Eurobike 2023 mid-motor announcements anyone?

Mongo

100 W
IIRC, Eurobike 2023 opens tomorrow, Jun 21, 2023, and runs through Sunday, Jun 25, 2023.

Maybe Bafang will breathe new life into the BBSHD (no, not the M325/M625 - something better). Maybe CYC will counter with the Proton. Maybe somebody new will enter the fray.

Last edited:
Maybe Bafang will offer a BBSHD-T with torque sensor? I will not be holding my breath.

IIRC, Eurobike 2023 opens tomorrow, Jun 21, 2023, and runs through Sunday, Jun 25, 2023.

Maybe Bafang will breathe new life into the BBSHD (no, not the M325/M625 - something better). Maybe CYC will counter with the Proton. Maybe somebody new will enter the fray.

It's early yet, but so far I haven't come across anything of interest for us D.I.Y.ers. Nothing from Bafang - maybe they've moved on and will just continue to milk the BBS motor sales returns.

Or maybe I'm looking in the wrong places.

There's the Pinion system @scrambler posted above. Bosch has a new, lighter motor (Performance Line SX), and there's a planetary/driveshaft drive motor, the Driven Orbit Drive - similar in some ways to the shaft drive motor Bafang has had for a while.

Last edited:
Another day ...

OLI Motors has frame-integrated motors that slot in and replace certain Bosch and Shimano motors. How much else has to change (wiring, for example) I don't know. I've been under the impression that there are no frame-integrated motor mounting standards, not even within the vendors themselves - this motor vendor may provide some relief from sole-source concerns.

From Bafang, are some new HMI displays - can't tell what interface standard they use.

High Voltage posted a video, specifically on the Pinion motor, as well as on a subdued, kind-of sort-of announcement about a Bafang BBS style torque-sensing motor - not from Bafang, but from a third-party European vendor (I think).

Pinion motor and belt drive looks very cool. And gets rid of the weak links... the fragile derailleur and tiny bicycle chain. Unfortunately, it will be proprietary, need specific frame config to mount and be very $$. Still not holding my breath on BBS with torque sensor.

Last edited:
as well as on a subdued, kind-of sort-of announcement about a Bafang BBS style torque-sensing motor - not from Bafang, but from a third-party European vendor (I think).

Do you mean the Toseven drives? (there's at least one thread about those somewhere)

Do you mean the Toseven drives? (there's at least one thread about those somewhere)
Hi @amberwolf - per the High Voltage video, from Bafang, not Toseven. Not present/announced at the Bafang booth(s), and reportedly confirmed by a European Bafang connection. I indexed the video link to the BBS-something starting point.

IF this motor exists, and Bafang engineered it but chose not to present it, my armchair speculation would be in line with High Voltage - a small run, licensed build for somebody.

Lots of ifs, rumors, and maybeware - who knows.

Last edited:
Back