EZip/IZip Motor Noise Solution

dumbass

100 kW
If you ride and EZip/IZip and don't enjoy the plesant sounds coming from your motor I think I have found the cause and solution. I'm not saying it's a solution for everyone but it sure looks good for me. If interested check my posting here;

http://www.ebikeforum.com/electric-bike-scooter/161032-ezip-motor-noise-what-noise.html

did it work?

my understanding is that:

1. brushed motors are just loud due to mechanical friction
2. chain drive is also loud

Nah, the my1018z is just REALLY noisy. Its not chain noise or brush noise. 409 brushed motor is just about the quietest motor there is..

vanilla ice said:
Nah, the my1018z is just REALLY noisy. Its not chain noise or brush noise. 409 brushed motor is just about the quietest motor there is..

I agree. If you pull the gearbox cap off and remove the main gear you can hardly tell the motor is running even at full speed. In fact if you reinstall the main gear and don't put the cover on the motor is still very quiet. The noise starts when you install the gearbox cover. The bearing are poorly fit and cause the gear to wobble causing a vibration at high speed. This is the noise you hear and everyone calls motor noise. I also have 2 bike with Cyclone motors wit hgearboxes. I may eventually try this on them too. Hmm, I smell a pattten? LOL

Bob

ttiwwop.gif

There was a time when I use to run two of the little ezip motors on the one bike but the noise was a killer especially when over voted to 48v. They are a great little simple compact unit. I still have them laying around in the garage. I am keen to see a pic or two of what you have come up with and a video of the results.

Kurt.

Kurt said:
There was a time when I use to run two of the little ezip motors on the one bike but the noise was a killer especially when over voted to 48v. They are a great little simple compact unit. I still have them laying around in the garage. I am keen to see a pic or two of what you have come up with and a video of the results.

Kurt.

What to sell those old motors?

I'll be doing more bench testing today and will see if I have time to take one apart and get pics. Video may not be possible though. But I would like to record the difference in noise before and after. I also want to put a techometer (on order) on them to see if there is any RPM change too. I wouldn't expect there to be because I'm really not adding a load or friction anywhere. But you just never know!!

Bob

I think it is a very good (small!) motor for low-power pedal assist, can be nicely mounted under the BB (check www.boosty.ch).
If one can battle the noise - it is going to be perfect.

Can motors like this be re-wound to produce more power? This seems like a great option for a compact hill assist, never a hot rod but decent power I would think could be had if the motor could be souped up to take 1000+ watts??

The motor/brushes will then overheat.

But why do you need more power for a pedal-assist? 450W with the right gearing is double your maximum pedal power - more than enough for a pedal-assist. I have a 360W Cyclone - usually run it on 150-200W to assist.

Whiplash said:
Can motors like this be re-wound to produce more power? This seems like a great option for a compact hill assist, never a hot rod but decent power I would think could be had if the motor could be souped up to take 1000+ watts??

Honestly couldn't tell ya. I personally run twin motors for 900 rated watts. But the 450w is just fine for normal usage especially if it's running through the gear system.

Bob

VSkudarnov said:
The motor/brushes will then overheat.

But why do you need more power for a pedal-assist? 450W with the right gearing is double your maximum pedal power - more than enough for a pedal-assist. I have a 360W Cyclone - usually run it on 150-200W to assist.

Double the max pedal power? No arguement 450w or even your 360w Cyclone (I have 2 of those) is enought but in my state and thefed 750w is 100% legal.

Bob

Whiplash said:
Not really worth it...

almost any motor can deliver much more than its rated power, but the efficiency losses and cooling complexities are more trouble than just getting a bigger motor (or adding more motors).

On a completely stock bike these little things can draw like 35 amps.. I'm sure they would tolerate a reasonable boost, maybe to 48v at like 20 amps. Should probably do the Durden Swiss cheese mod if you use 1000W though.

One guy posted he had his at 60v IIRC, and he said it worked fine. Just take it easy on the hills if you want it to last. I'm pretty sure I could melt mine even at the std 24v on a big enough hill.

TylerDurden said:
Whiplash said:
Not really worth it...

almost any motor can deliver much more than its rated power, but the efficiency losses and cooling complexities are more trouble than just getting a bigger motor (or adding more motors).

Yeah, they get pretty hot even in normal 24v operation.
I don't think rewinding them will do much for ya. You'd need a VERY large improvement!

All that mechanical friction from the brushes = major heat. Those suckers are basically getting grinded down constantly.

That is why upgrading the battery to something like 8s lipo, or running dual motors to share the load between the two, is about as good as it's gonna get.

dumbass said:
If you ride and EZip/IZip and don't enjoy the plesant sounds coming from your motor I think I have found the cause and solution. I'm not saying it's a solution for everyone but it sure looks good for me. If interested check my posting here;

http://www.ebikeforum.com/electric-bike-scooter/161032-ezip-motor-noise-what-noise.html

Let me guess. Plastic endplay washers for the shaft gear ends that can be adjusted like a car rear differential ring gear bearing adjusters. Adjust the spacing = contact pattern and gear spacing. Just like a noisy car rear differential = noisy currie gear drive. Except the currie is straight cut gears and car is spiral cut.

This is a video of my old dual motor set-up running at 48v with a 35a controller around 1500w. The hill just before the 2:45 mark on the vid is short but a crazy incline. I am towing a trailer in this vid with 20ah 48v of lead acid battery and my daughter in a child seat. so all up its pulling a lot of weight.
[youtube]_d2V3zt6hVE[/youtube]

D-Man said:
dumbass said:

Let me guess. Plastic endplay washers for the shaft gear ends that can be adjusted like a car rear differential ring gear bearing adjusters. Adjust the spacing = contact pattern and gear spacing. Just like a noisy car rear differential = noisy currie gear drive. Except the currie is straight cut gears and car is spiral cut.

The gears do not make and noise nor does the motor. The noise is bearing noise. I fould that the spacers (shimes) were not reliable because it depended on how the alignment was when you bolted everything together. Just to sensitive and uncontrolable. So today I made a test plastic bushing to replace the gearbox cover bearing. Of course it could never be actually used for running the motor but it was good to see if the noise stopped. I installed this busing in 2 motors and bolted the motrs on the bike and test ran it. Both motors ran very quiet. So to me this proves the problem is the bearing in the motors are just cheap crap and if replaced with a quality bearing the noise will stop. BTW, these are new motors with these crappy bearings. Tomorrow I am ordering new quality bearings. Hopefully this will resolve the noise problem for all 4 of my motors.

Bob

It is gear noise. IMO, the best you can hope for is good alignment and good noise-suppression after the fact.

When testing in-situ, a training-stand to provide a load is most painfully revealing.

But don't let me dissuade you from trying... these are good little motors except for the noise. Finding a simple solution would be a very good thing.

TylerDurden said:
It is gear noise. IMO, the best you can hope for is good alignment and good noise-suppression after the fact.

When testing in-situ, a training-stand to provide a load is most painfully revealing.

But don't let me dissuade you from trying... these are good little motors except for the noise. Finding a simple solution would be a very good thing.

Hey, I'm retired and this is just the type of thiing retired ewngineers do with their spare time so believe me you won't change my mind. I love these little motors but hate the noise. I do agree a major problem is the alignment of the 2 bearings. The perfect solution would be a self aligning bearing on the cover. But, that big money. So if I can kill even 50% of the noise for 5 to 10 bucks per motor I'll be in seventh heven. I just hate people turn their heads to see where the whine and clatter is coming from while I proudly ride by....LOL I am orderign the new bearings today and well see what happens. Hopefully I will have something good to report in a week or so.

Bob

I need bearings for the gearbox- E-zip 1000. The bearing was so destroyed the numbers are nowhere to be found in the flack that remains LOL!! Anyone have the part part #'s for the bearings ? Please help Thanks !! Lefty53

Back