Funny or not funny, screeching rear tire to scare people?

Offroader

1 MW
I'm putting this right in the toxic discussions because I don't know what kind of feedback I'll get on this.

I don't know why I do this but I can't help myself.

I have a 3" motorcycle tire on my rear that I keep at a low PSI, if I squeeze hard on my rear brake and at the same time use full regen, my rear tire screeches very loud as my rear wheel locks up. The regen and brake combo really lock up the rear easily.

When I see anyone in the street not paying attention, either standing out in the street talking, working on the car, talking to someone, fixing a flat tire, walking really slowly to cross the street, just really anything if they are not looking or paying attention. What I will do is just lock up my rear wheel as I go past them.

Because they are in the street they immediately think that a car is coming at them and slamming its brakes as if its trying to not hit them, because the screeching is so loud. It scares the crap out of them :lol: . I especially like to get the guys changing a flat tire because they already feel exposed by being out on the street like that, so it makes it even worse.

I'm just wondering if you guys think this is funny or not funny? If someone did it to you would you be pissed, say you were changing a flat tire, or would you just laugh it off?

I'd be pissed that someone tried to scare me for no reason.

Makes other people's day worse ( especially the person stranded on the road ), with no real benefit to you.

How do you feel when drivers honk at you to scare you?

Offroader said:
I'm putting this right in the toxic discussions because I don't know what kind of feedback I'll get on this.

I don't know why I do this but I can't help myself.

I have a 3" motorcycle tire on my rear that I keep at a low PSI, if I squeeze hard on my rear brake and at the same time use full regen, my rear tire screeches very loud as my rear wheel locks up. The regen and brake combo really lock up the rear easily.

When I see anyone in the street not paying attention, either standing out in the street talking, working on the car, talking to someone, fixing a flat tire, walking really slowly to cross the street, just really anything if they are not looking or paying attention. What I will do is just lock up my rear wheel as I go past them.

Because they are in the street they immediately think that a car is coming at them and slamming its brakes as if its trying to not hit them, because the screeching is so loud. It scares the crap out of them :lol: . I especially like to get the guys changing a flat tire because they already feel exposed by being out on the street like that, so it makes it even worse.

I'm just wondering if you guys think this is funny or not funny? If someone did it to you would you be pissed, say you were changing a flat tire, or would you just laugh it off?

amberwolf said:
How do you feel when drivers honk at you to scare you?

I remember this 18 wheeler blasted his horn on the highway for no reason at all. That was years ago and it was so loud it scared the crap out of me. Nobody was around so I have no idea why he would have done that other than to scare me.

I still laugh at it because he got me, if that was his intention.

I just don't know if people really take stuff like this so personally after they realize it was a joke.

Odd thing is my father told me that when he was young he used to purposely backfire his car to scare people, he said he was able to do it by holding the brake down and doing something with the gas. He did this until he blew out his muffler or something then he stopped. I do wonder if I do this because of genetics or learned behavior.

My point was to get you to think of the potential consequences of your actions (something not many people seem to do).

For example: drivers that honk at cyclists as they pass (for any reason) can cause the cyclist to be suprised in a way that causes them to lose control of the bike, and crash.

That could cause injury, or even death (for instance, if the cyclists ends up under the tires of the honker or another vehicle behind them).

Similarly, surprising and scaring someone at the roadside or actually in the road, whatever they are doing, could also cause a reaction that gets them injured or killed. Say someone is changing a tire, and they react to the scare by bumping the jack in a way that causes the car to fall on them (or someone helping).

These are not very likely scenarios, but they are possible, and they have happened.

It doesn't matter if something unsafe is intended as a joke or not--it's still unsafe.

If your intent is to scare them so that they think about the possibility that they could have been hit by a passing vehicle that didn't see them (or didn't care), you might consider that people in general do not typically learn from things like that, they only get angry at the other person (usually momentary, sometimes sustained), and then either blow it off, or transfer that anger to someone else if they can't act upon the person that scared them.

They generally do not learn that they were doing something that could have hurt them (or someone else), and should stop doing that.

Offroader said:
Odd thing is my father told me that when he was young he used to purposely backfire his car to scare people, he said he was able to do it by holding the brake down and doing something with the gas. He did this until he blew out his muffler or something then he stopped. I do wonder if I do this because of genetics or learned behavior.

I used to do that one back in the '70s. Going downhill or coasting, just keep it in gear and switch off the ignition for few seconds and when you turn it back on, Kabang! It was really loud.
Of course this won't work with modern cars as turning off the ignition also locks the steering and stops the fuel flow.
I eventually blew the end of the muffler clean off. It was really impressive to do it in a tunnel or underpass. Scared the crap out of people walking along the road.

But wait, there's more. I was a real hell raiser when I was in high school. I took a model T Ford spark coil and mounted it under the car with a "ground strap" attached to the high voltage terminal that touched the ground. See a hitch hiker and stop for them and hit the HV when they were about to grab the door handle. Bzzzzzt... :bolt: Oh the look on their faces :twisted: I had so much fun with that old Ford coil.

amberwolf said:
For example: drivers that honk at cyclists as they pass (for any reason) can cause the cyclist to be suprised in a way that causes them to lose control of the bike, and crash.

That could cause injury, or even death (for instance, if the cyclists ends up under the tires of the honker or another vehicle behind them).

Sssssssh, keep it down. There are people who will start right in after reading about it. You know how many trolls are on this board, right?

Dauntless said:
amberwolf said:

Sssssssh, keep it down. There are people who will start right in after reading about it. You know how many trolls are on this board, right?

Yes but honking at someone is a lot different because the horn is suppose to signal, I don't agree I'm putting anyone at risk. To be honest, I think that I may actually be making people aware of the dangers of being out on the street and not paying attention. If I was changing a flat I would constantly be looking at the cars coming, I really would not take my eyes off the street for a second unless I saw there were no cars. You have to be crazy to change a flat and to not keep your eyes at the cars coming at you at all times. You can keep your eyes on the street 99% of the time and only look away for seconds when the coast is clear.

If the person was looking at me and aware of his surroundings then I wouldn't lock the rear wheel. Its mostly for the people who are walking in the street, standing in the street, talking on their phone and have their backs toward traffic, basically where they really shouldn't be. It is for those people when you think to yourself "what the heck is this idiot doing in the street".

I feel that by me giving them a scare they will not put themselves at risk in the future. But I am not doing it for that reason, I am doing it because its funny, but I do it also because I'm not putting them in danger at the same time.

This is far different then a car driving past and honking at a bicyclist. I get that sometimes when I was on my ebike and I don't know if I'm doing something wrong or what and the driver is trying to alert me to danger.

Right, you think it's funny, but you're stealing happiness from others for your own gain by making auditory yet false threats. Maybe find your own happiness instead of taking it.

Damn I placed this in the toxic thread because I thought people wouldn't take it so personal or the people reading this subforum wouldn't take it so personal.

Why do you even read the posts on this part of the forum if you are going to get so angry?

You see the thing is now if we come across each other in another normal thread you would probably ignore my posts. I guess its not worth posting toxic threads in the toxic sub forum.

Remember, this is part of being human, not everyone can be saints. Life would be pretty boring if humans didn't have humor.

We do have humor, for things that are funny to us.

Scaring people in potentially dangerous situations is not one of those things.

You say you are not putting them in danger, but you are.

They could bump the jack, knocking the vehicle down on them or someone else (that you might not be able to see, like their kid "helping" them.

They could jump backwards into your path or that of another vehicle behind you.

They might have a health condition (heart, PTSD, seizures, etc) that is triggered by your action.

There's a number of scenarios that could injure or kill them, or someone else.

The danger might not be to them--they could find it not funny to such a degree that they attack you with the tire iron or wrench, and they might be a really good thrower and hit you, or they might be a terrible thrower and hit someone else on the other side of the street behind you. But you would probably not see this as your fault, and blame it on them, even though it would never have happened if you had not done what you did.

This is what I am talking about when I say that many (most) people do not consider the consequences of their actions, and even when they do, they just don't care about anyone but themselves. I see this kind of thing every day, whenever I am away from my home.

Offroader said:
Damn I placed this in the toxic thread because I thought people wouldn't take it so personal or the people reading this subforum wouldn't take it so personal.

You asked a question, so I'm answering it. It's not a personal thing, it's a general thing--problem with attitudes of quite a lot of people that don't consider consequences of their actions. One reason I stopped moderating was because there's too many such people here, and I found myself unlikely to be able to continue restraining myself from removing them from the forum, whether I had the right to do so or not. Simpler to relinquish the power to do so and let others with a better attitude decide that.

It's up to you whether you want or need to use the information provided in people's answers to help yourself change, or to remain the same as you are.

Why do you even read the posts on this part of the forum if you are going to get so angry?
I"m not angry; I'm answering a question that was asked, with as complete an answer as possible (without going into pages of examples).

AFAICT, this part of the forum is mainly for stuff that's either too controversial for the rest of the forum, or for stuff people don't want to come up in a google search (since only members can see this section, AFAIK).

I don't generally read this forum, but when I read ES, I open up the "unanswered posts" and "unread posts" page, after I have looked thru any replies on my "subscribed threads" page, to see if anyone has a question that hasn't been answered, or that I may have further info on that would help. This forum also shows up in those lists. While I ignore most fo the threads here, when I see one started by a member I respect I will at least look at it to see if it is something I can help with.

In this case, I thought it was going to be that someone did this *to* you, or was repeatedly doing it in your area, etc. So I came looking to offer possible solutions if I could think of any after reading the situation. I found something completely different than I expected, but that I hoped I could still help with, by at least planting the seed of consideration and thoughtfulness.

You see the thing is now if we come across each other in another normal thread you would probably ignore my posts. I guess its not worth posting toxic threads in the toxic sub forum.
Why would I ignore your posts? If you have useful information to contribute, or questions that need answers....then you do.

If you were just trolling, that would be another matter. There are a number of those on the forum, that *are* on my ignore list, along with people that ask questions but never come back to reply to those trying to help, or those that start a bunch of threads for the same thing, etc.

Remember, this is part of being human, not everyone can be saints.
Everyone doesn't have to be a saint to consider how their actions affect others, and act appropriately.

If I said that I couldn't help myself whenever while walking around I bumped into someone becuase I felt it funny to do so, regardless of what happens to them because of it, would you find that acceptable?

Most of the time it wouldn't be a problem; no one is hurt, injured, insulted, etc. But sometimes it will knock them down, or knock them into something or someone else. Sometimes they'll get hurt doing that. Sometimes they could get severely injured or killed, depending on their personal condition and the circumstances at the time. Sometimes they'll be angry about it and react adversely, and they may attack, and if they attack someone else over it thinking it was them and not me, would that be funny, too? It couldn't be my fault that any of those things happened, could it? I mean, all i did was bump into them a little bit while walking by, becuase I thought it was funny, right?

That's what I mean...the most innocent "funny" thing you do to someone else could have severe consequences..and it isnt' funny to them, just to you.

A bus driver used to honk at me every day. Even if it was a friendly tap, it became annoying. So much so that I called the transit company to get her to stop.
Not everyone is unaware of the volume of the horn outside of the vehicle. One elderly guy honked at me because he wanted to enter the right turn lane. When I caught up to him at the light I asked him "Don't you know how loud the horn is?".
"It's supposed to be loud" the codger/cager said. :roll: :lol:

Offroader said:

That IS why. This is nothing, we have a whole dumpster of trolls that hasn't even shown up yet. When they do. . . .

Offroader said:

Nah, that'll just mean they get additional opportunities.

Offroader said:

Actually i just click 'new posts' and 'your posts' so that i can get an overview of the entire site. I'm responsible for moderation duties here, so it's my job to see the full picture. I also participate in some garbage posts in OT for kicks. You put this thread in the right place.

Offroader said:
Remember, this is part of being human, not everyone can be saints. Life would be pretty boring if humans didn't have humor.

Well, you have to consider that people have different senses of humor. Maybe amongst your friends, a practical joke here and there is fine ( since you know each other's boundaries ). But you don't know that's the case with strangers. You're probably just being a sociopath in their eyes.

While riding my bike, i've had people yell at me for no reason out of cars, throw bottles at me, almost hit me ( intentionally ), etc while i was just minding my own business. That's been going on for 2 decades. Since i am in a vulnerable position on a bicycle versus a car, i see this as a form of harassment/threat. I am a very attentive and defensive rider and never go out of my way to aggravate anyone.

I don't wear tacky bicycle gear or do anything to provoke harassment. I see these people as taking whatever is going out in their lives out on strangers in the most cowardly way possible.

A few years back i decided that my 45mph bike would be my main ride on the streets. I decided to carry a little something for defense, and catch up to people harassing me and ask them 'what that was all about' at a stop light, when in a defensible position. 100% of the time, they just shirked away like little bitches and rolled up the window, or kept it left up. So i stopped the confrontation there. But i come fully prepared to take it further if need be because i've been tired of this bullshit from people for a long time.

So yeah, there's some people like me with chips on their shoulder from constantly being harassed and threatened just for riding a bike, in the friggin' bike lane, minding my own business.

There's a lot of bad karma out there and you are just contributing to it when you do dipshit things like this. Just sayin.

It's stupid, not funny..
A guy changing a tire on the side of the road is already worried about getting hit, scaring him is the same as kicking someone on the ground. What's your message, "you should stop having bad luck"?

Nah, grow some empathy, won't you?

I try to put myself in the shoes of the person making the joke...and also the person at the butt-end of the joke.

Sometime I appreciate the humor and laugh about "dude, you really got me that time" (no harm, no foul)

Other times, I have seen GIFs of people who honked their horn loud and the person using their smart-phone on a bridge suddenly tensed up and the phone fell in the water. Throwing someone in the pool (on camera) as a joke is funny, until you find out his expensive phone was in his pocket.

spinningmagnets said:
Other times, I have seen GIFs of people who honked their horn loud and the person using their smart-phone on a bridge suddenly tensed up and the phone fell in the water.
Or the person themselves falls off the bridge, or backwards into traffic. (less likely, still possible).

Throwing someone in the pool (on camera) as a joke is funny, until you find out his expensive phone was in his pocket.
Or you find out they don't know how to swim, and they drown, or they have PTSD from a previous near-drowning accident and panic from flashback and are not only unable to swim but actively fight whoever is trying to help save them (if anyone does), and die, ro inhale so much water they end up with pneumonia and die later. Or they happen to have their pet ferret (or whatever) in their coat, and it drowns.

Or any of a bunch of other possible consequences.

They all sound unlikely, but almost certainly every one of them has happened to someone, at some time, because of an unthinking "joker".

Back