100 kW

Attachments

• Trek 9200.jpg
    Trek 9200.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 2,028
  • fsr comp.jpg
    fsr comp.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 2,030
I'm not sure on the year. I googled the Trek and it seems pretty old school. Maybe late 90s vintage? The fsr would be a little harder to convert. Plus it looks used pretty hard but I can do whatever mods I have to. As long as the rear shock is OK

As far as I can tell searching they are both mid to late 90s. I def like the FSR. I would have to get creative with the batt. box. Probably something alongside and under the frame in front. We'll see if someone will call me back :p When I get one I will be setting it up with a 20 inch 9C in the rear ala Drbass although it will be far from his caliber of machine.

Been finding a little more info on the 9200 It has been called a museum piece :shock: It sounds like the rear shock is an elastomer of some sort. The guy did call me back so I will look at it. Says it is a 94 I think. I hope I hear back on the FSR :mrgreen:

Despite the much poorer battery placement on the Specialized, it blows the Trek out of the water. It just depends on what's more important to you, battery placement or good suspension. I have a similar, but perhaps a year or two younger FSR, and it freaking rocks. The age of it may require you to replace both the front forks and the rear shock. A new rear shock for the FSR is a bit harder to find than others, but chain reaction cycles has it for about $100. I had to get one for mine.

The trek has a simple pivot suspension, fine in its day, but to prevent pogo you have to set it up hard as a rock. Prob how a 15 year old elastomer is anyway. :) In other words, it will either bob a lot, or feel like a hardtail. The FSR however, has a very sophisticated rear suspension linkage with multiple pivot points that nearly elimiates pedal bob, even when set up very soft. You won't want it too soft, with a motor on there, but nevertheless it will really suck up the pavement cracks like they are just painted lines. Primitve suspension helps a lot, but you'll still feel every crack. Even if you don't pedal hard that much, when you need to a lot of pedal bob sucks.

Back to battery placement, if you are going to use lipo, it won't be so hard to make small boxes to strap to the frame. If you have a big headway pack, you'd HAVE to have that triangle space.

It's true though, making a torque plate for the rear drops of the trek is not going to be easy as pie. But it's a lot easier, when you buy magudamans torque plate. See the CNC thead in for sale new for a look.

Yep, Got a call back on the fsr. I hope it is still there. Like said, it will be harder to mod but worth it. Wish me luck :D

Yay, Got the fsr. That sucker is so light. Def. gonna need some custom torque arms. Not much meat back there. And it is only 140 mm between drops but we will figure it out. It has been upgraded with a Rockshok Judy fork that has disc mounts so that is good. Had to give full price $250.00 but this bike was over $1000.00 new I am sure so I think I did good. Got my spokes ordered tonight !! Probably be starting a thread next week. I am stoked !! :mrgreen:

So the front fork is a Judy SL U-turn. The specs show 70-115 mm travel. Travel is the only thing that is adjustable.
It is some kind of a Rock Shox rear shock. It has some stiction? when you first push down but once in motion seems smooth. The PO had it cranked down really tight. I loosened it up and have started oiling all the pivots.
It looks like the rear is going to be about a 1/4 inch too narrow so whatever kind of torque plates I fab may have to be fastened to the outside which will probably end up stretching the wheelbase a little.

Has anyone here ever used this particular model for a rear hub?

I passed on the Trek and got the Specialized. Now I need to find some bmx style handlebars. I don't like leaning over so much. I need to be a little more upright :D

I did the same thing for one of my mtb's, I got nice aluminum ("Flyte", I think) ones from Niagara Cycle Supply, they've got a great on-line catalogue. Aluminum bars are a LOT lighter than the steel ones. You'll have to probably extend all your cables, but that's a good thing if the bike's been well used. Have fun :mrgreen:

Finally a couple pics of the torque arms. I got brave and filed the hub axle flats on the freewheel side. The hub was too wide to get any washers on the inside. I recut and hand filed the flats about a 1/4 inch farther down the axle. I plan on running a single speed freewheel so I hope this works.
Now I can fit 1/8 steel torque arms on the inside-both sides. I want to fab a pinch mount of some sort but haven't yet. This setup will give me 1/2 inch of steel contact area plus the alum. dropout so probably ok.

Attachments

• a torque arm.JPG
    a torque arm.JPG
    39.8 KB · Views: 1,927
  • a hub on.JPG
    a hub on.JPG
    48.1 KB · Views: 1,925
Got my first battery box semi done today. I clamped the 20 ga. sheetmetal to the edge of my osb table and slowly bent my 90s with a sledge. It actually came out pretty square. I riveted it together from the inside to keep things smooth in there. I may actually rivet it to the bike after I paint it. I used auto-door edge trim on the edges. It'll fit 4 - 5s bricks, probably 6s also. I plan on making one for the other side. Then I can carry 15s x 10 ah. :D with room to spare. I'm pooped :wink:

Attachments

• a batbox.JPG
    a batbox.JPG
    46.2 KB · Views: 1,907
I was hoping this would be the update showing the bike running but: Not sure what I did :oops: The only oops I had was when after unhooking the batteries the leads to the controller touched each other causing a spark from the charged caps. No go now and it cogs if you spin the motor backwards with the controller hooked up. Any ideas what it might have fried? :cry: Really sad cause I am out of money for this project right now.

Ok, I didn't kill my controller after all. I have no clue what happened but I hooked it up to test and wa-la it works. :? Took it out for its maiden voyage with no rear brakes :shock: I stayed in the alley.. I can say the 6x10 likes a 20 inch wheel. It only runs approx. 17 mph. on 15s but man is the front end light now. Now I need to get a freewheel. I just plan to run a single. Almost ready for the dirt trails :mrgreen: It looks a little funny with a 20 on back. If I get a chance I may put a 20 on front with disc and maybe some short bmx cranks. It will have to wait for now though.

It's been fun building my first wheel. Took my time and it seems pretty round :mrgreen: Got a nice offset to the drive side with 74 and 78 mm. spokes.

Attachments

• fsr offset.JPG
    fsr offset.JPG
    56.6 KB · Views: 1,661
Nice lookin conversion Torker, I think I have the same kind of suspension on mine. The handling is awesome even at 35+mph, just wish I had disc brakes. If I have to stop in a hurry - I'm a dead man.... :twisted:

Maybe I should call it Frankenbike. 8) And I need to thank everyone who helped with parts.

The "crusty old hub" is from Methods.
The wheel is from Ypedal.
The spokes from JRH.
One of my chargers is from Spinningmagnets.
The controller and throttle is from my first 9C kit.
The well used bike is from Craigslist.

Still a lot of refining to do. I will build a second sheet metal battery cradle and come up with a cover for both. I still need to swing by the LBS and pick up a freewheel. And I would like to try a Magura full twist throttle. Plus my controller won't regen till I burn off 2 or 3 volts and that is my only rear brakes right now. :shock: It starts to regen at 60 volts so I really need to save for a controller..and more Lipo :twisted:

Ok ,Another update. Caution: If you mill the axle flats like I did you can't even fit a five speed freewheel. It put the axle flat shoulder inside the freewheel about 4 mm. I planned on running a single anyway. I also borrowed the front quick release 20 inch from my recumbent and it rides/handles much better and doesn't try to wheelie quite so much. I will need to get the shorter cranks for sure or I may fab up some kind of footpegs for now. I am really loving this 6x10 in a 20 inch. It still runs approx. 17-18 mph. on 15s but the low speed thrust is amazing. I don't have to lean so far forward with dual 20 inch wheels but you still have to watch it down low. The front end is extremely light :twisted: :mrgreen: Also I have to get a bigger saddle :x :oops:

Attachments

• FSR dual 20 inch.JPG
    FSR dual 20 inch.JPG
    48.4 KB · Views: 1,636
Got the front brakes working. I traded the old 26" wheels for a brand new Tektro setup. Robbed the saddle from my other bike and removed the cranks till I can get some 155 mm. bmx cranks. The 175s were just too close to the ground.
aleftFSR4-11.jpg

New hi watt reading today. Front wheel in the air leaving the gas station :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
a3317wattrun.jpg

And a pic of the rt. side.
anFSRrtside.jpg

I am loving the thrust of 60v in a 20" I need to get a 36h disc hub and lace the other rim I got from you for the front. I "borrowed" this wheel from my recumbent. This is a super low budget build right now. The bike itself was the biggest investment.

Bike 250
Hub 50
Spokes 65 I screwed up on the length and had to order another 18 to get it offset right. :roll:
Rim 20
Tire 20
Tube 10
Freewheel 10
Controller 50 It is actually my first Ebikekit controller but figure it would cost me 50 to buy one.
Throttle etc.20
Batteries 120 three 5s 5000 Mah
Charger 30 I actually have 2 80 w chargers. The used Turnigy cost me 30
Wire &
Connectors 30
Wattmeter 30
705 dollars so far

Not too bad. I do plan to get another hub and spokes and lace up my other 20 dollar rim for the front plus another tire and tube and get some bmx cranks and sprocket and 3 more batteries for 10 Ah total so that will add about 280 more dollars.

That will put me right at 1000 dollars. Still not too bad for a full suss. bike that RIPS :twisted: , does about 20+ mph. (my speedo is showing 25 - I gotta check it ) and should get me at least 10 mi. range. Plus the wheelies are priceless :shock:

Back