• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

External controller magic pie 2

Seya

10 W
Looking for a controller that will allow the best regen braking..

Would lyen be my only choice or does infineon have anything suitable?

By best Regen I guess what I'm looking for is something that will have the most stopping power to take the effort away from my breaks.

I'm curious if the current Controllers can perform Dynamic braking meaning the further I pull my pretty lever more resistance the reaitance it gives.. just like it a Prius

You'd have to change the sensor or switch in the lever to something that puts out an analog signal, first.

There are controllers that will do it, but the only commercially available ones I can think of off the top of my head are not ebike controllers, and probably are not cheap. Sevcon, maybe Kelly? Might be an ebike controller that can do it, but other than the DIY ones like Lebowski's or other ES projects I don't know the status of, I cant' remember any.

As for "infineon", that basically jsut means a generic controller nowadays (including Lyen's), because there arent' any infineon-based controllers now made that I'm aware of.

Remember that regen braking isn't solely determined by the controller--your battery voltage will make a difference, too, with most designs, because the higher the battery voltage, the less regen current it can take (or rather, will be generated).

Oh i see,

Yeah price is a big factor..

I'm building ebikes for sale in Socal.

One thing I'm looking at is using bmx style brakes ( one vbrake in the rear ) to save cost, and this is adequate, because the hub is contributing to braking aswell..

I just want to maximize the regen affect as cheaply as possible.

Im using 50 volt em3ev traingle pack, with either a magic pie 2 or a mxus/9c style motor..

Going for 1500 watts

How do controllers work?! I was first just looking to find how regen works but since I really don't know how controllers do anything I should start there. Any advice where I can find an explaination of what happens in these things?

Back