl for me. I don't care how much money you make, I think 5K is plenty for a ring. If the girl isn't satisfied with that, then find a different girl.

The 2 months salary is a scam by the jewelry stores to get you to blow a wad on the ring. Kind of like those expensive tennis bracelets back in the 80s. They were a scam because the market got glutted with small diamonds. It was a way to create a market for them.

Get what you can reasonably afford without going into debt. If you have to borrow money for an engagement ring then you can't afford to get married.

Good luck and hopefully congratulations will be in order.

Hi, I own a jewelry store and will give you my two cent. First, the "timeless" tradition of diamond rings is actually a very new thing. It was a concept invented to sell diamonds. The two months salary thing is also a load of crap. It was a way to make you feel guilty for not spending enough. Also big box jewelers have no interest in selling you a ring, they want to sell you financing, because that is where the money is.

Believe me, you will get "robbed" all right and it will happen when you go to pay for your ring. They have made you "ooooh" and "aaaah" over how valuable is it, what a wise decision you are making, how much she will love you, etc. Take the ring to a pawn shop and you will find out exactly what it is worth. If you are extremely lucky, maybe a sixth of what you paid for it.

We do not do the engagement ring racket. I cannot stand the BS that goes along with it. We do make things using family stones, or stones from estate jewelry and we sell estate (pre-owned aka used) rings. These are your best bets for not paying for overpriced name brands or trademarked stone cutting.

Also get something with some freaking GOLD in it and maybe a single round stone in a six prong setting. A setting with 500 shitty diamonds built with a light metal structure under it is a complete waste of money. Fancy princess and marquis stones are destined for point breakage. Buy something solid and functional, easy to maintain and simple to fix. Folks think because "I wear it everyday" it creates a magic shield of safety around their jewelry. Really? Wear the same pair of underwear for ten years and let me know how that works out.

Enough rant. Shop smart, reasonable, and secondhand. Do not start your marriage with more debt. You can always upgrade at your anniversaries.

My wife and I own a jewelry store and we could make or buy anything we wanted. She wears a nice 1/4 carat diamond with a bezel setting in 14k white gold. $200 for the stone and about $200 in gold.

17 years and we love each other just the same as if it cost a million bucks.

Back