Front Hub Motor with Shimano Mid Drive Advice

If you ride mountain trails, a front hub will be an horrible handling nuisance. And, your small battery will have a very short range powering both motors.

The best solution is to build with a faster, more powerful BB drive, or to trick yours as some had succeeded making it much faster.

The 2nd motor solution must be on the rear in order to make it a good ride.

In all cases, you will need a bigger battery to achieve your goal.

You can 'mountain bike' with a front hub motor, but yes it's pretty annoying downhill. If it's just casual it will be fine. Just remember that it's going to understeer. The handling is actually not that bad, it's the understeer that is really bad, the wheel just does not want to turn correctly in dirt over about 8-10 mph downhill. The same reason why the older 90's front-drive cars can't do a racetrack, they are just fine on the street but not a real track.

You can 'mountain bike' with a front hub motor, but yes it's pretty annoying downhill. If it's just casual it will be fine. Just remember that it's going to understeer. The handling is actually not that bad, it's the understeer that is really bad, the wheel just does not want to turn correctly in dirt over about 8-10 mph downhill. The same reason why the older 90's front-drive cars can't do a racetrack, they are just fine on the street but not a real track.
Thank you. I have a commuter e-bike with a Bosch motor. I just want to have a bit more consistency uphills. I want to add a hub with regen so when going downhills I don't have to use the break as much and maybe regen some battery. Can I see a picture of what you did? Can you give me some advice?

Thank you. I have a commuter e-bike with a Bosch motor. I just want to have a bit more consistency uphills. I want to add a hub with regen so when going downhills I don't have to use the break as much and maybe regen some battery. Can I see a picture of what you did? Can you give me some advice?

I thought about combining a front hub and mid-drive but decided against it. It really sounds like you simply need more power. If you are just doing street riding, a ton of people on here can recommend 1000W+ direct drives for the front.

The bike is made the way it is at 250 w mid drive use it as you bought it.
If you want a 750 watt or 1000 w bafang with 52v battery and thumb throttle. Build one.
You're 36 volt 250 w bike is what it is..
But in your part of the country they might like oil and gas better than electric bikes and tickets you for going over 20 mph but I doubt it.

The bike is made the way it is at 250 w mid drive use it as you bought it.
If you want a 750 watt or 1000 w bafang with 52v battery and thumb throttle. Build one.
You're 36 volt 250 w bike is what it is..
But in your part of the country they might like oil and gas better than electric bikes and tickets you for going over 20 mph but I doubt it.
I am not trying to get more speed, I have no problem with the 32 km I have. What I am trying to get is a bit of consistency from my bike when going uphills and use the regen as breaks when going down the hill. I love the bike I have and I wanna make it better. I don't really see anything wrong with what I am trying to do. The OEMs should be buiding like these.

How old is your bike you just would like more power going up hills without peddling ? And to have a throttle ?
The throttle can only give as much power as the controller can demand from the battery and in the factory settings for range and battery life they set it up certain ways for long battery life and long battery use.
So you use it as a pedal bike and you put it in a low gear and use your assist on number five paddling up the hill and you're having trouble ?
I asked how old the bike to know if it's still under factory warranty ? And if so if you want to keep the factory warranty you have to live within the factory rules.

How old is your bike you just would like more power going up hills without peddling ? And to have a throttle ?
The throttle can only give as much power as the controller can demand from the battery and in the factory settings for range and battery life they set it up certain ways for long battery life and long battery use.
So you use it as a pedal bike and you put it in a low gear and use your assist on number five paddling up the hill and you're having trouble ?
I asked how old the bike to know if it's still under factory warranty ? And if so if you want to keep the factory warranty you have to live within the factory rules.
The bike is about a year; It has 250 watts Bosch mid-drive. I love pedaling, I don't really need a throttle, I don't know how to use one.
I have a question.
When having a throttle do you have to pedal or does the pedal help?
If I have the minimum assistance on the hub, can I pedal as much as I can? will the hub ask for current and drag?

Yes a front hub has drag. Whether a geared or even more drag with a DD motor, direct drive. Plus the weight and I would like to put up front hub on my aluminum shock but I dare not after seeing so many failures do you have an aluminum front shock ?
If your past your warranty you can use a dongle on the older bikes you can put a dongle in and it had a plug for it. Your speedo will be changed. As I remember it somehow fooled the controller and it demanded more watts from the battery making a more powerful bike but the speedo be funny. And it voids your warranty.
But that's the best easiest way to do it they used to be around $100. As you have a newer bike Bosch mid drive system they might have not left those wires exposed or out there so you would not be able to plug it in if they changed.
I got a bosched e-bike diploma I never framed it appear on the wall and I never worked on these bikes except for when the local shop had trouble and that wasn't very often. I remember they had the dongle and they couldn't figure out how to plug it in and I said just plug it right here and they were scared they looked at that plugged all day and they wouldn't plug it in I plug it in yeah it worked but the speedometer didn't read property.
I did this talk to text and I'll try to read it but it's still talk to text good luck any questions let me know.

Plus endless sphear has a thread on the dongle

Last edited:
From what I understand you want more power going up a hill and to have a twist throttle for a different respon

Yes a front hub has drag. Whether a geared or even more drag with a DD motor, direct drive. Plus the weight and I would like to put up front hub on my aluminum shock but I dare not after seeing so many failures do you have an aluminum front shock ?
If your past your warranty you can use a dongle on the older bikes you can put a dongle in and it had a plug for it. Your speedo will be changed. As I remember it somehow fooled the controller and it demanded more watts from the battery making a more powerful bike but the speedo be funny. And it voids your warranty.
But that's the best easiest way to do it they used to be around $100. As you have a newer bike Bosch mid drive system they might have not left those wires exposed or out there so you would not be able to plug it in if they changed.
I got a bosched e-bike diploma I never framed it appear on the wall and I never worked on these bikes except for when the local shop had trouble and that wasn't very often. I remember they had the dongle and they couldn't figure out how to plug it in and I said just plug it right here and they were scared they looked at that plugged all day and they wouldn't plug it in I plug it in yeah it worked but the speedometer didn't read property.
I did this talk to text and I'll try to read it but it's still talk to text good luck any questions let me know.

Plus endless sphear has a thread on the dongle
Oh, I forgot that option. I have the new smart system, I will read a bit more about it. Thank you for all the info.

Did you read my questions could you answer them please. Do you have an aluminum front fork ? Did you just want more power for going up the hill. Knowing that you have a pedal only bike.

Back