Eternal outskirts of Moscow and beyond (LOTS of pics!)

After my last trip i've craven to ride through night. The night between day off and the next working day would be perfect, since it is most quietest nights. So there is a time to finally visit center of Moscow!

1. The Рот-Фронт ("Rote Front", it's from german, means "Red Front") chocolate factory:
IMG_2937.jpg

2. The thick smell of fresh chocolate oozing through sleepy streets of Замоскворечье district (Zamoskvorechie means "behind the Moskva river" - an old historical part of the city):
IMG_2936.jpg

3. But my favorite product of that factory is not a chocolate, but wafels:
IMG_2935.jpg

4. Everything looks different at night, more interesting and mysterious:
IMG_2938.jpg

5. Old wooden houses looks interesting always:
IMG_2939.jpg

6. The lighting of "Seven sisters" switched from evening to night mode:
IMG_2940.jpg

7. There almost none of cars and people in the central little streets:
IMG_2941.jpg

8. Almost:
IMG_2943.jpg

9. The view from higher bank of Neglinnaya river (the river underneath the ground now):
IMG_2946.jpg

10. Suddenly, the Kremlin:
IMG_2963.jpg

IMG_2965.jpg

IMG_2966.jpg

IMG_2951.jpg

14. I was approached by police officers while i've took that shot, they were concerned if i had some malice agenda. "You can shoot your pics while we checking your ID", they've said, so i did:
IMG_2948.jpg

15. When i've done with Kremlin i've started to ride back south towards home. Then i've seen a shadow of a Lenin's monument and a satellite dish above that shadow. Don't know if that's means anything:
IMG_2969.jpg

16. Shukhov's parabolic tower, a fence made from famous ПО-2 concrete sections and a stop sign. Don't know if that means anything either:
IMG_2971.jpg

17. Just a street. Everyone is asleep:
IMG_2973.jpg

18. And that's me, awake, taken selfie in a middle of a garden square:
IMG_2974.jpg

19. A confluence of a Chura and Krovyanka rivers. Chura spitting with an icebergs of a foam:
IMG_2975.jpg

IMG_2976.jpg

IMG_2977.jpg

22. And that is a perfect example of bomzh people habitat. You can see secluded abandoned ruins with rugs over it, big central heating pipes above to live through the winter, a river nearby to get water, and a big free TV in the sky (a bit of a boring, though):
IMG_2978.jpg

IMG_2982.jpg

24. There is a perfect cacophony of a frogs and nightingales coming through my helmet:
IMG_2983.jpg

25. Krovyanka river flows alongside a fence of a cemetery, what a perfect combination (Krovyanka means "the bloody river"):
IMG_2984.jpg

26. A pedestrian tunnel from nowhere to nowhere:
IMG_2986.jpg

27. That's not just a landfill, that's an historical landmark! Tarkovsky's "Stalker" was filmed there:
IMG_2996.jpg

28. The Neverdrying puddle is one of the artifacts of this "zone":
IMG_2999.jpg

29. Looks like the end of a civilised land from this point:
IMG_2997.jpg

30. But it's not. Like i've said before, the landfills has best views around:
IMG_3000.jpg

31. You can see the Shukhov parabolic tower from there:
IMG_2992.jpg

IMG_2993.jpg

33. And the Ostankino tower too:
IMG_2994.jpg

34. I can see windows of my home:
IMG_2991.jpg

35. But no one is waving back since all asleep:
IMG_2995.jpg

36. Foof!
IMG_2990.jpg

37. ТЭЦ-20, MSU main building, Sberbank HQ, and some of a Moon:
IMG_2987.jpg

IMG_2998.jpg

39. There is a time to go home. Through an empty sleepy streets:
IMG_3005.jpg

That's it for this week!

Let me return to my mini-theme of differences in the unhoused environs: Looking at your photo #22, the bomzh habitat appears to be lacking the huge piles of trash and cast-off items usually affiliated with the encampments in my area. What do they do with their garbage (discarded food containers, bags, needles, mattresses, clothing scraps, copper wire insulation scraps, busted open safes, shopping carts, stripped bike frames, car carcasses, etc.)?

Photo 9: Is that an urban public restroom there near lower left?

99t4 said:
Let me return to my mini-theme of differences in the unhoused environs: Looking at your photo #22, the bomzh habitat appears to be lacking the huge piles of trash and cast-off items usually affiliated with the encampments in my area. What do they do with their garbage (discarded food containers, bags, needles, mattresses, clothing scraps, copper wire insulation scraps, busted open safes, shopping carts, stripped bike frames, car carcasses, etc.)?

There is a several causes for that. The first one - they can't create such a pigsty because they just haven't access to such type of things. There is more and more regulations about waste handling implementing in Russia for the last decade, waste became a serious business, lot of things goes to the recycling. So there is no need to throwing such type of garbage around if it can be turned for profit instead.

The typical bomzh cant's get a hands on such a "tasty" type a waste like aluminium bike frame or heavy steell objects like a car or a safe, all that valuable stuff is taken care of before they even got a wiff.

Copper from the wires and especialy from windings of a motors and transformers is still accesible from a waste bins around, if a bomzh is lucky - there is a possibility to get a hands on a improperly discarded vacuum cleaner or a hair dryer. So almost every bomzh habitat have a bonfire nearby with a signs of a burning out wire insulation.

The second cause is keeping low profile. That place exactly (between Krovyanka river and cemetery) is very secluded, but still has some people walking there. So creating a mess around their shack would be dangerous - people can get angry and chase them away with a help of a police. Every year there is subbotnik, people clean riverbeds and it's banks, another people keeping clean the cemetery, so having a dump under their noses would be irritating.

The third one would be a lack of numbers and organisation. Bomzh people in Russia is an unconnected hermits scattered around. It's hard to maintain operation with producing waste in such levels if you are weak and alone. There was a legends about a strong bomzh communities living from a wasteyards back in a 90's, but not now, wastelands have a security now and hired people to sort waste for recycling.

And no needles - bomzh don't have money for illegal drugs, only to find some extremely cheap and dirty alcoholic beverages. And being a self-injecting bomzh diabetic is not a viable option, i'm afraid. So the only waste around is some food wrappings and torn clothes.

Here is a crop of another shot of that place that night, you can see some more details:
IMG_2980.jpg

99t4 said:
Photo 9: Is that an urban public restroom there near lower left?
There is a parking toll booth in a lower left (and it's resembles a WC indeed from that distance). But right above it, just across the square is an actual pay toilet (you can even see "WC" letters):
IMG_2944.jpg

nicobie said:
Those night shots of the Kremlin are beautiful.

Thanks! 8)

nicobie said:
They rival anything the US has (outside of Disneyland or Las Vegas :mrgreen: )

That and some of a Neo-Gothic Cathedrals, they as close as it gets to the Old World architecture in a matter of vibe and scale. Anyway, it's hardly a rivalry - the shining downtowns full of skyscrapers are worth to be an iconic architectural image of a New World and old european cities have nothing to put against it.

The Moscow weather in the last weeks of May was not inspiring, unpredictable and rainy. But i've found a window of opportunity to ride in the night between Saturday and Sunday. So i've went to northern outskirts of Moscow, the Bibirevo district. Such districts was called "Sleeping districts" in USSR, since there was nothing to do but to went home, sleep through the night and went to work in the next morning. Over the years they become nicer - shops, malls and public gardens was builded, new workplaces appear, so now it's just nice place to live in the best panel buildings USSR has to offer back then.

1. A evening rainbow in my window tells me i'm good to go!
IMG_3007.jpg

2. The sunrises in summer Moscow somehow less spectacular than sunsets. I don't know, maybe something connecting to the difference in the state of atmosphere in the mornings and evenings:
IMG_3013.jpg

3. The school looks empty since there early morning of weekend and kids all went to summer vacations:
IMG_3014.jpg

4. Bibirevo famous for lots of П-43 series of panel buildings. Here's the one:
IMG_3017.jpg

5. And this is II-68 block-panel building harmonising with ПО-2 fence and cherry tree in bloom:
IMG_3019.jpg

6. Someone is not asleep already. Or not asleep yet, just like me:
IMG_3020.jpg

IMG_3022.jpg

8. Rows of П-43:
IMG_3023.jpg

IMG_3024.jpg

IMG_3025.jpg

IMG_3026.jpg

IMG_3032.jpg

IMG_3036.jpg

14. Suddenly, i've ride into Lianosovo tree nursery:
IMG_3037.jpg

IMG_3039.jpg

16. The mall named after the Budapest city, the capital of Hungary:
IMG_3040.jpg

17. Because of the wind gusts something went terribly wrong. I hope, that no one been inside during that:
IMG_3041.jpg

18. Solar panel waiting for the sun:
IMG_3043.jpg

IMG_3047.jpg

IMG_3048.jpg

IMG_3049.jpg

IMG_3053.jpg

IMG_3055.jpg

24. From the tree nursery i've exited to a sleepy backyard:
IMG_3057.jpg

25. The mighty КОПЭ building - a sign i'm close to Altufievskoye highway:
IMG_3059.jpg

26. Electric bus sleeping on charging station. "This is electric bus" said writing on the side of the bus:
IMG_3070.jpg

IMG_3063.jpg

IMG_3068.jpg

IMG_3069.jpg

30. The Altufyevskoe highway and rows of КОПЭ buildings. КОПЭ considered a pinnacle of soviet panel building engeneering:
IMG_3074.jpg

IMG_3079.jpg

IMG_3080.jpg

IMG_3084.jpg

IMG_3094.jpg

IMG_3098.jpg

IMG_3099.jpg

IMG_3101.jpg

IMG_3102.jpg

39. Something in bloom:
IMG_3104.jpg

40. Enough with КОПЭ. Time to switch back to П-43:
IMG_3106.jpg

IMG_3107.jpg

42. The blooming lilac and songs of nightingales under the windows of П-43:
IMG_3126.jpg

IMG_3108.jpg

44. The city is still asleep:
IMG_3114.jpg

45. And it's time to me to bath in a morning sun:
IMG_3122.jpg

IMG_3123.jpg

47. The less aesthetic side of П-43 building, it may look like the broken windows. But there never was a windows, it's a fire escape stairs:
IMG_3128.jpg

48. I like it anyway, adds a character:
IMG_3129.jpg

IMG_3131.jpg

IMG_3133.jpg

51. The best playground - is a wasteland! I bet local kids love this place:
IMG_3138.jpg

IMG_3135.jpg

IMG_3140.jpg

54. Wet dandelion:
IMG_3141.jpg

55. Apple trees in full bloom:
IMG_3146.jpg

IMG_3149.jpg

57. The last of П-43's this time. I promise:
IMG_3150.jpg

Skorohod said:
2. The sunrises in summer Moscow somehow less spectacular than sunsets. I don't know, maybe something connecting to the difference in the state of atmosphere in the mornings and evenings:
Spectacular sunsets are usually caused by lots of "crap" in the air: windborne dust, particulate pollution (including tire dust / etc kicked up by daytime road traffic), etc.

Sunrises don't usually have the same stuff in the air so they aren't typically as spectacular. But they're cleaner and it's easier to breathe while out riding. :)

IMG_3151.jpg

59. A little pond stranded between garages and powerlines near Chermyanka river valley:
IMG_3152.jpg

IMG_3156.jpg

IMG_3158.jpg

IMG_3160.jpg

IMG_3161.jpg

IMG_3162.jpg

IMG_3164.jpg

IMG_3171.jpg

IMG_3166.jpg

68. When i see powerline towers rising to the bottomless sky, i've lost control a little and starting to take pictures frantically:
IMG_3167.jpg

IMG_3169.jpg

70. "Do not climb. Will kill!":
IMG_3170.jpg

IMG_3172.jpg

IMG_3174.jpg

IMG_3175.jpg

74. My "garage on the wheels". Since it more than 35 kilometers from me to northern outskirts, i've decided to keep to a minimum a "lost" mileage of Sur-Ron and drive it in my Largus instead:
IMG_3178.jpg

IMG_3177.jpg

76. Time to go home, it's a perfect early morning with a little amount of traffic on the Moscow roads:
IMG_3179.jpg

That's it for this week!

amberwolf said:
Spectacular sunsets are usually caused by lots of "crap" in the air: windborne dust, particulate pollution (including tire dust / etc kicked up by daytime road traffic), etc.

Sunrises don't usually have the same stuff in the air so they aren't typically as spectacular. But they're cleaner and it's easier to breathe while out riding. :)

Agreed, totally makes sense. And changing of air currents between seasons amplifies difference during the summer, makes morning air cleaner. During other seasons in Moscow the difference between sunsets and sunrises less noticeable.

And maybe the pollen also adds something, a vegetation in the north can be fast and furious, trying to achieve all its natural goals in the little time :)

Photo #1: City is seeing boomtime development! (assuming all those cranes are construction cranes)

file.php

fechter said:
Great pictures. Thanks for posting.

8)

99t4 said:
Photo #1: City is seeing boomtime development! (assuming all those cranes are construction cranes)

Yes, this is indeed a two massive urban development projects going on in the city right now. The one on a pic, blessed with a rainbow - is a redevelopment of an old Moscow industrial zones. What you can see - is a new apartment buildings replacing a legendary ZIL automobile plan, which is dead and gone for years now. Another projects is called a "renovation", this is a replacement of old 50's-60's 5-storey buildings by new ones. New ones is a much taller (17-24 storey) and with much better square footage per appartement. Most of apartment owners glad with that sort of exchange, but some of them kind a discontented. Can't please everyone, i guess :)

The "renovation" is an almost 1:1 exchange of an apartment quantity and free for owners of displaced apartments, so this is OK.

But massive construction of apartment buildings within a old industrial areas is kind of baffles me. I wonder who will have enough money to buy all of those square footage, and will they plan to live there or use it as an investement to rent those apartements to someone (and again, where that tenants will come from in such numbers?).

Skorohod said:
I wonder who will have enough money to buy all of those square footage, and will they plan to live there or use it as an investement to rent those apartements to someone (and again, where that tenants will come from in such numbers?).
Maybe the business plan is "If You Build It, They Will Come?" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3c_pJ_CLJQ

99t4 said:
Maybe the business plan is "If You Build It, They Will Come?" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3c_pJ_CLJQ

Hahaha, i'm not gonna be surprised if this is actually how it happened :lol:

Anyway, construction is fast this days, and in a year or so i'm probably gonna see how many ghosts in this town just by looking out my window and counting how many windows are lit during long winter nights.

Back