Frame

B_c

10 W
Hi,

I have this frame with 135 mm dropouts. I'm wondering which hub is intended for this frame, and what are these two holes for ? The distance from the center of one hole to the center of the other hole is approximately 35-36 mm. The frame is the same as the one on this page, by the way:

Thank you in advance for your response.

Attachments

• frame_l.JPG
    frame_l.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 38
  • bild.jpg
    bild.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 28
  • sb.png
    sb.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 14
Last edited:
All the pictures of that bike model I can find show a Shimano Nexus 8 rear hub. That's no help in identifying the unusual tab on the left side dropout.

Beefier connection for rear rack than usual maybe?
Screenshot_20231208-122107.png
Some rear racks have batteries so can be pretty heavy.

I have seen some bikes that mount the batteries down there too:
Rear_Rack.jpg
gepaecktraeger.jpg
So might be handy for that. Probably less top heavy if they are closer to the ground.

Thanks,
This is a response from a seller on eBay.de:
"There is an extended outer part. The two holes are for mounting a disc brake caliper. My colleague suggests that an Alfine should fit".

I generally want to mount an Alfine 8 or 11 on that frame, and of course, with a disc brake.

That picture is just off an internet search for that frame.

Personally, I do have a Nexus hub with the roller brake, though. Doesn't use any mounting holes there:
PXL_20231208_214656727.MP.jpg

For now, I know that I can use the Nexus 8 freewheel and rim brake, and maybe the Nexus 8 with a coaster brake, but not the Alfine 8,11 with a disc brake until the seller specifies which adapter they use for this frame.

I would like to maybe continue with a different bicycle frame like the one in the picture and ask if anyone knows a website where I can buy it. I tried on Alibaba, but they seem interested only in selling in larger quantities, even though it says on the website that you can order just one piece.

Attachments

• frame_1.jpg
    frame_1.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
To complete with these three photos and to mention that the Nexus 8 freewheel and Nexus 8 coaster brake can be mounted on this unusual frame. With a spacer placed between the frame and the coaster arm, it is possible to mount the Nexus 8 coaster brake as well.

When I go to sleep tonight, I will wonder how the designer intended and why they still included two holes in that frame that no one knows why they are there. Perhaps there are other hubs that I am not familiar with.

nexus8_distance.JPGnexus8.JPGnexus_wheel.JPG

Last edited:
I have a couple of frames with the same holes. Always assumed they were for kickstands. The mystery to me was why they’re countersunk.

Those two holes you are mentioning are indeed for kickstands.

sb.jpg

I wonder about these other holes down in the picture.

Attachments

• frame_l.JPG
    frame_l.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Sorry, I wasn’t paying enough attention.

Those ones. Only on left side? They’re too weak for a trailer hitch attachment, so couldn’t be anything other than an intended disk brake mount. They probably messed them up, then went back and added the rim brake bosses on the seat stays so that they didn’t have to scrap the entire production run.

I think I will continue with this bicycle frame and order the Alfine 8. If I manage to make an adapter for the disc brake, it will be okay, and if not, I can use a rim brake.

I saw on eBay that there is also a Nexus 8 with both a coaster brake and a disc brake option on the same hub:

nexus8.jpg

This will be my project to create a nice bicycle with:

Bafang G311 front hub motor
VESC
Torque sensor T9 or T17
Controller
Kunteng, Focan or Bafang display

I already have a folding bike with VESC and a torque sensor, and I can control many things with the web server on the controller, as you can see in the pictures below.

IMG_4029.JPG

Last edited:
I received a response from the seller stating that the company manufacturing bicycle frames has gone bankrupt. Unfortunately, we cannot know the reason for these holes.

I received a response from the seller stating that the company manufacturing bicycle frames has gone bankrupt. Unfortunately, we cannot know the reason for these holes.
It seems plausible that they're for a disc brake caliper. What doesn't make sense is that they aren't International Standard dimensions, so there would have to be an adapter piece to reconcile the mounting holes with any bicycle caliper I'm aware of (IS, Sachs Power Disc, Hayes 22mm, flat mount, Mountain Cycle Pro Stop).

On a related note, the disc rotor mounting pattern on that Nexus 8 coaster/disc hub is unlike any I've seen to date.

Thank you for the response, Chalo. It's probably as you say. I gave up on the Nexus hub because it's only sold in a 32-hole version, and all my rims are 36-hole. Also, it's black, while my Bafang G311 is on the way from China and is silver.

Sometimes I like to write something that is not relevant to this thread and to say that I ordered a "Smart Bicycle Alarm Rear Tail Light Radar Bike Cycling Sensor Taillight," and I really like it because it can detect all vehicles and cyclists behind me. And of course, that is its purpose.

radar.png

Back