• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Front Hub Motor w/ Springer Suspension?

ecowheelz

100 W
Could I install a 36v 500w front hub motor on this a Nirve Fifty-Three w/ springer front suspension? I want to setup an eye-catching display for our shop, but I'm not sure if this would work or not...

41inOQgQaqL._AA280_.jpg

http://www.nirve.com/mens.asp?cat=cruiser&cid=548

I have this setup with my trike. i had to weld in brake posts but there apears to be front brakes already on the one in the picture. My setup works great and no problems at all. the spring absorbs the torque when starting. My trike is 450 lb with me.

If it has a good steel dropout, why wouldn't it? As long as you have a nice flat spot to fit the washers or torqe arms.

dogman said:
If it has a good steel dropout, why wouldn't it? As long as you have a nice flat spot to fit the washers or torqe arms.

The problem is, I have to buy this bike online and I can't personally inspect the dropouts first. I know they're steel, but that's it (it's hard to see anything in the pictures). I was hoping someone had experience with one of these Nirve cruiser bikes - or a bike with a similar springer suspension.

Hi, why take a chance? With the ease of picture transmission why not ask them to take some pictures and email them to you? JAT :)

I've been wanting to put one of these on my cruiser for some time (also with a 500w front hub motor) - glad to hear it's been done successfully before. Now I just have to scrape the cash...

Most of the ones I have looked at in internet pix look like they'd work. If it looks dicey, torque arms.

Some of the cheaper retro-springer front ends are flimsy and break even without a front hubber. But if its a Nirve, I'm thinking it'd be one of the better ones.?

Does having a coaster brake provide any problems? Obviously, brake inhibitors can't be used if there's no brake handles. Otherwise, it shouldn't really matter, right? Other than you can turn the throttle and accidentally brake at the same time...

ecowheelz said:
Does having a coaster brake provide any problems? Obviously, brake inhibitors can't be used if there's no brake handles. Otherwise, it shouldn't really matter, right? Other than you can turn the throttle and accidentally brake at the same time...

I run a coaster brake in conjunction with U-brakes front and back. I actually really like the convenience of the coaster for when I need to lose just a little speed, in a corner or what-have-you. I do not use inhibitor brake levers, and have been riding every day for about a year with no issues that would have been ameliorated by brake inhibitors.

Back