• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

First E-board Build - Lightboard

emepror

10 mW
Hi guys, been lurking for a bit (yay first post) and planning on turning my board into an E-board in the next few weeks. I think i've got most of this stuff down now and i've come up with a list of parts. The plan is to use my board around campus, which has some small hills but mainly on flat land.

Link to a spreadsheet with everything im planning on getting:
http://goo.gl/XYOEAK

I've got nothing listed for a case yet, but the plan is to 3d print a case for everything and use Velcro straps to hold the case to the board.

Couple of questions I do have though,
-Looking at a 63mm SK3 213kv motor, reading off of most of the posts here, that should work fine for me I believe, correct? (180lb, flat areas, normal use)
-I've got a good handle on how all the wiring works, what I don't know is whether I should change the connectors on the batteries at all, and what should I use to connect the battery pack to the ESC? I figure just solder a connector w/ 4mm plugs on both ends to connect between the battery pack and the ESC and i'm good to go.
-Big Question: Am I missing anything, or should I do something differently?

Now its time to show off a bit, going to be calling this project the lightboard because of what im already working on, check this out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngfaHMqS7BI&list=UU1esDsIp3RLZLSAd9XOX-vA
I've got LED's strips along the side of the board programmed to "ground track" aka look like their stationary w/ the ground. A little more work on that project ( a lot of the bugs already worked out) and I think the E-board setup and the lights will be quite impressive :D

Thanks for any help guys, once everything checks out ill use this thread as a build thread.

Looks good to me...
Yes the 213kv motor is great. Works very well for me, gone up some relatively steep hills with it no problem. I would definitely avoid changing the connectors on the batteries though, just make a parallel connector to suit. I don't think your are missing anything there no. I like the lightboard idea, good luck with your build!
George

Thanks! Just ordered the wheels/trucks/bearings earlier today, probably going to get everything else on order soon too.

Be aware that the esc you selected needs a programming card to program it.
I believe that esc can be programmed from a card or the special usb adapter.

I picked up the programming card for the ESC too, only a couple dollars extra and saves my trouble in the long run. Now im just waiting for packages to show up, the hobbyking order is going to be interesting, the shipping address is right except for the zip code, going to have to track that package very carefully.

I got all of my parts! Started slowly assembling everything in between class. Looks like im going to have to either return my motor or figure out if an adapter plate can be made, the mounting bracket on the motor is 43mm and not 32mm like it said on HK's site which is very annoying. Also, what would be the best way to cut out the channel I need for the gear on the motor? I should have access to most tools on campus, not sure though.

Will post pictures of all the gear soon, ive got most of the powered truck assembled at this point (sans motor of course).

emepror said:
the mounting bracket on the motor is 43mm and not 32mm like it said on HK's site which is very annoying. Also, what would be the best way to cut out the channel I need for the gear on the motor? I should have access to most tools on campus, not sure though.

Will post pictures of all the gear soon, ive got most of the powered truck assembled at this point (sans motor of course).

Unfortunately, most RC motors the actual bolt spacing mounting measurements isn't always what they recommend. It's better to purchase the motor first and make the mount after.

For the motor shaft, you simply just need a flat spot for the set screw. If you want too you can create a keyway groove + flat spot which is better but a bit more difficult.

Looks like I've got the motor issue worked out, just need to use the mounting bracket that came with the motor and add some new properly spaced holes to that. Otherwise, the plan is to get the board up and running this weekend, and finally post some pictures.

Here's the wiring diagram I made for the project (aka got bored waiting for things to show up), does anyone have any suggestions on the way I plan on charging? The power "switch" with another parallel loop for the charger should work fine, but I've seen a couple of boards with just one plug. Not quite sure how to replicate that.
E-board.PNG

Back