Felt with Golden Motor 48v 1000W - What you think for $2k

dogfloss

1 µW
Am axnious to get a replacement for my E+ bike. Not sure of these internal hub controllers or their programability (not that I am much of DIY). Would like to get any insights or thoughts.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/48-V-1000W-FELT-Electric-Bike-Bicycle-Powered-by-Golden-Motor-Authorized-Dealer-/251157101970?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a7a213d92

Custom Electric Bicycle Powered by The New and Improved Golden Motor Magic Pie Electric Brushless Hub Motor Kit. Inspected and tested in the United States prior to sale and shipment.

Purchase only from an Authorized Golden Motor Retailer / Distributor to avoid imitation and copies! Have the peace of mind of purchasing from a U.S. based retailer specializing in custom electric bicycles and bicycle conversions.

Who said you have to ever compromise on taste when going green? In partnership with MODE Bikes of Costa Mesa, the entire line of FELT cruisers can be converted to powerful electric bikes that you would be proud to throw your leg over! Ride low, cruise high, or seriously scare yourself with virtually an unlimited amount customizable options so you can have your e-bike, your way!

The complete kit features:

Stable Rear Wheel Drive for uncompromising smooth acceleration

48V 5Ah Lithium Ion Battery Pack

Plug and play controller and power cables

Cutting edge hub motor technology featuring an integrated smart controller in the motor to reduce bulk

Variable voltage technology allows the rider to use all batteries ranging from 24Volts, 36Volts, to 48 Volts (Allows you to upgrade only your battery and not your motor when you need more power!)

Cruise Control (Usage not recommended in high traffic areas)

Programmable via optional USB data cable (acceleration, braking, max amp, speed, reverse, PAS engagement point)

Sturmey Archer Front Hub Brakes

Electromagnetic Braking (adjustable with optional USB cable)

Vibration sensor alarm - Failsafe operation mode (to mitigate hall sensor failure, and throttle failure)

The bike shown is the Felt Bonneville customized with cafe racer handle bars, Thick Brick tires, and Sturmey Archer front hub brakes. Power is provided by a GM MP2 48V1000W BLDC motor with internal programmable smart controller. One of the accessory included is a USB cable that allows you to program the motor from any Microsoft based computer. You can adjust max voltage, amperage, electro magnetic regenerative braking, reverse, PAS, and acceleration. Because the controller is internal to the hub, there is no additional controller box outside the hub motor. The battery included is a 48V5Ah custom built Lithium Ion Ping Battery with a 2A LiFe specific smart charger and BMS. The battery is enclosed in a motorcycle grade leather tool bag mounted under the seat. Depending on terrain, the max speed should be between 25-29MPH with range extension of 8-10 miles beyond what you can pedal. The shipping is in a custom built crate via freight with curbside delivery.

Note: The final electric bike set up may not conform to local laws and ordinances for street legal operation. Please check your local vehicle code prior to operation.

Seller reserves the right to end all auctions early due to retail sales of these same items. FELT bikes subject to availability and color scheme of the current model year.

That's probably $500 worth of electrical stuff, so you have to ask if the remainder of the price justifies the bicycle itself and labour to convert it. If you're DIYable then you could almost certainly build something equivalent for much less money.

The battery is about half the size of what you'd usually want as a minimum.

Beware of the magic pie 2 internal controller. I stopped selling MP2 wheels with internal controllers over a year ago. Too many failures. I do however still sell the internal controller itself for replacements and I sell quite a few.

Other things, a 5 ah battery is very small and the alarm function does not exist on magic pies.

Gary

I have a Felt similar to this one and have thought a lot about how to convert it to an e-bike, so these are my thoughts:

The conversion is very clean and looks great. However, that is largely because the battery is too small and the controller is internal to the motor. It will probably go around 10 miles, max. That isn't bad, but will depend on how you want to use it. With a battery that small, you will suffer dead-battery-paranoia. I have one bike with a battery with about 50% more capacity and it is usable actually, but I still have to think about capacity more than I like. Also, the batteries are RC type batteries I assume so they don't have the longevity of other batteries and probably don't have a BMS either (but it doesn't say). All I know about the internal controllers on the MPs is that they tend to be a bit troublesome. The Felt originally had a coaster brake so they converted it to a front brake only with a braking hub. Also, the regen is a pretty effective brake down to around 10 mph so unless you are planning on going down mountains, it will probably be fine. If I ever convert my Felt, I will probably do the same thing with the brakes. You can reproduce this bike for about half the cost I think. The dropouts are a little narrow so they have been spread some to get the MP in, probably. The frame is steel so it probably doesn't hurt anything. Will make it a little tougher to get the rear wheel out if they just sprung it open.

Its actually not a bad ride for someone with short distances to travel but you can reproduce it for considerably less.

NOTE: not sure about the battery. It says "Lithium ion" which could be a lot of things. Might have a BMS also. Hard to say without more info on the battery. The ad says the charger is for LiFe which I assume is LiFePO4. If so, it will have plenty of cycles, but could have a low discharge rate which would really kill the performance on hills.

Looks clean, but too much MONEY!

5Ah pack would get to the end of the driveway and back.

There are a lot of good prebuilt for that money with much more range and power.

Also has no suspension! Hard ride at 25+mph they claim. Unless the roads are just paved.

Look around or build your own. top notch stuff for that kind of money.

Dan

Back