EU only - Legality ? Share your experience.

qwerkus

10 kW
As ebike numbers increase, more accidents happen. As a results, several EU countires have pushed so called anti-tuning laws forward, like France recent L317-1: https://www.bike-eu.com/laws-regulations/nieuws/2020/03/e-bike-tuning-now-banned-in-france-with-30000-euro-fine-10137459

This type of legislation targets the purposely modification of commercial system to increase speed an power. Yet some also see a move against aftermarket kits, since basically a conversion could be seen as "tuning". I for once think that high power ebikes are a real danger in crowded cities, but I'm also a strong proponent of the right to build stuff in your garage. A good solution would be to increase legal speed to 30km/h, and introduce nation wide mandatory insurances for all cyclists (not only ebikes), like they had in Swizterland until a few years ago. Like 10 bucks a year to cover all third party damages.

Now the law is one thing; everyday practice another thing. For an instance here in Switzerland I've never seen or heard about police controls of ebikes - aside perhaps some extreme cases where someone would blitz at 50km/h through a city on a diy bike with lipos packs duct taped to the frame. On the other hand, during the 5 least years, I've encountered maybe 1 or 2 diy conversions... Price of commercial ebikes have been divided by 3 in 5 years, and the second hand market is literally flooded with 2nd or 3rd gen bikes in very good shape. So why even bother with diy...

I know that the situation is different in germany, where colleagues report active controls, and france where fines have been reported. So what's your experience ?

Only issue I've heard about in UK was Andy kirby off YouTube.

But then again I only know a handful of people that have ebikes. Couple of friends who are cops said unless it's blatantly obvious like do 40mph on a pushbike, or throttle only up and down kurbs, etc to avoid traffic lights or multiple complaints they're not going to do anything.

I think you should have up to 15.5mph no license, etc then 15.5mph to say 25mph you need insurance,

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

if you want people commuting by ebikes the speed needs to be 50km/h so they can get into traffic when forced to from lack of bike lanes.

its a bit of a joke to have a guy on a pedal bike passing an ebike going 20mph/32km/h

2000 watt and 50km/h

im always jumping into traffic when forced to at 50/60km/h when the bike lanes suddenly disappear for a km or 2 then slow down to about 30 to 40km/h for cruising in comfort for most of the journey when bike lanes reappear

youre not backing up traffic and pissing off drivers

i like watching the youtube videos of the ebikers in Russia, they have way more freedoms than the european and commonwealth countries

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PeAWqQiINpg

Back