FS MTB RC FD

def215

10 kW
d3d6539c.jpg

Schweet! I'm going to be building something similar for my Nephew's birthday soon! :mrgreen: I might have to ... ermmm borrow some of your ideas! :wink:

I was thinking of putting a 24V razzor poket bike motor onto his green machine (he's only 12 and I don't want to put it on something he might be too tempted to ride on the road, just want it to be something he uses in the yard, and has low power, and maybe he will work harder just pedaling around the SLA, but he will get exercise that way with out realizing it! 8) :p :twisted: ) but I don't think it's feasible.

I found an Electra 20 inch coaster brake cruiser that I might use instead. :D

Woah. That video made me feel a bit motion sick.... Ugghhhhh.

Anwyay. Good work. Looking forward to see how it goes. :D

BTW. How do you engage the roller with the tyre?

- Adrian

[EDIT] P.S. You might want a rear tire that has a wider flat portion in the middle for the roller to engage with.

thanks adrian! yeah, the video isnt so great

the drive i have is sort of like a clutch-type setup, similar to a goped bigfoot model(where i got the idea from). its a lot like a manual clutch.the weather is like 30 degrees F out and just snowed again, but i thought it would be a good idea to take it in the snow and run it. lets just say that its not working at the moment due to damage from melted snow :cry:. but for when it did work, it was fantastic. so now i need a new controller. ill most likely replace it with the same kind of controller i was using, which is the mystery 80a model. if i didnt screw it up, im sure it would work flawlessly.
heres how the drive looks:
1bf4006d.jpg

the cable pulls on the plate that is mounted to the frame which engages the roller
7c0d2560.jpg

the cable is a car choke cable. it seems to work good.
7ca4f350.jpg

thanks adrian, i took your advice on using a smoother tire and it works better now

im using an exceed motor, 50-55 sized and 670kv. yeah the kv is a little high and i bought the wrong motor. i noticed that you and alot of others use a 63mm sized motor and im starting to think that i made a mistake. so i thought i run a small roller on it, like a .650 inch, which might compensate for the high kv. i also took your advice adrian and swapped my tire for a more of a road tire. thanks for the input, i only done friction-drive on scooters but never a bike, so ill need guidance on this :)

Sorry to hear about the failure. Was it just the ESC that blew. Wonder if the high kV contributed?

I love the simplisity of your cable actuation. Means you can easily disengage, as well as adjust the amount of engagement. I needed to play around with all sorts of geometry, springs, dead-stops and what not to get mine to work.

- Adrian

def215 said:
the drive i have is sort of like a clutch-type setup, similar to a goped bigfoot model(where i got the idea from). its a lot like a manual clutch.
Looks to be an excellent idea. 8) When you get it working again, please post some video showing the cable engagement & roller going onto the tire. ES members would love to see this working up-close in detail & in action :!: :wink:

Thanks! :D

adrian_sm said:
Sorry to hear about the failure. Was it just the ESC that blew. Wonder if the high kV contributed?

I love the simplisity of your cable actuation. Means you can easily disengage, as well as adjust the amount of engagement. I needed to play around with all sorts of geometry, springs, dead-stops and what not to get mine to work.

- Adrian

thanks. i actually like the idea of the automatic engagement of evtodd, kepler, your drive, and i know there are a few more out there that do that also. i opted to do the clutch-like setup because i knew i didnt have the tools or materials to make one that would automatically engage, or i wouldnt know where to start. i wanted to use the ideas of previously successful ideas and try to get it to work, because i know goped used a similar system on one of their scooters and it was in production for quite a while. :wink:

it was just the esc that blew up, because when i took it out that one day, and got snow on it, it started cogging real bad, so i brought it inside and i stared at it for a bit and it was just soaked. so i wiped it off and tried to power it up and thats when it gave me the magic smoke, and about a good hour of the lingering smell of burning electronics :roll:

so i learned(i should say re-learn for some of them...lol) a valuable lesson that day, 1) heat-shrink is on electronic things for a reason, 2) keep my electronics away from water, 3) learn how to use a blowdryer just in case something like this happens again. :lol:

thats the thing about the high-kv motor. im running a 5/8 inch roller to compensate for the high kv(670kv), and i know some of you guys are using the actual motor can, which is like 2 1/2 inches(the 63-series motors, ~200kv). im hoping using the small-sized roller compensates, sorta like gearing down so i can rev it out. i calculated that ill get around 17-20mph on it if my calculations are correct

deVries said:
def215 said:
the drive i have is sort of like a clutch-type setup, similar to a goped bigfoot model(where i got the idea from). its a lot like a manual clutch.
Looks to be an excellent idea. 8) When you get it working again, please post some video showing the cable engagement & roller going onto the tire. ES members would love to see this working up-close in detail & in action :!: :wink:

Thanks! :D

ill try to post video of it once its working again, which should be like 4 more weeks, since i ordered another esc, which is the same one i had on there, the mystery 80a pentium controller. im starting to think that i shouldnt run it on a fully charged 24v sla pack :?:

in the mean time, the bmx works if i want to ride, but the weather is still crap :(

Back