Free Daymak Beast - Going to max this "Beast" out

Braddudya

100 W
I got this Daymak Beast for free. It has the 60v lead acid and some genius zip tied a 60v lithium ion battery under the seat as well. I'm am guessing the SLA battery is dead so they just added another lithium battery and kept lugging around all the lead haha.

PXL_20231019_180129286.jpg

The wheel motor says "500w" which I hope is not the true stock power! I am going to throw 72v of A123 lifepo4 cells in this and try one of the newer VESC controllers. Maybe a flipsky 75350 because they are so cheap!

Anyone have any idea what kind of power this motor can handle? My plan is to just throw power at it and see how it holds up in terms of heat but I don't want to waste my time if these motors don't respond decently!

Thanks all

Sorry I don't have the answer to your question but my question is: Can you pedal-only power it fast enough to make the handlebar end streamers fly? :)

Make it ride, handle and steer properly first unless you want to mud bog it like every fat bike rider I see out there.

That looks like a very nice gift you got for free!
Hope you update your conversion to LFP with more V&A here (with lots of pics) so we can see how it will work.
Good luck!

You could change the tires and rims in size or width to suit a better smooth rider experience, main question is whats the setup going to be and how fast do you want to go?

edit
Think about Tire grip and surfaces it will ride on. I dont particularly like riding over large river rock. Track it, spike it like the moto hill climbers with inch studs.Upgrading motor, look at cost, it might be in your best interest to jump 80$ for more watts. But dont be fooled by their ads. The will claim the same motor as 250w as 1000w, unscrupulous sellers are ambundent. The Leaf 35h is 1500w, is a wise choice for dd. Geared hub you cant go wrong with Mac, gmac for regen/e-brakeing (hills) if you go hub, Cyclone has some huge power for cheap sold as mid drive ebicycle, qs/mxus for the big power dd's or you can use the hub to as a mid drive motor, then gear it proper with tire size, kv of motor, battery voltage. It all works together.

Put a motor where the rear bag is to the rear sprocket?
Keep the low power hub in place?
Interesting setup high power + low power, your choice..... you rocking hills or cruising the camp ground?

Here are some solid choices I'd seriously look at.

- lots of stuff, take a look

Electric bike motor | eBike conversion kit | Brushless hub motor Leaf - true "1500w" 35mm 35h hub and more etc

Changzhou Mxus Imp.&Exp. Co., Ltd. - 3kw, 5kw dd's, etc

PSWPOWER.com - Professional Electric Bicycle Parts - low pwer, kt's etc

gmac for geared hub regen

cyclone-tw website

Last edited:
Anyone have any idea what kind of power this motor can handle? My plan is to just throw power at it and see how it holds up in terms of heat but I don't want to waste my time if these motors don't respond decently!
The 500w nominal rating seems accurate for this implementation, even if it’s a 12lb motor, for a few reasons.
1. it’ll be spending much of it’s time at low RPM trying to get all that weight up to speed
2. The tire traps heat in
3. Poor airflow (due to motor location and slow vehicle speed)

1000w or more might be doable using it as a vented mid-drive combined with fast tires and all the dead weight (e.g. cranks) stripped off.

My plan for this was just for fun. I am in Reno NV so there are lots of off-road trails. I really hope this thing can handle a lot more than 1000w! Maybe statoraid can help!

If this thing is really going to be that limited I may just get it running and sell it. I already have 2 electric pit bike projects in the works. I figured this would be super easy to get some decent power but maybe not.

Maybe I will just throw power at it and see what happens. I can always keep the stock controller and if it doesn't perform I can use the new controller for something else. I would like to try the flipsky 75350 controller.

Last edited:
Fair enough.

You can dump a heap of power into that motor. It’s just hard to see where the heat can dissipate. There’s only the side covers exposed, and they’re shielded from any real airflow by the tire and swingarm.

There needs to an equilibrium between heat generated and dissipated.

Statoraid is probably not the answer to this one. You need to transfer the heat to the side covers, or vent the hot air, so more likely should be looking at either a heavily fill of water or ATF, or a combination of vents/ducts/fans.

It’s not the approach I’d take though. You’ve got room on the swingarm for that motor. So I’d use it there, to chain drive a regular hub. That way you can adapt the gearing, and in that location and without the tire it’ll see better airflow and statoraid could do it’s thing.

That said, the pit bikes will still likely be more fun to ride.

That thing would be an absolute swamp beast making it 2wd with those tires.

That thing would be an absolute swamp beast making it 2wd with those tires.
That is a very interesting idea. They did make a 2wd version but this is just the single. I wonder how hard it would be to find the matching front wheel hub motor! There are some great dual motor VESC controllers as well. If anyone know where to find this hub this could make for a more exciting build.

Make it a sand-runner for the dunes or the beaches with a suitable trailer cart for "essential supplies" ;)
or an ohv trail rig with an offroad bob-trailer (one-wheel) for "over-landing" between tight spaces (trees and bush)
add bike spiked tires for a snow pack/iced lake/ice-fishing setup
Fabricate/build a track system for the deep pow in the farmlands or back country
build a hill climber like the official sport where they have dirt motorcycles with extended rear ends, 2" spikes to dig into hill dirt
whatever it is your into!

I just want to make is fun. Ill throw some extra power at it and see what it seems like it can handle. Its going to need a battery reguardless.

Back