• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Giant battery charger issue - advice needed!

suzyf921

1 mW
I bought a Giant Twist bike a month ago and it came with a European plug, and a white plastic cheap adapter. All was fine for about a month but then the charger melted the plug and shows sparks when I plug it in. I figured I'd replace the plug since I wanted a US plug anyway, and that of course melted and popped my circuits in the house!

Now since I replaced the plug, Giant doesn't' want to cover the cost of a new charger since I modified it. Even though the adaptor they supplied was clearly also melted and the problem is with the charger. I'm massively POed about this of course, and I would like to know:

1) if they try to charge me the retail cost of about $150, should I pay it or can I get a cheaper compatible charger replacement somewhere else? e.g. non-Giant.
2) is there any value in keeping the old charger - if they aren't going to pay for a new one, then I don't want to give them the old one! Does it have any value, and can it be fixed?
thanks for listening!

To source another battery charger you need to know what chemistry and the voltage of the battery. and the charger charging rate in Amps ?

I can only answer the latter query.
The experts here are very helpful and generous with their time.
You need to remove the board(s) from within the shell and post-up some good close-up pic.s and they will likely walk you though a repair strategy.
Look for toasty, smelly things and puffed-up capacitors while you are in there and don't forget to post a pic of the underside of the board[look for burnt traces].

I'm guessing the plug adapter melted because of an internal fault with the charger. You replacing the plug is quite reasonable and they know it. They just trying to avoid their responsibility. Considering you just bought a whole bike from them that's a pretty shoddy attitude.

The original melting/sparking failure could have burned down your house and killed your family (remote, but possible). I'd be offering them the opportunity to reappraise their position, and perhaps keep you as a happy customer.

I can't stand bad customer service - it's a cross somewhere between bad manners and thievery.

Thank you all for your advice. I don't have the charger with me now (it's with Giant Boston) but will definitely take it back (if only to see what the specs are so that I can replace it.) And thank you PunxOr for your expression of righteous indignation - I have printed out your reply and will take it with me to negotiate further!

pictures of your dead charger will be more useful to diagnose the problem.

you can buy replacement 24V SLA chargers on ebay or aliexpress for $30.

you will need the plug from your current charger that matches your battery to solder onto the new charger so retrieve your defective one from the dealer and check back in here on your thread.

I'm positive that we can find you a new charger much cheaper than $150. Wow, that's like a 3x markup at least. $80 might be reasonable, and once we know enough info, we can likely find you something in the less than $50 range. Even if the terms of the warantee don't cover a new one free, that price is a pure rip off.

But the cruicial info we need is what chemistry the battery uses, and the nominal voltage. The Giant website just says lithium ion. So not likely it's lifepo4. Guessing at it, I bet it's Limn.

Get us all the info you can about the battery, especially if they will tell you the end of charge voltage. That's the number we need to suggest chargers that are cheaper. Then you'd possibly have to find the same connector as the old charger had, so that could be a good reason to get the old charger back if it's an oddball connector.

BTW, chargers blow all the time. Better ones less often, but it can be a bit like a random thing. Eventually one of your replacements will last.

Lastly, carrying chargers around on the bike all the time can damage them. Carry in a knapsack if you must carry a charger.

Lots of vibration and temperature swing, bad for batteries, etc. One jolt can knock something loose. Last night I noticed a loose bolt when I got to work, had to tighten it with a Leatherman pliers and used white out as emergency threadlocker to get home. Some firm foam underneath or wrapped around items can help soften the impact.

I wanted to update the post about the Giant battery charger issue. Giant Boston eventually convinced "California" (the mothership I guess) that the charger should be replaced, so they have provided a new charger free of charge. Hooray!!

However in browsing this forum I got a severe case of Upgraditis! I found myself reading til 2 or 3 in the morning... so I decided to move up to an E-bikekit.com kit - which should arrive tomorrow! I'm going to convert an old Kona Nunu which fits me much better than the Giant - has front shox and lots of nice features, plus it's RED! So now I'm shoppping for tires, rack etc. - reading up on the virtues of the different types of slime etc.

Thanks to all of you who responded to my previous post - and I'll take pictures of my new red upgraded Kona! :D

if you open up the charger and take pictures we may be able to help you fix it. if you wanna have 2. the next one may break down in the same way.

your new ebikekit.com motor is for the rear or front? use torque arms and if you use it on the fron alloy suspension forks make sure you get the C-washer for the lawyer lips on the dropouts.

someone may be close by where you live with experience and can help. are you gonna go with lifepo4 or the old SLA? all the fast guys here ride on lipo from hobby king.

This is the same charger I received from Sunthing, mine reads 36v. I will open it today and take a pic.

36v.jpg

Back