Ferrofluid/Statorade maintenance or not??

ebike11

1 MW
Hi everyone!
Trying to get some information on Statorade.
Is Ferrofluid "buildup" a common problem on motors after some time being in the motor or is there no issue at all?
I read that after injecting the motor with it that after a year or so, that it may buildup inside the motor and harden?
Not sure if this is accurate. If it is, must one have to open the motor and remove hardened fluid or can new fluid be added annually without ever opening up the motor??
I assume a lot of people just add it once and never touch the motor again.
Thanks!

Statorade is a kind of ferrofluid. All ferrofluid isn't Statorade. Grin Tech did a prolonged testing program to settle on the formula they sell.

If there were a problem with Grin Statorade, I expect we'd know what it is by now.

THere was a thread that referenced this problem, here on Endless sphere, bout a year ago. pictures and everything. I'll try to find it.

Chalo said:
Statorade is a kind of ferrofluid. All ferrofluid isn't Statorade. Grin Tech did a prolonged testing program to settle on the formula they sell.

If there were a problem with Grin Statorade, I expect we'd know what it is by now.

So if i use Statorade, it will never buildup or harden over time? Dont need to readd more?

DogDipstick said:
THere was a thread that referenced this problem, here on Endless sphere, bout a year ago. pictures and everything. I'll try to find it.

Yes im pretty sure i read somewhere or possibly youtube..ill have to search as well.

I've been using it for 2 or 3 years, yes you have to inject another 10 ml or so every year or so. I suppose it depends on how often you use your bike. I use mine almost everyday 10 miles per day. I think eventually it dries up/spreads around in the motor after a year or two.

I can see the carrier fluid having to be replaced, but don’t see how the iron particles would migrate away from the magnets, which is why I wonder what the carrier fluid’s contribution is, relative to the ferrous material.

velias said:
I've been using it for 2 or 3 years, yes you have to inject another 10 ml or so every year or so. I suppose it depends on how often you use your bike. I use mine almost everyday 10 miles per day. I think eventually it dries up/spreads around in the motor after a year or two.

How much power are you running through your motor for these 10 miles? Also, what motor do you have?

How hot do your ambient temps get?

How hot does your motor get with the Ferro fluid in there?

Here is a link but its not the one mentioning the hardening issue etc
https://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/v ... 0&t=105300

I have seen reports of it " balling up" inside when dry and destroyer the stator, by some long time riders at high powa. I'll try to find a link.

Here is an electric motorcycling group:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/electricmotorcyclebuilds/posts/2302907953179896/

Chalo said:

Yup. Well known problems. By now.

I don't do Facebook.

Are you taking about Grin Statorade, or something some guy sold on the internet? Whichever, I expect there will be problems if you boil it. That's a problem with the user, not the product.

Im not saying anything bad about Grins Statorade...just wondering how long one dose of 10ml will last and if you have to keep adding more and more at long intervals???

ebike11 said:
just wondering how long one dose of 10ml will last and if you have to keep adding more and more at long intervals???

Ferrofluid is a colloidal suspension of magnetic particles, so it has a fair amount of solids in it. I would not top it up very much before opening the motor to clean out the residue. The liquid carrier might vaporize or wick out, but the magnetic pixie dust isn't going to leave its favorite magnetic field without being coaxed.

If you can find out what the carrier fluid is, that's what I'd add rather than whole ferrofluid.

Back