• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

GCinDC's Giant DH Comp

I watch your videos too, while I wait for my kiwi drop out adaptors.

I already knew that turnigy batteries were better than zippys but I was going to go with zippys because I would save money and it would be easier to mount them because of their shorter and fatter size vs. the turnigy batteries. Although after watching your video with the cell voltages you convicted me that I needed to make the turnigy batteries work in my setup. This is the first real proof I have seen that shows in real time how there is less voltage sag in the turnigy batteries!

Scott said:
...while I wait for my kiwi drop out adaptors.
awesome, it's a great combo. i look forward to seeing your build...

regen was working great today, but the system ran much hotter! i'll have to record the display again since regen wasn't working before... ambient was hot too tho. yesterday, i made it 3 miles w/ no bars until my hill, but today, i saw heat bars after only one mile. granted i was riding like an animal.. :twisted:

couple longer shots here:
[youtube]zJa-kUexga8[/youtube]

GCinDC said:
i think only trackman watches these anymore, but here's another.

Thanks Uncle Greg :mrgreen:

Looks like you are really killing your batteries man. Nice way to break them in. I would be pulling another buy order for some more batteries in a month or two if you keep this up :p . Looks like you are really enjoying the min-e. I still cant believe how quiet the motor is with the sin wave controller.
Are you getting the new motor sometime soon?

Trackman417 said:
hopefully. :mrgreen: they said the first week of september but there may have been some snaggles.

will come laced but i'll have to dish, or relace which would take an ebike minute (month) lol.

it's an h4080 btw

GCinDC said:
Trackman417 said:
hopefully. :mrgreen: they said the first week of september but there may have been some snaggles.

will come laced but i'll have to dish, or relace which would take an ebike minute (month) lol.

it's an h4080 btw

When I ordered my motor things went well. There were no snags for me. Just getting electricrider to deliver my motor was the only "snag" I came across. Mike, though he means well, did not deliver the motor for a week :cry: . I hope things go well, can't wait to see how the 4080 will perform with the min-e :)
Remember: pics, pics, and more pics. Heck, maybe even a video or two 8) :wink:

Are you going to try and make a new fiber glass frame box?

good Q re the batt box...

i'm starting to think about the winter. i don't see hauling the battery indoors with the controller/display attached. and i assume the pack won't balance charge w/o the controller/display.

charging these zippies at 1C in freezing temps will just about kill them.

i'm actually wondering if i should use a light duty heating pad on them overnight to keep them at 60F or something... it will get to 0F in the garage and i can't think of a better way to shorten the life of the pack. hmm, i wonder if i should use a 250W charger instead and let it run (and balance) longer...

anyway, i would like to fix up the enclosure again. maybe even some CF next time, but don't hold your breath. lol.

in other commuting news:
- got stung by a bee on the neck this morning. still hurts
- either my new giro remedy helmet is bigger than my old one (same nominal size) or going 10mph faster (50mph) makes it lift off my head. i'm adjusting it constantly now, like a football player does..

Possibly the most epic thread ever
Makes me want to participate again
Good work

Someone mentioned the CA.... What the CA needs is an active module that can cut power other than through the throttle. Like an crowd designed Arduino powered SSR with hall current sensor (like on my LTC BMS V4).

That controller BMS combo is incredibly ambitious. Could be a real game changer.

When I am a rich playboy again I am going to have to out-do you :wink:

-methods

I think you are super ambitious with the CF after the fiberglass box was kicked. I don't thing a heating pads are way to go man. Especially with them being so close to the batteries, god forbid something went wrong. I would get a decently sized blanket and just lay the entire thing over the frame after every ride and wait a bit for things to warm up and then charge them?

Re, the vid:
What happened to the rest of the conversation? Or was it just the usual banter?

methods said:
Possibly the most epic thread ever
you've been in the woods too long. i'm a total hack with a camera and take no credit for the adaptto kit which is fracking amazing. i really don't know what's taking so long getting it to market, but I guess they just want it bullet proof. from my little testing, i've not had any issues at all.

sweet of you to say it tho. :p

and no one looks more forward than me to you getting back in the game. talk about an inspiration. i've missed you man!

The guy on the scooter looked intrigued! I always watch yer vids but haven't had proper internet for almost 2 years :evil: .im always out at other humans houses watchin ebike shenanigans :lol: .

H.I.M said:
Hello. What kind of spring is in your rear shock? 500lb? How much do you weigh?
awefully personal question there, H.I.M...

you can't read it?
20130414_172612.jpg

searched the thread for coil and found the answer here.

500lb coil. i'm 175lbs. welcome to the forum.

Trackman417 said:
What happened to the rest of the conversation? Or was it just the usual banter?
usual banter. he didn't asked me if it recharged when i pedaled, which is all time #1 question. we exchanged emails so i cut that out. here's the rest:
[youtube]0h5urpaQ_QU[/youtube]
i like his voice. someone needs to songify it. :lol:

GCinDC said:
usual banter. he didn't asked me if it recharged when i pedaled, which is all time #1 question. we exchanged emails so i cut that out. here's the rest:

Audio is quite clear... My gopro only picks up brake squeal, how do you get such good audio?

hero 3 with open back. 300% better than my old hero 1. no audio effects applied whatsoever.

[edit: is yours mounted to the fork directly? mine isn't here. i posted a pic awhile back. it's stood off the frame w/ the motorsports mount - huge diff there. any physical vibration that's not even audible sounds like torture...]

i only just put the open back on to shoot some family crap, and now terrified i'll leave it on in rain! but sound is finally, well, acceptable. :wink:

too busy to find the post, but someone recently was asking about regen power, enough so a rear brake wasn't needed. i meant to follow up that i could understand if his build ended up that way, but would try like hell not to plan for it. i've heard that kelly's provide stupid hard braking power via regen, but you better have lipo nanos, and when i ran the numbers on those babies, well, i didn't want to spend $800 on my tiny pack. so that's it. i've just been meaning to comment. it nearly killed me to spend $250 on dual piston brakes, but i'll never regret it. i was barely willing to spend that much for a donor bike for my first build. lol.

i love good brakes. i love braking with my rear. i even skid a bit from high speed from time to time just to hear the bear claw sound of the dual sport on the road.

i've got a vid going up with just such a moment - i didn't mean it - might have freaked out the cyclist. you'll see.

i wanted to cruise around the march for the 50th anniversary, but had a gig. just had a minute to see where they were gathering in the am. nowhere near the throngs i'd expected. and i've seen nothing of the news of the event so don't know how it went.
[youtube]itKZKfhUmN8[/youtube]

Rockstar Games presents:
Grand Theft Auto : DC EBIKE Edition
Special Charred Box Collectors Edition DVD comes wrapped in overcharged 1S lipo cells that puncture when the pack opens for the authentic ebike road warrior experience.

Full face helmet, fire extinguisher and fire blanket recommended for extended play.

GCinDC said:
i like his voice. someone needs to songify it. :lol:

I could, but I ain't got time for that. Seems like most folks ain't got time for that. Especially if they have a house fire... You got bronchitis?

[youtube]QHaVc5i-Dzs[/youtube]

:p

hey greg, maybe that's me about regen !
Yes I can tell you that the kelly @max regen brake hard, seems like an ABS system on the back wheel, addicted to strong front braking, it almost feel like drifting from the back wheel with weight transfert...
would you explain, what is the problem with strong regen ? I use 30C 8mAh Zippy's rated 5C charging...and did not had trouble with cell beeing unbalanced before they reached under 3.7 , even with 165Amp peak ?
and I had like 6% of regen 0.7Ah max regen amp of 17.5A with the flat ride and kelly set as middle regen power...I almost not used the rear brake cause the regen brake is so much better, I found I had to pull too hard on the rear brake to stop and prefer concentrating on front braking...and letting the regen engage as you got a better stop if you push rear first (pressure the suspension) and then front avoiding some mass transfert effect...I use SHIMANO SAINT 4P...
but I guess it had a role in cooking the windings ...you'll love your HS4080 :D :D

DMes%20pdfsGreenshot_2013-08-29_23-00-43.jpg

I did not reach the top 60km/h speed because of the trail ...

(EDIT : in case of doubt, CA value are with CA external shunt calibrated...I don't know where but I rode that the zippy K (korean not sold anymore) were puffing fast...and when I choose the Zippy Flightmax, I think I noticed that the Z compact one's were build with same "1C size" than the Zipy K I watched... re ...so I avoided them...), and if I'm not wrong having a bigger Amph pack give you less sag and so more charging C (5C for mine) , It was much better using a 16Ah pack than twisting 2 x 8Ah pack) (8*5C = 40Ah vs 16*5C=80Ah , I understand regarding the chiness standard that If I regen 17.5Amp in 40Ah rated cells they won't like it , as the pack gives me 165Ampmax burst while being rated 30C : 30*8=240 amp...produce sag while 30x16=480 Amp (theory...) is ok)

dan974 said:
would you explain, what is the problem with strong regen ?
it's a problem you might not understand. it's called WINTER here. and it wasn't you. it was another guy. apologies for forgetting.

i'm not up on all the lit, but my understanding and experience is that charging batts with a lot of current when they're very cold is a great way to shorten their lives. that said, 5c charging is great. btw, you wrote "8*5C = 40Ah vs 16*5C=80Ah". i might change the unit to amps tho, so for your 16ah pack, charging at 5C means 80Amps, not amp hours..

-17.5Amps regen for you is fine, but for a 10ah 2C pack, it might get abusive, esp at freezing temps... i don't know what the guy was planning. i think he wanted the maxE, so no doubt he was planning a bigger pack.

regen is great if the motor/controller can handle the heat (which yours couldn't. :cry: ), but the main point was to PLAN on using ONLY regen, INSTEAD of installing rear brakes. you'll never know when you need 'em.

in any case, i'm starting to think the lower charge current the better for longer life... no science. just a feeling.

my gut feeling is that if the batts are at freezing temps, i should be charging and discharging at about half the max rate when 70F...

p75 : " wannesd wrote:Is the regen braking good enough to go brakeless on the back?"
charging at 5C means 80Amps, not amp hours..
you're right =) it was a bit late ...rewinding is done I had to reorder halls sensors :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: cause I did not received them from china...hope to see the phoenix running soon, I'm still not weaned and a poor windsurfing winter did not acted like rehab :D , your urbans rides still rocks, how fast does the drivers runs in your vids ? I guess a kind of 50km/h ?

exploring little falls. found a trail. tried a new mount. very troublesome. and of course a jump. bottomed out. time to adjust settings. fork's not sounding too good these days. hope you like, or don't mind, sitar, lol:

[youtube]kShF6kZEHxc[/youtube]

listening to thé musique, i thought, watching Greg riding in Bombay's traffic would be epic ;)...if you wanna tune your fork, you can try changing the regular 5W, to some 7.5W, i did it founding it to soft for MX ride vs Dh...never tried it in the rear, the trouble with the Dh comp is that. you need to remove it to tune it....I think that for your mainly urban rides you'll love going stiffer rear, and 7.5w , just remember to open a little wider the rebound (going 10w would need changing the valves spacers I think...) classic MX tunning...

dan974 said:
if you wanna tune your fork...
thanks, but i just had it professionally rebuilt!

either it was trashed and they did the best they could with it, or they F'd up. i took me a long time to get it installed, so i felt silly calling up and asking about that one fork he did three months ago... but i probably should have. maybe time to record some of the springy sounds it makes. it used to have more of sucking sound.

i've NEVER bottomed out the front, until yesterday.

obviously i should try to adjust it too, but i've never understood what would be a good setting for drops.

on the street it could be tighter, but i don't mind it plush.

the rear didn't completely bottom out - or i didn't it the frame clang - but it'll need some attention. i totally forgot i'd never checked the air, since the fire took my high pressure pump. i guess i need another of those..

maybe time to record some of the springy sounds it makes.
I think a part is broken so there's a cap or something hiting... are your sure your compression side is still working ? how's the rebound ? if the rebound setting is not working anymore you compression leg is not working and you just have the spring ...so it push you up as strong as you push it down...it's not normal to bottom out with the front and that kind of jump :shock: :? :( something should be going wrong....if it push you hard back on strong braking ...no more rebound and can be dangerous...as the spring is working you can think you still have some shcok absorbtion ...it's dealable in front shock, ...on the rear it will kick your ass head first on the bar after a drop =)

one missing loctite drop and a few ride later some pieces disassemble...it can happen often after servicing ...

and if one elastomer stops is missing on the spring side and so on max extension the compression part is hitting, bottomed out on it instead of the spring leg...

it used to have more of sucking sound.
probably lamination on compression part...which means probably air inside...not done the right way I think :roll: 3 and so if you lost absorbtion @ the end @ fully extension for exemple ...it can hit a stop ...

i've NEVER bottomed out the front, until yesterday.

obviously i should try to adjust it too, but i've never understood what would be a good setting for drops.

do you have only rebound adjustement , or compression (High speed/lowspeed too ?) if you bottom out, the spring could be not stiff enough too for your weight+ e accessories...
sorry about that butt I think that you should watch it twice...(sorry for my frenglish =)

Back