First Ebike build need input

rogerc

1 W
Build 1.0 Electric Mountain Bike
Need help, advice and input for my first ebike build.
Currently riding an Emotion Neo Cross for the street and very mild trails. Love it and it works well for me so far but I want a second bike for rough fire roads that have long inclines and some mild single track riding.

I am starting with a 2006 Specialized Hardrock Sport with a Large frame.
It is a hardtail with RST Gilla Plus T6 front suspension and 8 speed rear sprocket.
Tektro "V" brakes, Specialized HR26 Alex Rims, 26 x2.20 Enduro Tires.

I am 60 years old, 6’3” and 230 lbs. and due to health issues (MS and arthritis) I can’t peddle the way I want.
I live in Northern California and have hundreds of good mountain bike trails very close and want to explore them.

What I want out of this build
1. I am not real mechanical but just ok and electrical concepts have me confused so I would like a quality kit that is pretty simple to install.
2. A Geared Rear Hub Motor already laced onto 26” wheel seems to fit my needs and my starter bike.
3. I don’t need to go over 22-24 mph but need to get my fat ass up some dirt inclines at a slow but steady pace. I want good torque not speed.
4. Would love to go 30 miles on a charge.
5. Want pedal assist as well as throttle.
6. Nice ride would be great but the bike I have is a hard tail.
7. Be nice to do the whole thing for under $1200 with bike already supplied.
8. Would like to buy locally or at least in the US or Canada.

Questions
1. What kits do the experts here recommend and where to buy?
2. What do you guys think of my starter bike? Should I get a different starter bike with rear suspension?
3. Does a 750 watt motor at 48 V with 15 Ah (or do I need 20 Ah) sound about right to reach my build requirement?

Any and all comments appreciated,
RC

Far from expert, but my 2 cents -- your basic bike looks fine, pair it with a 12T MAC motor and 15Ah of NCM batteries from EM3EV and you will be in hog heaven. I'll send some more detail on my similar build tomorrow when I'm on proper computer. I live in San Mateo, you are welcome to come up and take a test ride on mine if you'd like.

For heavier trails and big battery i would go full suspension, otherwise your just building another heavier neocross.

I started with a couple of lighter xc bikes, but soon realized a good dual suspension, downhill bike is the secret when electrified and trail riding.

I absolutely love riding my bike firetrails or urban assault (i mean commuting)

It could carry 30 Ah 48v, thats 50 miles cruising no pedalling

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=51634

The best hub motors I know of for what you want to do are the slower winding versions.

I don't know of good vendors for these slow motors in NA, because in the US we seem obsessed with more speed at any price, rather than climbing the steepest hills.

Go to EM3ev. Yes, he's in China, but this guy speaks English as a first language, and has won a lot of respect on this forum. You can send a thou to him, with no fear of a rip off.

He's got the slow motors, the one I would recommend is the direct drive rear motor, in the slowest 10T winding. This motor climbs great. Run it on "48" volts, and up to 30 amps. Get your battery from em3 or from pingbattery.com. You will be able to climb some very steep roads and trails, but keep an eye on motor temps. Even this motor will get hot, so you can't just climb slopes above 10% grades all day. Under 10%, you should have no problems. When climbing, pedal as much as you can, trying to keep the bike moving 10-12 mph or more. Your top speed on 48v will be about 20 mph.

A 48v 15 ah ping should fit into the triangle space of your bike, if it won't, then get one of em3ev's triangle shape batteries and bag. That will get you 30 miles of flat riding, or more like up 10 miles of steep riding, and 10 free miles back down.

Great information everyone, appreciate you sharing your knowledge.
Footloose, may take you up on your offer to check out your build in person. Seeing a completed bike really helps with a build.
This info has really helped and with a lot more research hope to be ordering in the next few weeks. Still a lot to learn and decide on.
RC

http://www.ebikessf.com/catalog/52
Either of the H40 motors will do what you want.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kV-PCvE2fKY

48V 15Ah is ok for a 170lbs guys to drive about 30 miles. But I will still recommand you to use because it is also easier to put in on a bike. 48V 20Ah is a little too big.
Besides, make sure the battery pack can provide at lease continuous 40A discharge. This is very important for climbing of a 750W motor. It will avoid over heat of Batteries management system.

Hi Try the link below these guys are in canada

http://www.ebikes.ca/store/store_ezee.php

There kits do what it says on the TIN

Frank

I have the same problems - age, weight and arthritis! I'm also in Northern California and here is the kit I will suggest to you http://california-ebike.com/product/sierra-climber-high-torque-geared-motor-kit/
I've converted the Giant bikes before and they are very simple as long as you install on the rear. A 48v - 15Ah battery 5c rated should do the job for you if you are able to do some of the pedaling.
Good luck!

Back