Gas Gas G Cross Country 1.0 smokin deal...get my kids into ebiking

unclejemima

100 W
2023 Gas Gas G Cross Country 1.0 for $1250 CAD or about $900 USD. Brand new...dealer has about 15 of them left in medium and small frame size.

I want to get the kids into ebiking...and this might be a good way to start.

I'm assuming this is far better than a pre-built Amazon or Chinese no-name machine for the same price?

Is the mid-drive torque sensing? I'm not sure...It does have a Yamaha motor....
1712431914881.png

Appreciate the advice!

1712431867394.png

I think you need to consider ongoing running costs and planned obsolescence

Those Yamaha motors are expensive to maintain and the battery is part of an integrated system, so factor in battery replacement costs when the time comes to replace it.

The problem with these factory systems is after a few years they become obsolete and spare parts are difficult or impossible to find.

My (admittedly lightly used) Haibike - Yamaha is seven years old and the battery still functions well (it a hardtail used off road exclusively) The other day battery consumption was 11 wh/mile on a 17 mile off road ride with several hills mixed in. I think Bosch is the best "e" system, but Yamaha isn't far behind. However, I don't know whether an "e" is the best bike to start kids on, and am glad we didn't have the option when mine were small.

A lightweight bike not meant to haul an adult of over 150 pounds. Looking like an off-road machine but not really.
How old are your kids ? Oh are they wearing a helmet now ?

Not a POS. It's a Yamaha, I like it.

I think it's a great price for a torque sensing mid drive. No throttle. Rider has to pedal it like a bike to make it move, not a twist-n-go moped. Probably the safer alternative for kids. It should have a quality battery with premium cells. Yamaha isn't going to use 79 cent generic cells.

A lightweight bike not meant to haul an adult of over 150 pounds.
Where does it say the max weight is 150lbs on that bike?

My kids are 13 and 15. We’ve always instilled riding with helmets is “cool”. They have good Giro helmets and actually want to wear them.

I’d rather them on this (gasgas) than a Jetson bolt from Costco for example. At least they will have to pedal with a torque sensor non-throttle machine.

A semi-decent component machine is $500usd without ebike motor. I ride an ebike cause I can go further and longer on rides. Would be nice if the kids would also be interested in that at a younger age.

I just don’t get why the bike is so cheap…usually last year models are 20% off kind of thing. I wonder if it has anything to do with the new CE certification thing being proposed?

That model bike is being advertised at £2000 in the uk.

GasGas manufacture very good trials motorcycles. Although these ebikes are probably outsourced to China.

I think you have a great idea Dad, because:
a) Yamaha as a brand name for many years over varied product lines sets a target on a recreational or musical etc. technology and then proceeds to make money by satisfying customers, a trusted name.
b) Gas Gas has an excellent brand name from what I can tell because I live near the largest dealer ( Kaplan USA ) who BTW also maybe overstocked
c) Perhaps you could get a CASH discount on two because the dealer will be pushing the I.C.E. machines on the time payment plan.

I'm talking about off-road use and trying to go up a steep hill will lug the the motor making it heat up quicker. As when you over load a drill it gets hotter.
Riding on flat or down hill the motor last longer before heating up.
It's s good looking bike and was originally sticker at 1,995.00usd ?
Let us know how it works out. It just hard to believe a mid drive at $995.00 Henry Ford did it.

Last edited:
came across this deal on the weekend
to the OP, its a great deal on paper
Name brand frame and drivetrain system
I am considering one as well
Could you give a review of the bike?
Good quality?
How does it ride?
Is it capable?
Range?
Component spec is about right for the price point if it wasnt an ebike
As an ebike the build at that price point is there anything that comes close?
Not much info apart from Gasgas info
No owner or online reviews
Its half price likely because the bicycle market as a whole is on Fire Sale mode

• I got one from Country Corners in Exeter Ontario
  • I got to test ride the bike and it fit me great
  • Component spec was as shown online
  • I was surprised at the paint and weld quality, very nice, thick paint and uniform weld beads
  • They spent the money on the frame and Yamaha drive system
  • All else was in line with the price point and featured Gasgas branding
  • Solid value when compared to other ebikes under $1500
  • Check one out before they sell out

Back