• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

FVT Firmware for E-Skateboards

WeeChumlee

1 kW
Hi guys

I have two boards, one I built myself and one bought.
The one I built has a 200A ESC from AlienPowerSystem (so a Flier ESC), a 50mm 270KV motor, AlienDrive motor mount on Caliber trucks. All running on 8S (2 x 4S 8000maH).
This board has, for me, enough speed and hill power but what i like about it the most is that it has phenomenal range. I regularly do a 13/14 km (9mile) run and the voltage is then always 3.79/3.8V. (I only always charge to 4.15V)
The negatives are the problems I have had with the various Flier ESCs, this being the third, (to be fair Bruno always sorted me out with a new replacement) and the braking of these ESCs is not the best.

My bought board is the Backfire (Lecdec, Mellon and various other names) board.
Bought it while my board was waiting, once again, on a new ESC.
The board is not as fast and has a maximum 8 mile range. All exactly as expected. It is not slow, I am about 90kg and I get about 15mph no problem. (This is fine for commuting I find). Also pulls me up hills fine.
What I like most about this board is the acceleration curve and braking of the ESC. (For some the acceleration may be to slow)

Now to the point of the posting here:

I am considering another pneumatic build. I wish there was more choice here, only place I see a kit for sale is AlienDrive. If anyone has an alternative to check out I would appreciate it.
For this build I was considering another FVT ESC, but with e-Skateboard firmware. Like my bough board.
I contacted FVT and after just 3 mails they actually sent me a file with E-Skateboard firmware. Obviously with the clause that it is untested (as it obviously can be used on our may board configurations).
I do not know how to attach the file here, is that even possible? Suppose I shall have to read up on that, if I can I shall.
If anyone wants the file I would be happy to email it to them.

Cheers and have a great weekend.

Ah, read the FAQ's.

Sorry, should have done that first. Duuuhhhh

Anyway, here is the file

Attachments

• SkateBoard_brakeLine_150926.zip
    4.2 KB · Views: 333
All the yes.

So to ask the dumb question, what does one do with a .hgm file? I assume I need a usb connector for the computer-fvt link rather than the programming card. Any chance you could write up a quick run down of what we need (windows OS ok?) and how to do it, or is it exactly like formatting a USB?

How are you finding the program? I heard you could not adjust the settings at all on the skate version, they locked you out or something so I wasn't too keen. Does it have any negative effects on the ESC, such as not being reversible back to stock or something?

Thanks though! You might have made me very happy :)

Hi Bandaro

I am afraid I cannot help you as yet.
I do not have the USB connector or a new FVT controller at the moment.
I inquired at FVT more out of curiosity if they could provide one, before I decided which controller I would eventually go for.
As these controller, particularly the 6S 120A version, are very cheap and seem to be pretty good (happy with the one on my bought board) I thought it can't harm to ask.
As they were so helpful I shall indeed get a FVT (or two) for my next build.
I will not mess with the one I have now as I am happy with it and "never touch a running system" comes to mind.

I just passed the file on as I thought it may be of use or interest to someone out there.
When eventually get round to my next build I will try and flash the file - if I succeed I shall update this post.

No worries, just sent an email chasing up those answers, so I will let everyone know how I go. The FVT is cheap and reliable in my experience, would be a great "poor mans" option to the vesc.

There's a firmware flash option in their USB interface software.

I have one or two FVTs that I can't quite get to work, so I might try flashing them and see if doing so fixes anything... (would be good to know how it differs from the regular firmware, though)

Wonder if this might work with the XERUN / EZRUN which look to be the same platform rebranded byt FVT and Hobbywing? If i get some fiddling time i'll see if i can get the FVT software to chat w/ my XERUN.

Great discovery and thread WeeChumlee!

brent said:
There's a firmware flash option in their USB interface software.

I have one or two FVTs that I can't quite get to work, so I might try flashing them and see if doing so fixes anything... (would be good to know how it differs from the regular firmware, though)

Hi Brent - did you ever flash the FVT with the skateboard firmware ?

Back