Giant DH Team build Clyte 40XX motor but which rim?

litespeed

100 kW
So I'm building my DH Team large up and have a question that keeps nagging me. Should I do a 18" moped/motorcycle rim with a DOT tire or just stick with a DH 26" rim with DH tires? If I do the motorcycle rim I'll go with the 4080 or I'll stick to the 4065 with a DH rim. The bike will prolly end up in the 75 to 90 lbs range with 200 lbs of me on top hitting the trails pretty aggressive. I'm going to run 24s 3p lipo and a lyen 18 fet controller...just have to order the motor tonight so give opinions please.

What would you do?

Tom

I know the motorcycle rim/tire will be heavier but it has a higher speed rating (93 mph?) more resistant to flats and made to handle higher loads. Considering I'll be off road riding quite a bit with a 15 lbs rear hub I wonder if the larger rim is a no brainer? Are pinch flats common in off road environments with standard DH tires with DH Tubes? The bike will probably just get into the low 50 mph range. I don't plan on much at that speed but you know how additions start. I had a few recommend the motorcycle/moped route so I'm second guessing myself in the 11th hour.

I hate when there are to many options and no 100% winner. I don't want to build this twice.....

Tom

Just saw this!
I would go with the 4065. It will be more economical, you can ride longer, and it won't overheat as fast. I looked at some other posts by you and it seems that you went with the 4065. Good choice mate 8) I went with the 4065 as well.
I first got the higher speed 3540 motor and noticed that it uses up a lot more amps then a 3525 would, I also hear that some people were actually trying to fry the 3525 motor. So my new motto is to get the motor with more torque.
Hope all goes well!

I had a BMC before and it worked well but I wanted something that I could get real aggressive with without the fear of breaking gears and a higher top speed. My next build I will go mid drive for the best of all worlds but my business is picking up so I have less time to tinker (still haven't finished my drop out adapters I'm building for my DH Comp!) and build one from scrap.

Tom

If you go the 18" route don't expect to use the bike offroad ever. Pedal hits are the norm with the 18" rim. I'm running 26" hookworms for commuting and 2.5 Maxxis for offroad - both run with DH tubes and I have yet to get a pinch flat. I top out at about 45mph with my HS3540.

I went with a 26" Psycho DH rim to keep the weight down. I have 2.7 tires now but may try 3.0 like the Bombers use if I have any issues with these. I also have DH tubes....really heavy DH tubes I might add. Everything has taken fore ever up to this point from deciding, to shipping from china to delivery to my wheel builder and now a few technical problems which hopefully will get sorted today. Wheel builder was right on top of the build pretty fast though. I hoping for a 45mph top speed myself!

Changing out the tires a big deal? I'm just going to keep the knobby tires at this point or until I freak myself out. This bike will never be a commuter or at least not for me.

Tom

If you plan to ride mountain trails, you need to build lighter. Under 80 pounds at the most, 70 much better. Don't use a motor that is too fast, for it will overheat very quickly climbing in a 26in wheel. 24in is the smallest wheel that will ride good in the mountains, that would make 25in OD with a fat DH tire. A 26in with a 2.8 tire makes 27 and rides real good, but will need a slower motor. A heavy rim and tire will eat a lot of your performance with inertia, and mountain trails require the best acceleration that you can achieve so I prefer the best DH rims and tires to any motorcycle wheel. Get better top speed with higher voltage, 24s Lipo will give speed to a slow motor and an 18 fet 4110 controller can be upgraded to 150A, that is enough to make a climbing beast.

A big motor with slower winding is best when the trails are bad or technical, but that means serious suspension mods to achieve proper rebound tuning. A light motor will be good at speeding the nice trails, but would need liquid cooling to climb slow technical trail. I use 2 bikes to ride the best of both slow and fast trail conditions: One with a big slow motor and the other with a lighter, faster motor.

dsc03382di.jpg

dscf1058y.jpg

GCinDC said:
litespeed said:
Wheel builder was right on top of the build pretty fast though.
how much of a dish did you request? :p

Oops, forgot to add that to your thread. The stock 135mm DH Comp off set is is 78.20/56.80 mm with the largest side obviously being the free wheel side. I added a 7 speed freewheel which I will have to spread the rear stays to 148mm so we added about 11.5 mm to both sides.

Tom

You will not use the 7 speed freewheel. My first builds had shifters and gears, but now I build them single. Get the ratio that you can pedal the heavy bike with no power, that is all that you will really need. If you add a Schlumpf HS drive you will be able to pedal the bike at speed, the 2nd speed at 2.6 ratio is an interesting extra feature if you feel the need, and willing to spend the money. Stretching an alu swingarm makes it weaker and mess the alignment of the axle. Keep the bike simple and robust, mine have suffered many crashes without damage because I build them to crash.

I wondered about the single speed thing in the beginning but already made the jump to the 7 speed. I'll try it out first and if unneeded I'll pull it and go single speed. Should be a monster for torque and a decent top speed. Wish me luck.

Tom

MadRhino said:
If you plan to ride mountain trails, you need to build lighter. Under 80 pounds at the most, 70 much better. Don't use a motor that is too fast, for it will overheat very quickly climbing in a 26in wheel. 24in is the smallest wheel that will ride good in the mountains, that would make 25in OD with a fat DH tire. A 26in with a 2.8 tire makes 27 and rides real good, but will need a slower motor. A heavy rim and tire will eat a lot of your performance with inertia, and mountain trails require the best acceleration that you can achieve so I prefer the best DH rims and tires to any motorcycle wheel. Get better top speed with higher voltage, 24s Lipo will give speed to a slow motor and an 18 fet 4110 controller can be upgraded to 150A, that is enough to make a climbing beast.

A big motor with slower winding is best when the trails are bad or technical, but that means serious suspension mods to achieve proper rebound tuning. A light motor will be good at speeding the nice trails, but would need liquid cooling to climb slow technical trail. I use 2 bikes to ride the best of both slow and fast trail conditions: One with a big slow motor and the other with a lighter, faster motor.

dsc03382di.jpg

dscf1058y.jpg

excellent ! i see you have plenty off-road experience.. any links to your builds? i was thinking to get greyborg with xlyte 5405 but im a bit concerned about the weight. But again i will be doing mostly easy offroad riding, no technical singletracks..

Back